Whats the point?

• Thread starter gray999
  • 29 comments
United Kingdom
UK
What is the penalty system about?
I drive clean and someone spins in front of me, impossible to avoid hitting them and I get a 10 second penalty .
Ridiculous. Twice today I qualified in the top 3 only to rammed after half a lap ruining my race.
Very frustrating game, I’m 53 years old, been gaming for a long time, just want clean racing. Rant over.

I find it terrifying being at the front, knowing there is a good chance that someone is going to ruin your race from behind. Its good that I'm a slow coach and usually start near the back. If I move up a few positions by the finish, I've had a good race, without the needless stress of being at the front. Still, it would be nice if there was more damage for the races, as I have see people run into walls, rejoin then go mental trying to claw back positions, which often involved not being careful whose toes they step on. If there was a bigger risk for going off, not just a time penalty, then people may think twice about being so needlessly aggressive.

In a real race, your car would be destroyed, your race would be over, and you would be out about $100,000.

10 seconds isn't that bad.

Not even in a real race. In Project CARS 2, the front of your car would be destroyed, your engine would start overheating and it would blow a few laps later. Then you'd be out of the race permanatley.

So yes, 10 seconds isn't that bad at all.

Yeah I never like being in the front anymore. It comes with a sense of false security and the hope of placing well at the end. But it rarely happens to me where I manage to have a clean race and stay at my position when I start at the front.

I don’t have to worry about being at the front and getting pushed around, my skill level is way too average for that.
Someone 'average' (or slower than you) will still drive like a maniac, and take you out, even in the apparent clean driver groups

Even at higher levels it happens, I don’t get to play as much as I would like so I’m stuck in C -S at the moment and it’s a melee of high risk low reward racing where it pays to qualify low and just tootle round picking up a few places, qualified on pole twice and was completely taken out on both occasions.

It’s still twice the game race wise as Pcars 2 but they need to start enabling damage and reduced aids on daily races, especially the FIA ones.

Participated in yesterday's nations cup (with the go karts), qualified 3rd, did a good race and was about to overtake the 1st and 2nd in one corner when the torpedo behind me decided not to brake properly and punted me off track. Needless to say I never managed to get to the front pack till the end of the race, so basically I lost lots of positions and eventually points due to the mistake of some guy and at worst he gets what... 10 secs (I mean what do you expect to happen, driving 1 cm behind my rear bumper and getting into the braking zone...if you want to try overtaking just take the inner side of the corner and give it a shot ....)? Well, I'm up for harsher penalties for such scenarios - it is your responsibility to predict as much as possible what is going to happen and try avoiding it.

Don't get me wrong I do think that the penalty system has to be reworked a bit, but I do think that being careful on the track and trying to predict the movement of the other guys is really rewarding, especially if you avoid a crash.... (B/S ranking, was really near to DR: A)

I drive clean and someone spins in front of me, impossible to avoid hitting them and I get a 10 second penalty .
Ridiculous
When following a driver, you always have to be prepared for the fact that they may spin, crash, brake early, or anything else. Situational awareness and collision avoidance are skills; some crashes can't be avoided in the moment, but by being aware of what the other driver is doing, and what lines they're taking, you can position your car so that you predict the moment and take advantage of it rather than being involved in the accident.

But when you hit another driver, regardless of what they're doing, you can expect a penalty.

I had this last night in one of the dailies. Luckily it was mid pack, so I didn't lose the win or anything, and I don't take the racing too seriously. Still annoying though, because I got rear ended into a wall on the last lap, then got the 10 second penalty on top, plus lost 5 places.

I regained two of the places I lost, but lost them as soon as I crossed the line because there wasn't enough time to get rid of the 10 sec penalty as well.

Sure, the other driver also had a penalty, but he managed to whittle 3 seconds of his away and gained a position from smashing me off, so overall he did fine and got a better result than me, from being dirty.

On top of that, I also got demoted from SR C to D... for being the recipient of a punt... thanks PD!

Still, as others have pointed out, in a real race it'd have cost me far more, so really we're getting off lightly. Shame though - it was a fun race until that point and I had slowly made my way up from 10th to 6th before it happened.

Last edited:
Just want to make a point. Not every driver that wrecks your race is a"dirty driver". Especially in the DR " D" ranks. they just haven't developed the skills to race clean. Put 10 of them in a race with 2 "DR "A" drivers and you get what you get.

I find it terrifying being at the front, knowing there is a good chance that someone is going to ruin your race from behind. Its good that I'm a slow coach and usually start near the back..

I don’t have to worry about being at the front and getting pushed around, my skill level is way too average for that.

Agreed. I have even started running a couple time trial laps outside of Sport mode then starting the race without qual. It's more fun to start at he back of the pack and work your way to 5-7 than qualifying 4th and getting knocked back to 12th on the 1st lap. :)

I understand you crash with no way to avoid it (yes you can say a racing driver has to be prepared to take avoiding measures at all time, but sometimes it's just impossible, period, just take a look on what happened in Macau on the weekend, and most of them where works professional drivers, that's what is ruled as racing incident), but is justified as other explained: In real life (or in games with mechanical damage active) you damage your car no matter if you are guilty or not.
For that reason I understand I got a bunch of penalties by hitting front the inner wall on the long straight after being intentionally taken into a spin. Obviously no gain would result of using that wall (contrary to wall riding the exterior walls) but in real life the car would be destroyed and I would be seriously hurt too. In GT Sport, at least I could resume the races.

