What view do you use in GTS?

• Thread starter Gordy749
  • 17 comments

Which View do You Primarily Use When running WRS Time Trials

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
United States
Thinking I'd be clever and get more view around my car, I started using the view where you can see your entire car. Coincided this with transition from controller to a T150 wheel.

I found I still couldn't see backwards and I could barely hear/ feel what the car was doing, so I moved back to the in-cabin view, which feels a lot more satisfying (I'm really racing, especially when using the VR headset) but situational awareness isn't so great.

What view do most people find effective, or is it more a matter or personal preference?

Its pretty much personal preference.

Prior to joining the WRS and racing online I always used the bumper cam. Since joining the WRS I switched to hood/roof cam because it gave me a better view of the actual space the car occupied/ how close I was to hitting a car, guardrail, etc. I also liked it better driving in traffic but I hate that you can't look to the side of the car just behind.
Anytime I try driving with the chase cam I feel disconnected from the car and it feels like I'm maneuvering it with a long pole in front of me.

Its pretty much personal preference.

Prior to joining the WRS and racing online I always used the bumper cam. Since joining the WRS I switched to hood/roof cam because it gave me a better view of the actual space the car occupied/ how close I was to hitting a car, guardrail, etc. I also liked it better driving in traffic but I hate that you can't look to the side of the car just behind.
Anytime I try driving with the chase cam I feel disconnected from the car and it feels like I'm maneuvering it with a long pole in front of me.

Yeppity yep yep, I feel like I'm trying to drive the car but I'm stuck way out the back like I'm on one of those fire engines with the wheel in the back.

@Gordy749 Hate to be a party pooper especial as we encourage you to post but can you please keep general chit chat stuff like this to the Pit box thread 👍

Here https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtp_wrs-pit-box-want-to-chat-need-help-post-here.112001/

p.s. Bumper cam for TT's and Races, in car for fun ;)
I've added a poll to this to make it a bit more useful.

I set the poll to accept votes for 30 days, we can archive the thread after that.

And BTW, Bumper Cam FTW.

I started out with using cockpit view, but ended up switching to bumper cam as it was more immersive and providing me with an overall better view and sense of speed.

I don't really think of it as bumper cam however, it's more like a central cockpit view, but without the cockpit.

Normally use Roof cam, but for WRS I use cockpit (clicked roof on the poll as I misread the question)
OK - I changed the poll to allow you to change your vote. Don't normally like to do them that way, but I'll make an exception for you. :sly:

I should also add, when I used controller, I drove with Kiddy cam. That was a long time ago, on GT3. When I bought GT4, I got a wheel. I found bumper cam to be the most realistic in terms of being the most like driving a car. I think cockpit view is cool for watching replays, but I find the extra surroundings and hand/wheel motion distracting. When you are driving a car, your eyes should be up the road, and you really don't see the dash, steering wheel, your hands, etc. I think in car/cockpit is a bit more like the view from the back seat, or the roll cage camera. Only my opinion, of course.

I use bumper-cam view. I think EDK summed it up well enough; cockpit view is cool but too distracting. I like to see the road.

In the first edition I used the chase-cam because it was just epic to see the (at the time) detailed car on track and that was the norm’ last century. In reality it felt useless to me when your actions needed to prempt the picture.

I switched to bumper-cam and stuck with it as I feel I’m driving the car.

I haven’t tried VR yet but I’d hope that it has improved the field of vision such that driving in the cockpit actually felt more natural.

Bumper cam mostly, sometimes in car view. I enjoy the realism of the bumper cam. Of course I think the most realistic view is the hood view, or should be, if it had a rear view mirror I would use that one. As far as in car view it can be fun to see the gauges work etc, but, I already have a wheel so seeing two wheels (mine and the interior view wheel) at the same time is distracting and kinda seems like the chase view to me as not realistic.

I use bumper-cam view. I think EDK summed it up well enough; cockpit view is cool but too distracting. I like to see the road.

In the first edition I used the chase-cam because it was just epic to see the (at the time) detailed car on track and that was the norm’ last century. In reality it felt useless to me when your actions needed to prempt the picture.

I switched to bumper-cam and stuck with it as I feel I’m driving the car.

I haven’t tried VR yet but I’d hope that it has improved the field of vision such that driving in the cockpit actually felt more natural.

To answer that Dan in a word. Yes, field of vision is better. have you often wondered why it is you can only see half a car in cockpit view, or only half an interior mirror plus one door mirror, now we know why. In VR you get the full works, you can even turn your head and look out the side windows beyond the apex for your exit point.

I've said before that the quality is not to good when looking at any distance, but at close quarters and, in and around the car its not to bad.

What cam view: Sorry I don't have a single preference it depends on the car and combo.

Cockpit view. I think I made a conscious decision from the start to use it with motion control.

Last edited:
Interesting the amount of bumper cams. I always use cockpit view just because it feels like the ‘truest’ representation of each car.

That said, I make a few exceptions like the Peugeot 908HDi with it’s bizarre “no view to the right WHATSOEVER” window!?! Dunno how the hell that would work in the real world...

Back