What tyres do you allow yourselves in Single Player 'self imposed challenge mode'?

• Thread starter benjoi84
  • 5 comments
Spain
Spain
Obviously, you can but any tyres for any car but when you're trying the Single Player content what are your perspectives on what cars should be the limit for Racing/Sports/Comfort varieties?

At what point does a sports car become racey enough to justify RH? When does a family car become tuned up to the point it needs SM?

I normally go with what the event specifies. I like to try and match my car and tuning choices with the rival AI for the purpose of being challenged for the majority of the race.

For a Gr.4 event (usually WTC700PP) I usually run a Stock Gr.4 car (roughly 640PP) and use the excess PP to add the Adjustable Transmission (adds around 8-9PP making the car sub-650PP)

I normally buy Intermediates and Wets as standard - I will also pick up the Racing Softs but mainly to use if I'm still lagging behind after say a rain affected race and want to try and make up some time. Otherwise I stay with the default RHs or add RMs if there is actually a strategy for the race like the Human Comedy endurance races where both are viable options without necessarily being advantageous over the other.

Those are attempts to preserve the integrity of the competition/challenge and how I use the excess PP. I don't add power to max out the PP personally especially on Race Cars.

I'd transition from Sports to Racing tyres if the car I'm building is basically all but a Race Car like my Stage 3 weight-reduced BNR32 - which is essentially a Gr.4 car without the designation.

If I'm struggling to tame a particularly difficult road car, I might try a softer compound, or move from Comfort to Sport to help with handling.

Last edited:
I was thinking more along the lines of... What's the most powerful car you're happy to drive on Sports tyres/Comfort tyres?

I raced the 89 M3 Evolution using Comfort Softs, and I was pleasantly surprised. But I can imagine someone else wouldn't mind whacking Racing tyres on a GT86, for argument's sake, to make their race more easily winnable.

(Obviously I'm talking about races where the tyre limit isn't specified)

Last edited:
When I cruise in road cars, I use CM or SH. But most of my time is spent in race cars, whether it's doing the daily workout or sport mode. In those instances, I use RH.

I don't have as much fun on the softer racing compounds. Especially the RS. They feel way too grippy. On GTS, on the other hand, I almost always went with RS for time trialling.

Latest Posts

Back