Whatever happened to n/a?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tower Turn 13
  • 8 comments
  • 861 views
Messages
3,587
I guess it's fun to stuff HP into cars but by the time you switch out engines and transmissions and suspensions and chassis and slap in turbos and tear off weight they practically aren't even the same cars.

I seem to remember the GT series (maybe earlier games) having certain cars that were listed as naturally aspirated, meaning they weren't really needing the HP boosts. I personally love n/a cars that don't need turbo chargers.

In GT5 it seems like especially with b-spec you NEED to upgrade your car no matter which it is (a few like 908 aside).

Anyone else miss the attention GT gave to cars that were perfectly great off the lot? I believe there was even a n/a race series in the past.

Not griping on GT5 because obviously I'm obsessed with it enough to join a forum about it...Just remembering one of the things about the old games that I enjoyed.

EDIT: or maybe I don't fully understand the term. It seems to be a type of engine that doesn't require supercharger for air induction/boost. Perhaps there are cars in GT5 that don't use superchargers and still shovel out power?
 
I've come across a few cars in GT5 that you can't turbo/super charge. I know the M5 is one of them
 
Naturally Aspirated means just that. Its not that it *can't* be turbocharged, its just that it doesn't have one.

2 types of artificial aspiration are turbo chargers and superchargers.
 
Naturally Aspirated means just that. Its not that it *can't* be turbocharged, its just that it doesn't have one.

2 types of artificial aspiration are turbo chargers and superchargers.

That makes sense. But I seem to remember in an earlier GT you actually couldn't put superchargers or turbos on the n/a cars, and that they had races dedicated to the engine type. Was it 4 maybe? I don't remember it's been a while. I could be wrong. Anyway they always seemed to be fun cars and didn't require as much down-cash to make them race worthy.
 
If you check my car list at the top of this forum, cars which can neither be turbo- nor supercharged are listed (though you will need to read the key carefully to understand the listing).

There are, it should be said, piggin' loads of them - all the NSXs and almost all the Ferraris (except the F40, naturally) are quite obvious examples.
 
I remember the past GT had N/A option in tuning and N/A races, at least I remember in 2,3,4 and I cannot remember 1. I think they decided to change it to replace with engine tuning. In GT5 for the cars you cannot turbo you can only do the engine options, so maybe they just replaced it with new wording but it does the same thing?
 
I can't comment on older games, but you can still pour more HP into a n/a car with the ECU tune, engine stage 1-3, etc. Personally I keep most of my cars stock, as you say many are just fine straight from the dealer. If I do tune one up I usually buy a second to keep stock.
 
You cannot charge Ferrari or Lambo I suppose, and you cannot turbocharge a Ford GT. I doubt you could turbocharge an NSX as well.
 
the gamie needs more races that support the use of stock vehicles in general. i should not have to stuff a fart can racing exhaust on an LFA so it could even remotely have a chance of catching the juiced Zonda C12 in the supercar trial.. its annoying... because of this half my cars never get used as much as i would like them to be... i dont want to have to modify a C63 to beat an Evora.. (Even though i admittedly did up a full tune 875 horsepower C63 with a stage 3 turbo and all racing parts to see what would happen.. however.. the C63 i did up was not my original C63.. i bought another one and modded that one.. i do not touch a car without making sure i have whatever vehicle's stock bretheren around first)
 
Back