What the X1/X2010 has done for future versions

  • Thread starter Thread starter FishHunters
  • 28 comments
  • 4,713 views
Messages
1,973
United States
Florida - USA
Messages
Flsurffisher
I realize there is a LOVE/HATE relationship going on with the X1. Personally, I really like it. I also believe its inclusion in GT5 may very well be an excellent thing for the future!

What is this game primarily about? Cars! and MORE cars! Driven by millions of people around the globe in a very, very good physics model.

The game itself has brought attention to a lot of cars and events and characteristics of cars, and racing circuits.

Prior to the X1 I didn't know Red Bull had a racing team. Prior to the X1 I didn't know much about F1. Prior to the X1 I didn't know who Adrian Newey was. I will never drink a Red Bull, but you can bet I'm going to follow Red Bull racing, Sebastian Vettle and Adrian Newey! I can't wait to go see a LIVE F1 race.

Don't think that fact (attention) won't escape auto manufacturers and racing teams.

Therefore I believe in future versions of GT you'll see more engineers and manufactures bang on PD's door to provide things like the X1 for future games, because it'll bring ATTENTION to them and their products.

For that, I believe it'll be good for all of us who enjoy the GT series.
 
Back when it was first revealed, I was amazed with the X2010. Now, I don't care for it that much, but it is still a rather unique experience.
 
Imagine B-spec grinding without it?!
 
Imagine B-spec grinding without it?!

I hear that. 👍

The X2010 is a good piece of marketing between Red Bull and PD and I've a feeling other companies in the gaming industry will try to emulate this kind of exposure for their brand.
 
I don't like the car. It would be fine if it didn't make me have to put a stranglehold on my wheel in order to drive it straight. Driving in a zigzag is incredibly boring and shaking back and forth and fighting the wheel is lame.
 
I love Red Bull as a brand. Sponsoring so many kinds of sports and such a good team in Formula 1. I was always a fan of Ferrari but them choosing for Massa again made me switch over to Red Bull. Vettel en Webber are great drivers.

The car is great too for the challenges and grinding. Nice to see how cars could be if there were no limitations.
 
It's not really about the car itself. It's about what showcasing what you've done, what you can do or what you have is attractive to people who want to add their unique "things" to the game in future versions for self promotion or marketing. And how that could benefit (us) the consumer.

It was a great idea and extremely well presented.
 
(...) Therefore I believe in future versions of GT you'll see more engineers and manufactures bang on PD's door to provide things like the X1 for future games, because it'll bring ATTENTION to them and their products.

For that, I believe it'll be good for all of us who enjoy the GT series.

Interesting point of view. A lot of manufacturers especially Mercedes and McLaren would come up with extraordinary concepts. Having events in future GT games that will reunite the RB X2010 (or maybe its evolution) with its rivals from Mercedes and McLaren will be great for the game. And since PD has licencing issues with including F1 cars in the game, we'll have something similar to F1 but very special at the same time.. I hope it happens.
 
Having events in future GT games that will reunite the RB X2010 (or maybe its evolution) with its rivals from Mercedes and McLaren will be great for the game. And since PD has licencing issues with including F1 cars in the game, we'll have something similar to F1 but very special at the same time.. I hope it happens.

See, now THAT would be REALLY COOL!
 
X1 is for my b-spec and rubber banding. I'm glad it's in the game.
 
I'd detune the X1 slightly and use the Mclaren license and a couple others to design them. Think about this:

The X1 is about the ultimate car with no regulations. So how about going to manufacturar's, giving them a clean sheet of paper, and saying "Design the best god damn racing car ever made - no rules, no regs" And see what happens. That would be a proper "Dream Car Race".
 
I don't like the car. It would be fine if it didn't make me have to put a stranglehold on my wheel in order to drive it straight. Driving in a zigzag is incredibly boring and shaking back and forth and fighting the wheel is lame.

You need to turn active steering off (for the shaking) & turn down the power to about 75%. It's quite driveable then. Gradually up your power in races 'til you're back up to 100%. :dopey:
 
I did the Indy 500 in it, started it on FFB 10 and ended up just unplugging the power to the wheel. My arms were going to fall off.
 
