What's the deal with the official licences?

• Thread starter VMac
  • 21 comments
Greece
Greece
With just three months until the release of Project CARS, one thing that worries me is the lack of official licences. Some tracks have official names but some do not. And also stuff like some decals and the tires which are not real companies. Will the game have official licences for everything (for example Michelin or Pirrelli tires etc) or is it going to be a mixed situation like let's say Pro Evolution Soccer?

With just three months until the release of Project CARS, one thing that worries me is the lack of official licences. Some tracks have official names but some do not. And also stuff like some decals and the tires which are not real companies. Will the game have official licences for everything (for example Michelin or Pirrelli tires etc) or is it going to be a mixed situation like let's say Pro Evolution Soccer?
Its going to be mixed.
if you took every single mock sponsor logo and got official licensing it would cost millions. I much rather them have fake brands and put the money into game development than waste millions on small details.

Its going to be mixed.
if you took every single mock sponsor logo and got official licensing it would cost millions. I much rather them have fake brands and put the money into game development than waste millions on small details.
Thanks for the response. Will the tires be fake then?

Nope, they'll be modeled after real life tires. The names on them however, may not correspond with a real tire manufacturer.:sly:
If the Wii U version happens I demand SMS gets the rights to these:
Luigi_Tires.PNG

EA actually added Mario warp pipes in NFS Most Wanted U. I don't remember what they do, because I don't buy NFS/EA games anymore.

Considering how SMS were willing to add a GTPlanet livery to the retail game, I wouldn't be surprised if they add a little Nintendo- or Mario-themed touch to the Wii U version of the game.

Ιt would be great if they could get the licence of at least one tire manufacturer but anyway, Yiro Tires it is :lol:

So real cars but made up liveries. I'm cool with that, I'll use cockpit view anyways.

^ There will be some real life liveries, and some mixes of real life sponsors/tyres, subject to licensing. E.g. McLaren, Aston, some prototypes, Formula Gulf and Lotus.

Anyway, I've lived so long with Greiff Oil, Yirotires, Frischkorn, XPS etc.. sponsors that they've become "just as real" to me. The made up liveries, a lot of which are made by WMD members (there are many professional designers in our ranks), are seriously good looking :)

If there had not been the cap on people being able to donate to SMS/WMD,could they have been able to buy more licenses? If so, why did they cap the donations?

^ There will be some real life liveries, and some mixes of real life sponsors/tyres, subject to licensing. E.g. McLaren, Aston, some prototypes, Formula Gulf and Lotus.

Anyway, I've lived so long with Greiff Oil, Yirotires, Frischkorn, XPS etc.. sponsors that they've become "just as real" to me. The made up liveries, a lot of which are made by WMD members (there are many professional designers in our ranks), are seriously good looking :)

If I want to start an oil company called Greiff Oil who do I need to speak to? With the price of oil now so low I reckon I might be able to afford my first barrel.

Last edited:
If there had not been the cap on people being able to donate to SMS/WMD,could they have been able to buy more licenses? If so, why did they cap the donations?
The sale of "toolpacks" (not really donations...) was stopped because the game was fully financed. SMS wanted to retract some of their own financing to allow the sale of more toolpacks, but due to the FSA questioning the arrangement, sales were closed to satisfy them. The project has since gotten additional funds by other means though. Even so, the budget is lower than some other comparable development projects, and thus a big portion of it has to be spent on the actual development work.

The sale of "toolpacks" (not really donations...) was stopped because the game was fully financed. SMS wanted to retract some of their own financing to allow the sale of more toolpacks, but due to the FSA questioning the arrangement, sales were closed to satisfy them. The project has since gotten additional funds by other means though. Even so the budget is lower than some other comparable development projects, and thus a big portion of it has to be spent on the actual development work.
Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah, I saw the GTP livery on the RUF and it looks very well done. You say Aston Martin. If that's on the DBR9 would it be the AMR or Gulf livery?

th

th

No DBR9 I'm afraid. FLX1981, GTPs resident pCARS livery guru, is better able than me to go into details on livery specifics...

Edit: Here's a couple of Astons that are in, although with SMS instead of GT on the windscreen banner:

(NOTE: these are photographs, not in game shots!)

AM5.jpg

AM3.jpg

Last edited:
No DBR9 I'm afraid. FLX1981, GTPs resident pCARS livery guru, is better able than me to go into details on livery specifics...
NO DBR9?! Aww man I love the DBR9, it's my second favourite GT racing car, behind the Corvette C6R GT1!

Yes, the DBR9 is cool... But for now, get ready for some Vantage love - it ain't that bad :)

And who knows what night happen later on... (No, that's not a hint or anything, just sharing the hope! :P)

Yes, the DBR9 is cool... But for now, get ready for some Vantage love - it ain't that bad :)

And who knows what night happen later on... (No, that's not a hint or anything, just sharing the hope! :P)
The Vantage is great but I wish there was a big GT Aston. AMR need to do a GT version of the new Vanquish if they haven't already, it would be the best looking race car out there. Just imagine it!

Please don't tell me the C6R isn't in Project CARS I couldn't take it! PCARS is the ONLY other game I want on PS4 right now. I'm ignoring everything til March and I get me this game it looks so gooood!

Edit: It doesn't look like there is :banghead:

Please add it SMS PLEASE!!!! :bowdown:

images

My 2 favourite GT cars are NOT in my favourite racing game!!! Well, I still have other cars to mess around in

Don't despair, Jason! As you say yourself, there are lots of other cool cars to keep you occupied... Anyway, car wishes should probably go in the wishlist thread.
I have, have a look at the list I made today, it's huge, check the last page. Gonna check the official car list and make sure none of my wishlist cars are already ingame!

Back