What's the optimum operating window for intermediate tyres?

• Thread starter SCER
  • 11 comments
United Kingdom
London
haroldinho41
Wasn't sure whether this was a general question or tuning related, but yeah, what the title said. Does it differ for various cars/setups? It's probably tricky to collate statistics on this so any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Wasn't sure whether this was a general question or tuning related, but yeah, what the title said. Does it differ for various cars/setups? It's probably tricky to collate statistics on this so any opinions are greatly appreciated.
To tell you honest truth, I've never used Intermediates. I find I can get enough grip in the wet by using the Soft Slicks. Strange I know but I've found it to be the best strategy for the Nurb 24mins, pitting for a fresh set at the conclusion of lap 2.

To tell you honest truth, I've never used Intermediates. I find I can get enough grip in the wet by using the Soft Slicks. Strange I know but I've found it to be the best strategy for the Nurb 24mins, pitting for a fresh set at the conclusion of lap 2.

Funnily enough, the reason I asked this question was because I won the Nurburgring 24mins by only six seconds because an AB-T Audi DTM car had done the whole race on intermediates without pitting, whereas every other driver had pitted at least once, most people twice.

One thing I do like about GT6's endurance races is the fact that there are always at least three or four different strategies being used by the AI cars. I looked at the live timing during the replay and everyone seemed to be on different tyres.

Funnily enough, the reason I asked this question was because I won the Nurburgring 24mins by only six seconds because an AB-T Audi DTM car had done the whole race on intermediates without pitting, whereas every other driver had pitted at least once, most people twice.

One thing I do like about GT6's endurance races is the fact that there are always at least three or four different strategies being used by the AI cars. I looked at the live timing during the replay and everyone seemed to be on different tyres.
That Audi made a very brave call with that strategy. I don't know how he had tyres left after lap 1 without worrying about 2 & 3!

You'll find the rubber wears more on Lap 3 than by other in the race.
For this reason, I start on Soft and get what I can out of them for laps 1 & 2, keeping it as neat as possible on lap 2, pit & start fresh for the last lap.

That Audi made a very brave call with that strategy. I don't know how he had tyres left after lap 1 without worrying about 2 & 3!

You'll find the rubber wears more on Lap 3 than by other in the race.
For this reason, I start on Soft and get what I can out of them for laps 1 & 2, keeping it as neat as possible on lap 2, pit & start fresh for the last lap.

I decided to restrict myself to running the whole thing on racing hards to keep it interesting but I ended up switching to heavy wets at the end of lap 1, awful decision I have to say :lol:, started lap 3 on fresh racing hards, 30 seconds behind the AB-T Audi, absolutely caned it and managed to get back into 1st on the main straight.

Definitely the closest race I've had with the AI, makes me think I should look into these intermediates, they seem like very durable tyres.

I decided to restrict myself to running the whole thing on racing hards to keep it interesting but I ended up switching to heavy wets at the end of lap 1, awful decision I have to say :lol:, started lap 3 on fresh racing hards, 30 seconds behind the AB-T Audi, absolutely caned it and managed to get back into 1st on the main straight.

Definitely the closest race I've had with the AI, makes me think I should look into these intermediates, they seem like very durable tyres.
If you want a close race against the AI, try the NASCAR race at Daytona but be prepared :scared:

If you want a close race against the AI, try the NASCAR race at Daytona but be prepared :scared:

It speaks volumes that despite the fact that about half of the gtplanet community don't even like NASCAR, people still go on about that race.

The only event where you can have the same car as the opposition, drive brilliantly, and still not be guaranteed the win.

It speaks volumes that despite the fact that about half of the gtplanet community don't even like NASCAR, people still go on about that race.

The only event where you can have the same car as the opposition, drive brilliantly, and still not be guaranteed the win.
Totally agree with you.
NASCAR is an acquired taste. It helps if you're from the States & would like fries with that :lol:

I don't race offline, so this may be irrelevant to you, but I run intermediates from ~27% to ~73% surface water.
Add 5 to 10% to the lower number if tires are restricted below slicks.

Back