What's the damage like?

• Thread starter Golfman
  • 9 comments

Golfman

(Banned)
Don't think it's been discussed much here yet, so I thought Id start a thread on the subject.
Whatever you do or don't like about Codemasters, there is no denying that the damage modelling in all their racing games is light years ahead of the competition. Only with GT5 will we see some balance, hopefully.
But just want to know, does F12010 continue the Codies trend of having brilliant damage?

I would say it has a touch with reality about it. F1:CE was too sensitive in the fact that I nudged a car and my wing would damage.

They have the damage spot on IMO from what I've seen in the 14 years of F1 watching, not all collisions end with a DNF.

Edit: I should be more specific about this. But I will add that if you damage your car to the point of it being a $30m paperweight you don't to run the remainder of the session, you sit it out and wait to next run.

I think that the damage is good, but it's not extensive enough. For instance, if someone smacks into the SIDE of my car, it should damage, we've seen that it does in Spa, when Vettel hit Button.

I think what they've got is okay, but they need to expand on it.

Don't think it's been discussed much here yet, so I thought Id start a thread on the subject.
Whatever you do or don't like about Codemasters, there is no denying that the damage modelling in all their racing games is light years ahead of the competition. Only with GT5 will we see some balance, hopefully.
But just want to know, does F12010 continue the Codies trend of having brilliant damage?

Its realistic in a way. but very forgiving, sometimes you can hit a car or wall whitout damage. on the other hand it is very easy to have a puncture. sometimes you start out your box whit a puncture.:scared:

i hope they can improve the damage a little for next year. an i hope they give us a DLC for the puncture bug.

The damage only includes wings, tyres and suspension arms doesn't it? The tub bodywork doesn't get damaged.

Also the wheels are supposed to have tethers are they not?

So basically each car is modelled in a way that it has the main body, and then each of the wings, suspension arms, wheels etc 'bolted' to it so they fall of depending on where you hit? Things haven't change then from Studio Liverpool's first PS2 F1 game, years ago.
Compared to the brilliant deformation of each car in the likes of Grid and Dirt, that seems a bit basic to me.

The damage is nothing spectacular - probably a good thing too, for anyone who wants decent races online! ;)

What (I think) I've noticed is, as in F1CE, light wing damage does seem to make any difference at all to the car's performance.

Last edited:
Compared to the brilliant deformation of each car in the likes of Grid and Dirt, that seems a bit basic to me.
But F1 cars are mostly made of carbon fibre. Carbon fibre doesn't deform or bend, it shatters.

I did my first total right off the other day, it was pretty dramatic. Full-on "Grid style" slow motion and all.. It comes up and tells you your collision speed and geforces.. mine was something like 78g's & 280km/h.

Overall though i would say the damage is MASSIVELY underdone, i have often hit another car with a significant amount of force and received NO damage what so ever. On top of this the damage is just far to basic, there is no rear end or side end damage, it is limited to the front wing and tyres.

I felt that the damage in F1:CE was pretty acurate - with slight contact anyway. I mean, on a street circuit like Monaco if you lost control and scraped the wall with one of you wheels, that wheel would slowly begin to degrade till you either had a puncture or it became inoperable. And just touching the other cars with your wing often had no effect at first, only showing up on your damage indicator. Then as the race progressed it would eventually fall off due to the movement of your car around the track, or another slight nudge would tear it off completely. I felt that the damage in F1:CE only failed when it came to full-on high speed collisions: any crash, whether it be into another car or a wall instantly tore off the wheel/wing on the side you hit.
What I really wanted to know is, does F1 2010 match F1:CE in the 'slight damage' elements I mentioned above, while at the same time improving the effect of high speed wipeouts?
And F1:CE had mechanical failures. To not have it in F1 2010 is inexcusable, as it added to the tention: the 'what if' effect of trying to look after your car in each race for fear of an engine blowing etc.
Codemasters track record when it came to damage modelling is second to none. F1 2010 is the most realistic and biggest racing game they have ever made, so I feel the damage/crashes should be equally spectacular.

Back