What's the biggest thing you learned?

United States
Port Washington
GTP_skeeter23
What did GTA 2013 and/or the new physics teach you this year?

I'm probably mainly talking to those who did more than 75 laps this year because I'm not sure much less than that would actually help you learn anything you didn't already know.

For me I think the biggest thing I took away is better braking technique and understanding of the true edge of traction.

Upon returning to GT5 after countless hours in GTA I found that I was forced to turn ABS off to get a good feel and reaction from the brakes and any tunes I did have all sucked. The weight transfer is just so non-existent in GT5. I also have a new found respect and admiration for comfort class tires.

So what did you take away from this years GTA/GT6 Demo?

Something I probably already knew, but this hammered it home:

When you're about to slam the throttle down for a corner exit, a well-timed upshift can reduce the chances of spinning your rears. :D

Also, since I'd never driven Silverstone in any other game, it taught me there's something fundamentally wrong with Copse. 👎

Also enjoyed following your progress in your "Casual" thread. 👍

I never really paid attention to the physics in my runs in GT Academy. Only hiccup I noted was nearly sliding the car out of control at the loop around Autumn Ring in the 370Z. Something tells me that using my applied throttle techniques would probably make me spin out around the loop of Cape Ring if I'm not careful. Of course, I could only imagine what the physics would be like in a powerful mid-engine/RWD car or a powerful race car...

I learned that weight transfer and throttle control is more important to being able to drive fast than you think.
I learned that I never want to drive a GTR race car. Ever.
I don't think it's the car itself that's the problem. The car has a lot of potential but PD have given it a 🤬 setup by default. I also noticed that the faster you go through high speed corners with the new aerodynamic model, the more the car will stick, so try being a bit more brave through fast corners and you might get an extra 4-8 mph corner exit speed.

You shouldn't think in a negative way. Just slow it down and stop trying to be fast so you make less mistakes 👍 .

...wait, what?

Probably the biggest reason drivers make mistakes (other than not knowing a course/car/etc.) is that they push too hard and either miss braking points or run wide. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast: That is a great saying to get yourself in the mindset.

Probably the biggest reason drivers make mistakes (other than not knowing a course/car/etc.) is that they push too hard and either miss braking points or run wide. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast: That is a great saying to get yourself in the mindset.

Exactly what I meant 👍 .

I have always respected Silverstone. I guess one thing I learned is that my rusty self will need more practice around Silverstone. Imagine if GT6 has something like a 1000km race around Silverstone or the 24 Hours of Silverstone- got to step your game up racing this track, player. You dig?

Don't think you lack the skills to be a proper racing driver just because you did poorly in this GT Academy deal. I KNOW I don't have the ability to be a proper racing driver even if I did advance through GT Academy. I'm too out of shape to do any of those different physical challenges like from the coverage of GT Academy USA 2012 on Spike TV. But you can't let GT Academy embarrass and expose you- just have to take it as a learning experience and make yourself better. Also, it is more refreshing that some people admit they aren't very good and aren't saying things like "I'd rather play (some first-person shooter) than GT Academy 2013." So keep playing and keep improving.

i learned to trail brake, never thought about it, when i did focus more on my lines and trail braking, i actually made top 4. wow, and after googling trail brake, i understood that it is a well known and used technique by pro racing drivers.

I didn't do at least 75 laps like the OP mentioned, mainly because I quickly leaned that I didn't like the new physics (sliding doesn't make you go faster in the real world), & I didn't like Silverstone very much either.

:indiff:

VBR
I didn't do at least 75 laps like the OP mentioned, mainly because I quickly leaned that I didn't like the new physics (sliding doesn't make you go faster in the real world), & I didn't like Silverstone very much either.

:indiff:

You're not alone in not being a big fan of Silverstone. The first corner on the International circuit I mess up 9 times out of 10, by either missing the apex (hard to see it from bumper view) or hitting the apex, but I suddenly get a ton of understeer and the car drifts wide just passing the white line which gives me an invalid lap :grumpy: .

Latest Posts

Back