What The? I Don't Even! Battleship?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Northstar
  • 27 comments
  • 1,722 views

Northstar

The Original Party Worm
Premium
Messages
24,773
United States
Anoka, MN
Here's the trailer for Battleship?



I was more shocked to learn this had nothing to do with the Asylum or Uwe Boll.

Apologies for the subtitles, was the only version on Youtube I could find, let me know if you find a better one.
 
"E9"

"Dammit! They're sinking our battleship!"

/movie
 
Hopefully it has a giant shark in it.

I would also accept a giant Tuna.
 
LOL. The only subtitle version you fund is in my language? Suprizing...
 
Maybe....maybe they're just making the trailer look like it's supposed to be based off of the board game as a joke, but the movie doesn't really have anything to do with it?
I'll just go with that because I don't like the idea of Liam Neeson in something like this.

I don't care if I'm wrong, but I'll convince myself that's the truth until I have proof that this is as awful as it appears. I just want to preserve the image in my head of Liam Neeson being awesome for as long as I can.
 
I like how this film stays true to the board game, what with the alien ships and the giant dome-shaped force field.
Seriously though, all I can say is that judging by the trailer I just watched, it looks naff, and confound those Slovenian subtitles!

And if you didn't already know, the film is directed by Peter Berg (Hancock, The Kingdom).


Also, Liam Neeson and Rihanna, in the same movie? What?
 
Maybe....maybe they're just making the trailer look like it's supposed to be based off of the board game as a joke, but the movie doesn't really have anything to do with it?
I'll just go with that because I don't like the idea of Liam Neeson in something like this.

I don't care if I'm wrong, but I'll convince myself that's the truth until I have proof that this is as awful as it appears. I just want to preserve the image in my head of Liam Neeson being awesome for as long as I can.
There has been a rash of movie rights being bought up for properties like this. Milton Bradley, Parker Brothers, and Hasbro are probably rolling around in money from the contracts, Scrooge McDuck style.

There have also been reports of movie rights purchased for Magic 8-Ball, Quija, Risk, Candy land, Monopoly, Magic: The Gathering, View Finder, and Stretch Armstrong. I am guessing that half of those are rumors that started as jokes aimed at the others, but they are definitely trying some of them.

I also heard Asteroids had been shopped out as a movie.
 
And yet they haven't made a GTA movie...although a TV series would suit it more.
 
And yet they haven't made a GTA movie...although a TV series would suit it more.

The last thing we need is another video game based movie.
 
Come on guys, it doesn't look that bad. No worse than Transformers, at least.

So what if the board game doesn't have aliens? I'd imagine a movie based on Battleship would have to have a lot of things that the board game doesn't, like characters and a basic story for instance. All that's important is that ships are destroyed in a spectacular, entertaining fashion. :p
 
All that's important is that ships are destroyed in a spectacular, entertaining fashion. :p
So it's going to be a Mr. Bay film then? Look out, Transformers 2. You might have company in the Walmart $5 DVD bin soon. :p
 
Come on guys, it doesn't look that bad. No worse than Transformers, at least.

So what if the board game doesn't have aliens? I'd imagine a movie based on Battleship would have to have a lot of things that the board game doesn't, like characters and a basic story for instance. All that's important is that ships are destroyed in a spectacular, entertaining fashion. :p

Honestly I was expecting something more along the lines of "The Hunt for Red October" where the whole story comes down to a battle of wits not random explosions.
 
TB
So it's going to be a Mr. Bay film then? Look out, Transformers 2. You might have company in the Walmart $5 DVD bin soon. :p

That actually made me laugh.

Also, why not?, a Mario Bros Movie was made, and it meet up expectations, in fact, it overpass expectations by being worst that what you could ever imagine, maybe this one wants to follow those trends.
 
How do you write scripts for this junk?
 
TB
Hopefully it has a giant shark in it.

I would also accept a giant Tuna.

Put in a Killer Whale and I'm set. :lol:
 
The last thing we need is another video game based movie.

They wouldn't be so bad if people just did them right. A proper, well directed and awesome special effects Halo movie would be awesome and make a killing. The problem is, a majority of the people that want to make a video game movie have probably never even played it. :crazy:

Edit: Just watched the trailer. What exactly does it have to do with the board game, other than the title?
 
TB
Hopefully it has a giant shark in it.

I would also accept a giant Tuna.

It has aliens. How's that?
 
They could be shark-like aliens.
 
How do you write scripts for this junk?

First, you'd have to drunk, high, or tweaked. Then you'd have to be willing to get your name across any way possible. Then you just put caution to the wind, basically.
 
First, you'd have to drunk, high, or tweaked. Then you'd have to be willing to get your name across any way possible. Then you just put caution to the wind, basically.

The sort of person that a producer would love to shake hands and listen to, right? Out of thousands of other un-employed script writers.

:lol: :lol:
 
They wouldn't be so bad if people just did them right. A proper, well directed and awesome special effects Halo movie would be awesome and make a killing. The problem is, a majority of the people that want to make a video game movie have probably never even played it. :crazy:
The only kind of Halo movie that would be good is one based on Reach. A movie with a nearly silent protagonist, whose face we will never see, will likely make it hard for non-gamers, familiar with the story to connect.

But if we are going to make a Halo movie I suggest they drop the plagiarized version and just go ahead and work with the original concept, Larry Niven's Ringworld. Better story, better characters, and a mostly original concept.
 
Back