I like that it's there, makes the Indy 500 easy, so I can get my Jaguar XJ13 quicker, and the X1 is perfect for B spec
 
I like all the collaborations that PD has done.
The Nike car was a fun car and intersting to look at
The GT By Citroen is a brilliant car. I hope Citroen do decide to put it into production.
And the Red Bull is a really good car. I don't know why it gets so much hate (noobs driving them online doesn't help matters) because the FGT was designed to be as fast as possible and that never had as much hate. All I hope is that PD are working on a rival for it with someone else.
 
Prior to the X1 I didn't know Red Bull had a racing team. Prior to the X1 I didn't know much about F1. Prior to the X1 I didn't know who Adrian Newey was.

Didn't have to check, to know you are from the USA...

Although F1 has been pretty boring lately. Too big difference between the cars. This year it seems to be getting better though.
 
Thought they were cancelled? It was on the newspage on here a while back

I don't know if they cancelled them. Just knew they were supposed to build them this year. Also so it on some TV show, because the price tag was gonna be way out of the reach of the average non-billionaire! :)
 
Didn't have to check, to know you are from the USA...

Although F1 has been pretty boring lately. Too big difference between the cars. This year it seems to be getting better though.

Yep! USA! I tell people I missed my calling! Should have grown up in Europe and today you'd know me as a famous race driver! lol
 
I don't know if they cancelled them. Just knew they were supposed to build them this year. Also so it on some TV show, because the price tag was gonna be way out of the reach of the average non-billionaire! :)
May be the road car was canceled to make 6 of the New Race car version in GT5.
143g6110.jpg

VS
144g7078.jpg

GT Has had lots of concept cars from Different makers before, the X2010 just raised the bar.

The currently advertisiing deal is for toyotas replacement for this concept car
944g5365.jpg
 
Last edited:
Didn't have to check, to know you are from the USA...

Seriously? Hell, I'm from the USA, and have been following F1 since there were American drivers and champions! (Anyone remember Phil Hill or Dan Gurney?)

Try not to paint us all with the same broad brush. Or should I assume you're a criminal, since you're from Brazil? ;)
 
Prior to the X1 I didn't know Red Bull had a racing team. Prior to the X1 I didn't know much about F1. Prior to the X1 I didn't know who Adrian Newey was. I will never drink a Red Bull, but you can bet I'm going to follow Red Bull racing, Sebastian Vettle and Adrian Newey! I can't wait to go see a LIVE F1 race.

I was about to say something like, "Not a fan of racing?" in response to you saying you knew nothing about Red Bull Racing, but since you've expressed greater interest in F1, I'll change my tone to one of satisfaction, pleased to hear that the world's premier motorsport has captured a bit of your interest.

Keep in mind that Sebastian Vettel, though very talented, isn't without peer on the current F1 grid. There's several extremely talented drivers out there besides Vettel. Selecting Vettel for GT5 doesn't mean that he's by far F1's most amazing driver, although he is very capable behind the wheel.

Don't think that fact (attention) won't escape auto manufacturers and racing teams.

Therefore I believe in future versions of GT you'll see more engineers and manufactures bang on PD's door to provide things like the X1 for future games, because it'll bring ATTENTION to them and their products.

Nah, I think you either dramatically overestimate the reach of Gran Turismo, grossly underestimate the appeal of Formula One, or a combination of both. Granted, including RBR, the X2010, and Sebastian Vettel does expose some extra people to this world, but this exposure is relatively miniscule.

Formula One already has a global fan base of over 600 million people, which is almost 100 times the total number of copies of GT5 presently sold, and upwards of 60 times the number of copies the GT games typically sell (per copy). Many of those GT owners are already at least somewhat familiar with F1, if not already F1 fans, so if something like this can bring in a few tens of thousands of new fans, that's something, which is better than nothing, but a drop in the bucket next to hundreds of millions.

Ferrari doesn't need to bang on PD's door in the quest for greater exposure, because anybody living in a developed nation knows the name and their racing pedigree, not to mention their cars. McLaren likewise doesn't need go run to PD looking for exposure because they've already got 600 million people watching their cars race every season. Any given F1 race gives these teams countless times more exposure than inclusion in GT ever could.

