What Type of Spectator Mode would you like to see??? (wish list)

  • Thread starter Thread starter spidahmanX
  • 17 comments
  • 1,308 views
Messages
11
Messages
zooKreature
:indiff: It just popped in my head that spectator mode should be added, havent heard nada about it so Im askin right here right now...

Here i go:
I've been watching videos of the new games coming out and the one that struck me was Gears of Wars 2, well the spectator Cam in multiplayer, how its moves and where its located, I would like High up cams in all corners of tracks with transitions from one to the other not just swapping like camera views always do... along with regular replay style camera angles from the game, all integrated seamlessly < word???

Also Remembered about forza tv and pgr tv, I mean gotham TV that would be killer for tournaments that my non good driving self could be in without racing and losing miserably....

That's something i would be very interested in for sure. Sorry for bringing up x360 games into this but the camera on gears 2 really caught my attention... I don't hate, I'm a gamer and buy all systems and play the games that I want, not trying to start anything. Just speaking from a tech point of view...


any other games you guys have played with a cool spectator cam or a cool cam view you would like to see on gt5???? since I haven't played all myself....
 
I'm not so bothered about spectator cameras, since I'd much prefer to 'haunt' the drivers if I was spectating but I think there's a lot you can do with replays.

Probably the best I've seen was in the Defrag mod for Quake3. Essentially it was a free roaming camera that you could set up to follow spline paths, triggered by a timer.

Some of the videos that came out of this mod were the most breathtaking in-game footage I've ever seen and the fact that it gave complete camera freedom meant the demo makers could go wild and really stamp their individual style on the finished movies.

Right now the youtube clips of Gran turismo all look pretty much the same, since everyone is stuck with the same old fixed cam angles.
 
Maybe a few fixed position cameras around the trackside with the ability to pan and zoom. These could be used by stewards maybe?
 
I think that if private rooms get the go ahead, then PD SHOULD implement some form of adjudication spectator mode. This would give those adjudicating an overview of the race, and the ability to hop to any car (and view) or incident.

It might also be handy to program an incident button into the game. Say for instance some guy rams you off the track, and an adjudicator was not watching, a quick press of a button would log the last five or ten seconds of play (in the form of a replay), for review.

Off-topic, but sort of related to private rooms and the spectator mode, I propose that PD impliment a Gran Turismo API accessible through traditional web services.

Said API would allow users of private rooms to access the inner workings of the races they have just ran. For instance, there could be an option to download all replays, tabulate race data, check car specification against requirements etc. The list is possibly endless, but I believe that A Gran Turismo API, would be a tool of immense importance. 👍
 
Id like a spectator mode. Don't know how much i would use it but it could be handy for say proper GTP events where you could have race stewards watching & if a certain incident occurred then they could rule on it. Or even if you just want to watch a friend online race or view an event you no longer are part of would be useful as well.
 
Besides some external spectator cameras, I'd also like to be able to get inside each car, and seat on the passenger side. You should be able to rotate and pan your view, just like you would with your head. This would allow you enjoy PD's driver animation (arms, head and body movements), which by the time GT5 is released, will be complete with arms crossing, 720º wheel rotation, exact shifting action, etc.
 
The spectator view I liked most in GT4 was like a swing arm following the car in one shot for a very long time. Best example is when you enter the very long end stretch of Nurbie and the camera just keeps on following you, first from the front, then back, then all the way up to the front again. Sweet!

As for spectator puppets (off subject I realise) I say forget about them all completely, as they are bad for graphics performance and silly to look at anyway.
 
There are some great ideas in this thread.

I think being able to ride as a passenger in spectate mode is a great idea. I'd love to ride as a passenger with some of the fastest drivers! Giving spectators the ability to act as a marshall is also a good idea. Not sure how this would work though - people will abuse the system. Maybe people could apply to be a mashall but would have to commit some time to it per week to review allocated incidents with other marshalls.

In spectate mode, I'd be happy to be able to change between each race car as one can in replay and also have the TV camera views. Would be nice to be able to manually pan and zoom the TV camera to film your own footage for replays.

Not too bothered about being able to roam / walk about the race circuit. They would have to remodel the circuits for that so that new viewpoints don't expose areas not modelled / rendered. Perhaps some static seats in the grandstand / various spectator stands. I'd like to watch some competitive races. As long as I get a race programme and stopwatch! :D
 
Great thread!

I would like some realistic view points (already mentioned seats in grandstand), Marshall Stands, Lookout Towers, Press Booth, Pit Lane, Emergency Crew, Safety Car, Helicopter, Crane Camera, etc.

It would be nice to race in private rooms, and have the option to grab a snack and watch the next race from any perspective you want (in car, stands, TV type coverage, etc).
 
Id like a spectator mode. Don't know how much i would use it but it could be handy for say proper GTP events where you could have race stewards watching & if a certain incident occurred then they could rule on it. Or even if you just want to watch a friend online race or view an event you no longer are part of would be useful as well.

Should be able to review all race incidents and have the ability to give penalties, and control yellow, blag flag, drive thru penalty. race stuward mode will only have access with a password access given before the race. For spectator mode it would give access to all racers that are out of the race DNF's.
 
Spectating would be an interesting problem to solve, it'll have to add additional bandwidth load on the race host so at the very least it would have to be limited to some fixed number of spots perhaps based on the hosts connection speeds. If however you started a private room, the game determines your bandwidth speed and allows so many players to join, if those players wished to sit out this would probably be fine as there's no additional bandwidth.

For something larger a simple race status screen showing who's leading, lap times, etc, and then making the replay available for download after the finish would be a nice experience.
 
Spectating would be an interesting problem to solve, it'll have to add additional bandwidth load on the race host so at the very least it would have to be limited to some fixed number of spots perhaps based on the hosts connection speeds. If however you started a private room, the game determines your bandwidth speed and allows so many players to join, if those players wished to sit out this would probably be fine as there's no additional bandwidth.

For something larger a simple race status screen showing who's leading, lap times, etc, and then making the replay available for download after the finish would be a nice experience.

Maybe if Bandwidth would be an issue, it might work for LAN Party hosted games?
 
Maybe if Bandwidth would be an issue, it might work for LAN Party hosted games?

This is why Sony need to break with a habit and have all games hosted centrally. Gran Turismo is their flagship game, and as such it demands hosting on a par with its status.
 
This is why Sony need to break with a habit and have all games hosted centrally. Gran Turismo is their flagship game, and as such it demands hosting on a par with its status.

Lets hope they do add this feature in the full game.
 
As far as spectator views, the one that shows the most is the helicopter view.

This is why Sony need to break with a habit and have all games hosted centrally. Gran Turismo is their flagship game, and as such it demands hosting on a par with its status.

Exactly what I've been thinking. They wouldn't need that many dedicated servers to host all the online GT games.
 
Didn't Prologue sell a few million.? I'd have thought they would need to support a few hundred thousand simultaneously!
 
TV camera sets. Like your actually watching a telecast of a race.
 
Said API would allow users of private rooms to access the inner workings of the races they have just ran. For instance, there could be an option to download all replays, tabulate race data, check car specification against requirements etc. The list is possibly endless, but I believe that A Gran Turismo API, would be a tool of immense importance. 👍

+1 Excellent suggestion and crucial for tournaments.
 
Back