What to do with controller when using a wheel?

United Kingdom
GB
SiW500
Seems impossible to turn on the PS5 (from rest) using a connected Thrustmaster wheel alone, instead either have to turn on using console power switch or DualSense controller, then you can hit the PS button on the wheel and take over from there. But doing the latter leaves the DualSense controller on, usually tossed to one side or on the floor, and which remains live and sounds can be heard from it's speaker until it turns off automatically (power saving).

All of which isn't the end of the world. Can also manually turn off the controller as soon as the wheel is working. Just seems a few additional steps that's not the normal plug and play console experience. Am I missing something obvious / doing it wrong?

I use the remote control you can get for the ps5. Had to get it because lg’s WebOS doesn’t carry espn+ for some unfathomable reason and the ps5 needs to stay in the living room because hockey and f1 are locked up by espn+. Well sorta… you need an additional cable sub to get the f1 races.

I just leave the controller turned off, and hit the power button on the console itself, unless I’m doing something in the menus.

Last edited:
As Watto has said before me, I too use my controller by plugging in earphones. Helps to hear a car's tyres and opponent car positions better for me.

Of course, most wheels don't have analogue sticks, so a controller is still necessary for photo taking/livery creation/looking around in replays.

Oh, and when changing car or changing oil, the rumble on a DS5 feels really, really good :P

Hold the PS button on PS5 controller 10 seconds and it will turn off.

I always keep it close in case I want to do photo mode of a replay incident for wallpaper where the wheel dpad is insufficient.

I am trying to set up a next level haptic seat and need the PS5 controller using the 3.5mm jack. I can’t get the T-gt wheel and the PS controller to work together. What am I doing wrong?

I am trying to set up a next level haptic seat and need the PS5 controller using the 3.5mm jack. I can’t get the T-gt wheel and the PS controller to work together.
The settings to send the sound via the controller are in the PS5 audio settings. You can also check the controller settings as you should turn off the automatic inactive power off feature as well cause you will have to leave the controller on while using the wheel simultaneously.
What am I doing wrong?
Using audio out for the haptics. SimHub is far easier despite leaving you only available to use those settings the developer wants and is free to use. We have a thread with tons of info on it with GT7:

Back