whats a good headeset

• Thread starter PARAGON GT
  • 12 comments

PARAGON GT

Premium
United States
Motor City
R MK XXV
I'm thinking of getting a new headset for use with my 360.
The standard ones performance is so hit or miss, I feel like have of my gaming time is spent saying "what was that . . ."

I was thinking of getting the Turtle Beach Ear Force X1 Headset, maybe even going with the Ear Force X3 Wireless head set. But how do those stack up against other brands that are out there?

What have you gotten, and what would you recommend?

How old is your current mic? The older MS ones kept breaking on me. Then one I bought about 6 months ago, with a new different design, has been flawless.

Turtle Beach headsets are brilliant. A bit pricey but they're apparently worth it.

Around 4 months old. Up till recently, I have hardly used it.

It seems like I have to balance the ear piece on the edge of my ear so that the boom will sit close enough to my mouth in order for someone to hear me.

If I place the ear piece where it should be, all I hear is " What was that, huh, etc etc.

My BIL loaned me his Turtle x3 for the weekend while he is out of town.
So I'll be giving that a try to see if I like it. When I mentioned that you could set it up to only hear the game in the head phones, my wife chimed in with a semi sarcastic "Go and get a pair already!" So that is working in my favor.

But I was also curious what others are using, and what to stay away from.

When I had my 360 I used the Microsoft Wireless mic and never had problems with it.

I'm also searching for a high quality headset to replace the cheap 360 standard mic, but I don't want to have two earphones ( like the Turtle ones mentioned above ).

Any ideas ?

So far I could only find some alternatives on Ebay - after a closer look they seem to be just as bad ( or worse ) regarding sound quality than the MS product.

AX360.jpg

I have these http://hardware.teamxbox.com/general/75/Audio-Xtreme-360-Headphones/ and while they're not cheap they're definitely worth it. They add a whole new dimension to gaming. You can read about them at the link above or read a review here http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews/general/60/Audio-Xtreme-360-Headphones/p1/

There is a new "throat" microphone being released which is licensed by Modern Warfare 2. Haven't seen any reviews on it yet but might be worth checking out. Link

Duh! I totally misread the first post. I thought you meant headset as in headphones. Anyhoo those headphones I posted do have a mic but mine's stopped working for some reason.

Hmmmm. Interesting choices.

I had looked into the wireless 360 microphone, but wanted to get something that I could hear the game through. I play late night, and have to keep the TV's volume down.

Any other options available?

There is a new "throat" microphone being released which is licensed by Modern Warfare 2. Haven't seen any reviews on it yet but might be worth checking out. Link

Thanks. Looks promising for sure !

I am using the official MS wireless headset, and it works awesome. Very comfortable, sounds great, and zero issues.

Of course i thought about buying it, but I'd prefer a wired one - no need to load it, also I read several reports of it not being that comfortable.

I guess I'll wait for review of that Modern Warfare 2 headset - if it sucks I'll go with MS wireless headset.

I guess I'll wait for review of that Modern Warfare 2 headset - if it sucks I'll go with MS wireless headset.

I have the official PS3 wireless headset, and a free headset I got from Buy.com (free after a $10 instant rebate using Google checkout). I find them both horribly uncomfortable. Then again, I think anything I stick in my ears...including the iPod ear buds, hurt after about 5-10 minutes.

The 360 wireless has a little sponge on the ear piece, and it rests against your ear, it doesn't go inside, so it feels much better for me.

I have a couple wired MS headsets as well. They are back up when I forget to charge my wireless headset and it dies midgame.

Back