What the point of "next lap invalidated" in time trial?

• Thread starter Ken Nitr0
  • 9 comments

Ken Nitr0

Wrom wrom
Premium
KenNitro
In time trial, if you hit the walls on the last section you get the "next lap invalidated"

What's the point? On all the time trial maps there's no way to abuse the walls anyway and if you happen to go off and hit a wall in the last section it means you lost a ton of time anyway because the sand/grass slows you down. You can just select "restart" and instantly restart in the same section so it does nothing but be annoying.

With running starts all I can see "next lap invalidated" do is be annoying and waste a couple seconds and button presses.

I really hope they do away with that in GT5.

I agree. I have done it many times and like you said, it is very annoying. It means that you can not push as hard in the last sector in fear of wasting your next lap. I also find that whenever i set a new fastest lap it is allways on the invalid lap.

It's to stop folk from cheating on the warmup lap therefore getting a faster entry into the timed lap, ie jumping the last chicane at Deep Forest gets you a handy speed increase at the start of your fast lap.

I agree that there is no benefit on most tracks, but that's why the feature is there.

Yeah I figured that's why it's there, but in GT5P at least the only place I can possibly see it being used for cheating is on the oval track, the other 3 tracks in time trial there's sharp corners before the straight leading to the start of the lap counter so all you'd be doing by wall riding/bouncing is loose a ton of time.

Like The-Spitfeather mentions it makes you all jittery and nervous on the last section because you know if you so much as slightly nick the wall, like not even take some paint of.. it's over :indiff: And it allways happens when you're pushing the car to the limit right when you are about to set a record.

I just wish there was some other way to handle it so the legit players wouldn't be so hampered by it. Like some way of calculating how much time and at what velocity/angle you hit a wall and invalidate the lap/next lap based on that, so that slightly nicking a wall wouldn't activate it.

EDIT: Or better yet, use the new GT5 damage model to handle it. If you just brush the wall, well that wouldn't do anything, nor would it be able to help cheaters. But hammering into the wall to wall ride/bounce would damage the wheels enough that they'd get so slow there's no point in doing it.

btw I'm not talking about cutting corners, that penalty should be there, just the part about touching walls.

Last edited:
On Suzuka it stops people from getting a head start for the next lap on GT5P. If the rule wasn't in place people would just go through the grass at the chicane and carry alot of speed to the straight.

It's to stop folk from cheating on the warmup lap therefore getting a faster entry into the timed lap, ie jumping the last chicane at Deep Forest gets you a handy speed increase at the start of your fast lap.

I agree that there is no benefit on most tracks, but that's why the feature is there.

Maybe you're talking about Trial Mountain.:sly:

But to reply to the question, it's to eliminate cheaters. For example: wallriding the last corner at HSR Forward to get more speed.

YES!!!:D

I can't wait to actually play on these tracks in HD with a new physics engine and cockpit view, finally and this part of the forum will be a real ghost town.

Yeah I figured that's why it's there, but in GT5P at least the only place I can possibly see it being used for cheating is on the oval track, the other 3 tracks in time trial there's sharp corners before the straight leading to the start of the lap counter so all you'd be doing by wall riding/bouncing is loose a ton of time.

1) The last corner at Fuji F/GT can be taken faster by using the massive runoff tarmac on the left at the exit and leads to vastly increased speed at the line for the next flying lap, and this also applies to the runoff on the left at the corner entry to prevent a wider and therefore faster entry/exit.

2) The last corner at High Speed Ring can be taken faster by staying on the throttle and bouncing off the wall/barrier, so this lap invalidation feature (most of the time) prevents a faster start to the next lap by exploitation of this occurence.

3) At the exit of the last corner at Eiger Nordwand you can again get a faster speed at the line by going over the dirt on the left hand side with all 4 wheels, because the straighter the car, the more throttle you can apply.

4) At Suzuka East, a considerable amount of time can be sliced off the current lap/next lap start by taking copious amounts of kerb, but the lap invalidation feature prevents anyone trying to take too much time off by putting all 4 wheels on the inside kerbing dirt.

What I want to know is why this feature was not in place for the GT5 TT Academy combo at Indianapolis where too many people were taking liberties with turn 11 :lol:

All the best
Maz

I agree-the 'next lap invalidated' penalties need to be there, in most circumstances. But when I'm hotlapping at London, and I get the penalty for tagging the wall 3 full turns (and 12 seconds +/-) before the start-finish line, the whole thing seems a bit silly.

Implementation PD, implementation!

Back