Whats more troubling: Tuning or Performing?

What's more difficult for you personally: Tuning a car to drift or Performing a drift

• I have trouble tuning and adjusting the settings for drifting

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I have a hard time performing a clean drift

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I have a hard time with both

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I can do both at the same time!

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
Hey guys, i've been practicing drifts hours per day, trying out different cars with different properties. Everytime I try something new, either it's a different track or car, I'd find myself frustrated over settings. Yet for some cars, I just can't perform the drifts like I want to... And some just suprisingly easy. So I thought I'd ask everyone here, which do you think is more difficult for you personally: Tuning your car to drift, or performing the drift?

Scientific Method - Only adjust one variable at a time until you get a good understanding of what each setting does, there's a difference between reading a guide on how to do it and actually tuning. I've been tuning all my cars for a while now and now all I have to do is test drive the car once or twice and then I have a pretty good understanding of the car's physics.

Tune, Tune, Tune,

</Vin>

i have a problem tuning cars, but i just recently started and i think i am getting better at it. the same thing happens to me apexd1fd3s, i would sometimes do good on one course, and so-so on another, it really pisses me off. but practice makes perfect, jus keep practicing and maybe one day it will pay off.

vinsion
Scientific Method - Only adjust one variable at a time until you get a good understanding of what each setting does, there's a difference between reading a guide on how to do it and actually tuning. I've been tuning all my cars for a while now and now all I have to do is test drive the car once or twice and then I have a pretty good understanding of the car's physics.

Tune, Tune, Tune,

</Vin>

Sounds like the ideal way. I guess i'm not that hardcore, tho :) when I get my days off, I try to drift as much as possible. It's so addicting. for me, even more so than GT3. I agree with your 'method', for the ppl who have time to practice that way. But has there ever been a paticular car that just won't do what you tell it to? Do you blame your driving or setting adjustments? If you are so gangsta :) to a point where there's no cars you can't cleanly drift, think back to when you first started. what was more difficult for you, tuning or performance? then vote on the poll if you haven't already.

Drifter5
i have a problem tuning cars, but i just recently started and i think i am getting better at it. the same thing happens to me apexd1fd3s, i would sometimes do good on one course, and so-so on another, it really pisses me off. but practice makes perfect, jus keep practicing and maybe one day it will pay off.

Good luck to both of us, haha

vinsion

Tune, Tune, Tune,

</Vin>

good stuff, thats how i do it too

I generally get a comfortable car setup after 20 minutes or so of adjustment. But I can spend days after that finetuning it - not because its necessary, just because I like playing around with stuff.

The execution is a little less solid, in my opinion. But I suppose it gets the job done.

Very much the same method here, though I tend to take an hour to get the first setup correctly. I'm abit of a perfectionist. But after that, I can relax with the photo shoot :)

Has there ever been a paticular car that just won't do what you tell it to? Do you blame your driving or setting adjustments? If you are so gangsta to a point where there's no cars you can't cleanly drift, think back to when you first started. what was more difficult for you, tuning or performance?

Well...back in the day when I first started drifting, back when I was known as "VinK" on this forum, usually relied on the Settings Depot to get my settings, and mainly worked on learning the art of dorifto in the mean time. Nowadays, I tune all my cars based on my own knowledge base, I thank a few accidental run ins with real tuners for that (like, I stopped em and talk to em about their cars and whatnot for a few hours...yeah, that's normally my saturday nights, pursuing racing packs and talking about cars with em for a while :sly: )...so what was I saying again?, oh yes...for now, try using the Settings Depot settings and just try tuning what you know, but don't do anything to drastic at first, just work on learning drifting, then after a while, those how-to guides will start making more sense.
Well, if that's not clear enough, or I make absolutely no sense (usually the later) just PM me and we can figure out your plan of action from there.

Downshifting and Managing Contersteer as always,

</Vin>

TankSpanker
good stuff, thats how i do it too

I generally get a comfortable car setup after 20 minutes or so of adjustment. But I can spend days after that finetuning it - not because its necessary, just because I like playing around with stuff.

