Whats the deal with boost in online races?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BlackSeries
  • 15 comments
  • 1,156 views

BlackSeries

(Banned)
Messages
111
United States
NY
Messages
k_____99
After the host left the room, I changed the Boost level to high. One guy didnt liked the High setting and left the room.
Then I started the race and finished second but on the leader board it showed that I came first. :crazy:
Then someone said, "thats what high boost gets you."

I dont get it. Does High boost only effect certain cars or all of them?
 
it effects all cars, first place driver will notice loss of traction and even false speedometer readings, while players towards the back will have normal handling and even faster acceleration than normal
 
My friends and I tested high boost with the FGT on Route X. We had the same setups so there was no variables in cars.

I ended up 10 seconds behind everyone and even though all of our speedometers were reading 235mph, I was catching at a rapid pace even though I was alone on the track and they were in a slipstream.
 
And that's why I never raced in boost lobbies. ;)
 
I will never join a lobby the has boost turned on. For me and many others boost ruins good racing. If I'm in a lobby and the host decided he needs boost on then I'm leaving.
 
Boost is a system that try to make the race more disputed, with more cars fighting positions. To do that, the boost has to make the cars on last places faster, by increasing their acceleration. We dont know, but maybe it interfere the grip, giving more grip to last places. The reducing of acceleration to the first place is unknown, but by the boost description I guess it doesn't exist.

Its funny but many people want a fair race, they care about winning at all, so they hate the boost. Or some people hate it because it ruin the simulation - for reasons that I dont need to explain.
 
Boost is a system that try to make the race more disputed, with more cars fighting positions. To do that, the boost has to make the cars on last places faster, by increasing their acceleration.

Its funny but many people want a fair race, they care about winning at all, so they hate it. Or some people hate it because it ruin the simulation - for reasons that I dont need to explain.

Thanks for explaining clearly:tup:. I was under the wrong impression that boost helps in making turbo-charged cars faster than NA. I had no idea that boost can be very disadvantageous to others.
 
Thanks for explaining clearly:tup:. I was under the wrong impression that boost helps in making turbo-charged cars faster than NA. I had no idea that boost can be very disadvantageous to others.

It's the great equalizer..If you have a few people in your lounge that like to race, but maybe aren't as fast it will help them to keep up and make the race much closer as opposed to getting lapped in a short race.

Not for league or open lobby racing, but in a lounge with just some friends it can be fun.
 
It's mainly used in Dirty Shuffle rooms.
 
Ross
It's mainly used in Dirty Shuffle rooms.

Unfortunately, it's used in a lot more than "Dirty" rooms. A lot of people use it just to have close racing. But it isn't for people who take there racing a little more seriously. Today I saw a 200 lap race at Daytona with boost on and thought to my self "Whats the point!". I really like running enduro races but never with boost. It should take skill to win a 200 lap race.
 
personally if it's not a dirty race and there's boost on i leave, what's the point of driving fast when the system penalizes you for it.
 
Royale, the point is not to be fast, but have a close race with fights for position. The winner is not who is faster, but be the one who best knows how to dispute a position, how to deal a position trade, how to use the drafting, etc. Its not boring at all.
 
After the host left the room, I changed the Boost level to high. One guy didnt liked the High setting and left the room.
Then I started the race and finished second but on the leader board it showed that I came first. :crazy:
Then someone said, "thats what high boost gets you."

I dont get it. Does High boost only effect certain cars or all of them?
The further back you are the more boost you will have. The speeds all seem to be normal on the speedo but the lap times will be quicker for those in the back.

There is also a bug where the 2nd or 3rd place guy shows as the winner and gets the big payout. If you look carefully at the times you will see a -0.13 (or -.0 whatever) next to the actual winners name. Not sure if it's due to the boost but I've seen it a lot more in the past week than I have in the last month.

Also, the 2.03, 2.04 or 2.05 update seemed change the boost some. It seems like 2nd and 3rd get stuck in no man's land when running by themselves. Now you have to work with someone to catch a leader that may have a lead. I've been running at Daytona since about Aug. and those are my observations.
 
I have boostphobia. I stay away from rooms with boost on. Tried it once and that was enough for me. Had nightmares for weeks. Finally had to seek therepy. Currently on medication to ease the flashbacks that I still have to this day. I'm actually starting to break out in a cold sweat just talking about it so I gotta go now. Bye......
Lol, seriously tho, its just not my thing. To each their own.
 
KB18FAN
I have boostphobia. I stay away from rooms with boost on. Tried it once and that was enough for me. Had nightmares for weeks. Finally had to seek therepy. Currently on medication to ease the flashbacks that I still have to this day. I'm actually starting to break out in a cold sweat just talking about it so I gotta go now. Bye......
Lol, seriously tho, its just not my thing. To each their own.

Yeah,what KB said.Honestly boost is a stain on the jock's of society,if you can't catch someone without using boost,well i guess you need to get faster.
and if you can't go faster, it's either your driving,your tune or a combination of those things.
Boost just has that foul smell of "arcade racer" to me(all comments above are my opinion)Again quoting KB "to each their own".
 
Boost and Srf are for pussys, they should have no place in a game like gt5, enter a lobby that's using both and you can almost guarantee being rammed off the track on every corner.
 
Back