What's next for Ford Racing in terms of sports car racing?

United States
United States
bloodykills750
With Ford ending the Ford GT racing program this year, what's next for them in terms of sports car racing? Could the new Shelby replace the Ford GT? Will they race in a new class? Are they done with sports car racing? Or is it simply to early to tell?

They’re probably waiting on what the FiA agrees to on the LMP1 specs or if IMSA makes any changes to their top tier.

Electric pickup series.

Haven't they pretty much reduced all their lineup in the USA to trucks and SUVs?

They have also invested something like $500 Million into the Rivian company, but that's a news item better off being talked about elsewhere.

As for Ford's future in Sportscar Racing... I honestly think that they'll withdraw works support of the GT's in GTLM, but then offer "Semi-Factory" offers to privateers from next year onwards. (Think Ben Keating's GTE-AM effort at Le Mans this year.)

The Ford GT racing program is ending after 2019 but will continue as customer support. Does that mean that they will continue building cars for various race teams or will they only support the 4 existing Ford GTs?

I believe they recently recanted on ending the factory GT program though - or I'm mis-remembering. I know they were DPI bound for 2020, but I thought something changed a month or two ago.

Back