Seriously? Hell, I'm from the USA, and have been following F1 since there were American drivers and champions! (Anyone remember Phil Hill or Dan Gurney?)

I'm from the US and I know those fellas. If memory serves me, I don't think Gurney was actually a champion, though. Not in F1, anyway.

Although F1 has been pretty boring lately. Too big difference between the cars. This year it seems to be getting better though.

Have you been watching the 2011 season at all? The last race in particular was pretty entertaining. A buddy of mine that has hated F1 has even started following it this year and even enjoyed that last race.

Regarding the "big difference" between the cars, it's not exactly fair to regard them as being dramatically different. Sure, when we talk about performance between the cars, we highlight those differences and discuss them as huge, but realistically they're not that far off. I know I've been mentally noting over the last few years, when watching qualifying and looking at the lap times, that usually most of the cars post laps within one to two seconds of each other, with only a handful falling outside that range. For a lap that's maybe 90 or 100 seconds long, lapping even two full seconds slower than the fastest guy is still just a difference of 2%. Considering all the countless opportunities for tiny mistakes on the driver's part, getting most of the cars to fall within 2% is pretty amazing. That F1-hating buddy of mine and I frequent the local dirt ovals, where he in particular loves the racing, but if you look at their qualifying lap times, the fast lap in the top car class might be 15 seconds but many of the same types of cars might be within three seconds of that, and that's a difference of 20%.
 
Last edited:
The RedBull X2010 is hardly groundbreaking for the GT Franchise. Haven't you ever seen these two?


Nike_One_2022_p03.jpg


formula_gran_turismo.jpg
 
I've always enjoyed the fantasy mega-cars like this. I remember ("back in MY day"), in the original Need for Speed, there was a car called "The Warrior" that, like the X1, ate everything else for breakfast. Unlike the X1, it had no basis in reality, but it was a lot of fun in any event. I like almost any game that throws reality out of the window for something fun (and funny), like flying X-wings in a WWII flight combat game.

While the X1 has more of a "real" origin to it than most fantasy things like this, I bundle it into the same category. Something over the top ridiculous, fun, and downright hilarious at times.
 
I'm from the US and I know those fellas. If memory serves me, I don't think Gurney was actually a champion, though. Not in F1, anyway.

Nope, but he WAS an American F1 driver. I should have said "American drivers, and even champions" instead of "American drivers and champions". Clumsily worded, it was. :)


Have you been watching the 2011 season at all? The last race in particular was pretty entertaining. A buddy of mine that has hated F1 has even started following it this year and even enjoyed that last race.

Oh, indeed (to quote Omar Little). I love it - KERS, adjustable rear wing, the tire performance issues - lots and lots of passing opportunities and lots of exciting racing. And Vettel looks good - damn good, really - but he's beatable. It astonishes me how quickly teams can adapt and compete when they're really on their game. Last year it seemed like Red Bull had it all, but this year it definitely looks like others can take the fight to them. Should be a fantastic season!

Regarding the "big difference" between the cars, it's not exactly fair to regard them as being dramatically different. Sure, when we talk about performance between the cars, we highlight those differences and discuss them as huge, but realistically they're not that far off. I know I've been mentally noting over the last few years, when watching qualifying and looking at the lap times, that usually most of the cars post laps within one to two seconds of each other, with only a handful falling outside that range. For a lap that's maybe 90 or 100 seconds long, lapping even two full seconds slower than the fastest guy is still just a difference of 2%. Considering all the countless opportunities for tiny mistakes on the driver's part, getting most of the cars to fall within 2% is pretty amazing. That F1-hating buddy of mine and I frequent the local dirt ovals, where he in particular loves the racing, but if you look at their qualifying lap times, the fast lap in the top car class might be 15 seconds but many of the same types of cars might be within three seconds of that, and that's a difference of 20%.

Talked with a buddy who runs autocross at a national level; couple years ago he pulled a third-in-class; I asked him what the difference was between first and third. 0.005 seconds, on a nominal 60-second lap time. That's some damn close racing!
 
Back