The execution is a little less solid, in my opinion. But I suppose it gets the job done.

Yeah your right, it is fun, and the time to tune a car is 20 min. or so with me ALSO:) I learned tuning a bit from the explenation bars under all the setting things, but it was explained here again, but in much more detail. I can stay tuning for about 3 months or so, just because it's fun, you get a bit of a challenge with other settings, and my drifting style changes with time:tup: I agree, it's just fun messing around with settings.

Now I don't know the anwser for ME about that poll. It just depends on one and another, if I tuned a car well, I can drift easily with it, so then I can do both. But if my settings are crap, I can't drift. I think theres no anwser like: "yeah I have wonderfull settings, but I can't drift with them" cause only when you can drift with them, it's evidence that you set it up correctly. If you can't drift with them, you don't know if it's just your set up, or your drifting abilities:idea:. You know what I'm saying:sly:

apexd1fd3s
Hey guys, i've been practicing drifts hours per day, trying out different cars with different properties. Everytime I try something new, either it's a different track or car, I'd find myself frustrated over settings. Yet for some cars, I just can't perform the drifts like I want to... And some just suprisingly easy. So I thought I'd ask everyone here, which do you think is more difficult for you personally: Tuning your car to drift, or performing the drift?

i know that i'm still some what of a noob at this. but even when doing canyon runs in my wrx (real life not GT4). its kinda stupid pushing your self on a course you aren't familiar with. same with drifting in gt4. you want to know what the best line is and also what is the best speed. don't want to go too fast but don't want to take the corner too slow. it takes some time but once you totally know the course. then its time to own it :)

G-T-4-Fan
If you can't drift with them, you don't know if it's just your set up, or your drifting abilities:idea:. You know what I'm saying:sly:

this is what i mean. when you get frustrated with a certain car when drifting, what do you end up blaming? I naturally blame the settings first, since I just started workin on that certain car. I'd give up on it for a sec, and go back to a fav drift car that i can perform decently on, and find out i'm just sloppy at the moment. So I take a break, eat some ice cream and read some Maxim. then go back to workin on that new car :) Drifting is like an art, if you do too much of it at a time, you start getting sloppy- haha. It needs patience.

ps- good lookin out, </vin> :)

itzzzberny
i know that i'm still some what of a noob at this. but even when doing canyon runs in my wrx (real life not GT4). its kinda stupid pushing your self on a course you aren't familiar with. same with drifting in gt4. you want to know what the best line is and also what is the best speed. don't want to go too fast but don't want to take the corner too slow. it takes some time but once you totally know the course. then its time to own it :)

This is one thing I definitely have to do first- get to know the track first. I think its sooo important.

G-T-4-Fan
Now I don't know the anwser for ME about that poll. It just depends on one and another, if I tuned a car well, I can drift easily with it, so then I can do both. But if my settings are crap, I can't drift. I think theres no anwser like: "yeah I have wonderfull settings, but I can't drift with them" cause only when you can drift with them, it's evidence that you set it up correctly. If you can't drift with them, you don't know if it's just your set up, or your drifting abilities:idea:. You know what I'm saying:sly:

Yes, the two are very linked. But it's a backwards compatibility. You can drift a car without understanding tuning. But you're not going to tune a car(for drifting) and not understand drifting.

The way I learned I just did what DR was gracious enough to tell me and it worked. I didn't understand why until I did some research into camber, spring rates and other settings to have the fundamental knowledge I needed to be able to tune a FR car to drift. Still working on the AWD's :D

For me it neither and both at the same time. I can setup and drift ALL of my RWD cars, I can setup and drift SOME of my MR cars, and I can't setup OR drift ANY AWD cars :crazy:

For me it's not tuning or driving, it's weight balance and car control. I still cannot drift AWD to save my life. I think it's because I use Racing Tires.

Back