• Thread starter Pako
  • 14 comments

Pako

Staff Emeritus
United States
NW Montana
GTP-Pako
GTP Pako
Here's just one more way for big brother to control our actions of freewill, and conscience efforts to exist on our own accord.

Montana recently passed a law that YOU MUST WEAR A SEAT BELT. You can now be stopped by an officer if he see's you NOT wearing your seatbelt. I mean come on..., how much do we really need the government to protect us from ourselves. Pretty soon we won't even have to make any decisions on our own.

Regardless of the fact if it's good to wear your seat belt or not, this is not the issue by any stretch of the imagination. The fact that the LAW is telling what I need to do or else...for my own safety is rediculous. Does a person not have the right to jedison himself through his own windshield anymore? Where's the love, where's the freedom?

I tell you it is slowly slipping away.....

Originally posted by Pako
Montana recently passed a law that YOU MUST WEAR A SEAT BELT. I mean come on..., how much do we really need the government to protect us from ourselves.
Well, this is covered at great length and wide breadth below...

BUT!

I'll happily back legislation to rescind the seatbelt laws, IF it contains language that prohibits any person from receiving government benefits such as Medicare, Medicaid, or Disability if they are injured in an accident and were not wearing their seatbelts. It must also contain language allowing that person's insurance company to deny injury claims as well.

With personal freedom comes personal responsibility, and that statement needs teeth or it doesn't mean anything at all.

Originally posted by neon_duke
Well, this is covered at great length and wide breadth below...

BUT!

I'll happily back legislation to rescind the seatbelt laws, IF it contains language that prohibits any person from receiving government benefits such as Medicare, Medicaid, or Disability if they are injured in an accident and were not wearing their seatbelts. It must also contain language allowing that person's insurance company to deny injury claims as well.

With personal freedom comes personal responsibility, and that statement needs teeth or it doesn't mean anything at all.

And lets not forget accountability! It's always someone else's fault. Someone read in the paper today that a 300+ lbs lady was trying to scrape moss off of her late husbands grave. I guess it had been raining, never the less, she stepped into a sink hole where the casket collapsed beneath her braking her ankle. She is now sueing the Cemetary as a result.

Now all I can say is, Give Me A Flippin' Brake. I mean seriously...

I honestly had not thought about people abusing the medicare system (as I am not one of them). It's a scary thought to think about that...

I see no reason why there is a law on seat belts. Your only hurting yourself if your that stupid and don't wear one. Me I always buckel up cause I would like to live.

Dang it,
Mandatory seatbelt law enforcement is sure gonna cut down on organ donors.
Now you can't be stupid and at least help out several people who want to live by donating those organs.

Nobody stupid enough to drive without a seatbelt is smart enough to be an organ donor, anyway, Gil.
:(

Originally posted by Pako
Here's just one more way for big brother to control our actions of freewill, and conscience efforts to exist on our own accord.

Montana recently passed a law that YOU MUST WEAR A SEAT BELT. You can now be stopped by an officer if he see's you NOT wearing your seatbelt. I mean come on..., how much do we really need the government to protect us from ourselves. Pretty soon we won't even have to make any decisions on our own.

Regardless of the fact if it's good to wear your seat belt or not, this is not the issue by any stretch of the imagination. The fact that the LAW is telling what I need to do or else...for my own safety is rediculous. Does a person not have the right to jedison himself through his own windshield anymore? Where's the love, where's the freedom?

I tell you it is slowly slipping away.....
In Minnesota, it's been the law for a long time as follows:

All front passengers MUST wear a seatbelt at all times.

All middle and rear passengers MUST wear a seatbelt until they reach/exceed(I forget which) the age of 13/15(I forget which), and then it becomes optional

Basically, for my family, we always wear seatbelts, we just think it's stupid not to.

oooh, you are talking about people not being able to use common sense, or in other words they see free money. so the government has to intervine and spend tax dollors for these [not nice word removed] to keep from dieing when it would help the country if they were no longer alive.

like the guy who drove his VW into a light pole and died so his family sued VW for not making 'safe' cars. you hit a light pole going 30+ in any car and it is not going to hold up.

Everyone should be a organ donor. I am and I wear my seat belt all the time.

Originally posted by BlazinXtreme
Everyone should be a organ donor. I am and I wear my seat belt all the time.
That's very good Joey. But, you have already proved, grahphically, that you'll survive accidents because you wear your seatbelt.
If we could convince the non-seatbelt wearing public to sign their donor cards...

yup I can say when the truck hit the Civic I would have died with out a seat belt. And when I hit the tree I would have been hurt badly.

So yes seat belts save lifes I'm a walking example.

Back