I regained two of the places I lost, but lost them as soon as I crossed the line because there wasn't enough time to get rid of the 10 sec penalty as well.

Something similar happened to me in the Tokyo one yesterday, the difference is that you CAN get rid of the penalty and you most likely would have finished ahead of him. Getting rid of a penalty is ENTIRELY in your control - you choose to drive slower for the period of time. I almost guarantee that if you had cleared your penalty you would have finished higher than the person who punted you. The person who punted me decided not to clear their penalty (on the last corner of the Tokyo track) and I decided to clear mine. It took about 4 seconds off my lap time to clear the 10 sec penalty - as such I 'beat' him. Admittedly, I lost more than that one position, but the system does work in so much as it is better to clear a penalty than cross the line with it (most of the time, there are of course exceptions)

Ridiculous.

You couldn't see him losing control before he spun out? I don't know, it tends to be pretty obvious when someone begins to screw up, just ease of on the throttle to gain control of your steering and coast through the accident unscathed. Usually someone will pass you and take themselves out, which is a bonus.

Sure, collisions behind blind corners can't be avoided but that's racing.

omg whats Vadim Kogays PSN ID? lol hot headedness in a game is bad enough, but real life! his team mate and pit crew should have dragged him out the car and given him a good hiding.

He bought that car.It was his team -I think- so it was difficult for anyone to say to him:You cannot drive that car in a real life race.
You can find a lot of articals about him.In many of them you will read that VK is driving like GT (or racing game) players do.Its really funny actually.I posted one quote.Here is another:
".....But all the driving is wrong. Mr. Kogay appears to be playing a game of Gran Turismo in a half-million dollar car. He overshoots turns, completely forgets to steer when steering is required, he races hard against cars that are a lap ahead…".I think this one is spot on.

ahh I hope his race insurance went through the roof, if such a thing exists.
I must admit, it does make for entertaining watching though, but for all the wrong reasons.

Vadim Kogay says hi:

"Gentlemen driver" :lol:.

He should think about taking some of his money and sponsoring some real talented "drivers" who would otherwise not be able to afford to race. Then he would be a real hero (could even say he mentored them!). The car livery can just be a picture of his face, I'm sure no one would mind.

Just want to make a point. Not every driver that wrecks your race is a"dirty driver". Especially in the DR " D" ranks. they just haven't developed the skills to race clean. Put 10 of them in a race with 2 "DR "A" drivers and you get what you get.

Sure, I think I made that very point in another thread, but in my video above it's pretty clear that he was approaching me far far too fast. That wasn't being slightly late on the brakes by accident, that was just not bothering to brake at all. It also wasn't the first time in the race that he'd hit the back of my car, although the first one did seem to be an accident.

Something similar happened to me in the Tokyo one yesterday, the difference is that you CAN get rid of the penalty and you most likely would have finished ahead of him. Getting rid of a penalty is ENTIRELY in your control - you choose to drive slower for the period of time. I almost guarantee that if you had cleared your penalty you would have finished higher than the person who punted you. The person who punted me decided not to clear their penalty (on the last corner of the Tokyo track) and I decided to clear mine. It took about 4 seconds off my lap time to clear the 10 sec penalty - as such I 'beat' him. Admittedly, I lost more than that one position, but the system does work in so much as it is better to clear a penalty than cross the line with it (most of the time, there are of course exceptions)

Good to know, I'm never sure of the best way to get rid of a penalty... is it best to stop or go as slow as possible, or just coast as fast as the game will let you to let the penalty tick down? I figured just finish as quickly as possible and hope for the best. He got rid of 3 seconds somehow, so had 7 secs left by the end.

Good to know, I'm never sure of the best way to get rid of a penalty... is it best to stop or go as slow as possible, or just coast as fast as the game will let you to let the penalty tick down? I figured just finish as quickly as possible and hope for the best. He got rid of 3 seconds somehow, so had 7 secs left by the end.

I coasted at about half the speed that I would have been going at race pace - although how slow you need to go does vary based on location on track. This was on the last straight to the finish so it was a bit different.

I believe the slower that you go the quicker the thing ticks down, but not sure.

Sure, I think I made that very point in another thread, but in my video above it's pretty clear that he was approaching me far far too fast. That wasn't being slightly late on the brakes by accident, that was just not bothering to brake at all. It also wasn't the first time in the race that he'd hit the back of my car, although the first one did seem to be an accident.

Clearly the other guy is at fault but fault doesn't really do much for your position or your SR. In the future look at everyone's lap times and pay attention to how they are driving. Given that this idiot is trying to run a hot lap no brakes line through that S curve, logistically your inside brake line was never going to work. Going 2 wide into a turn is already risky in S class, I wouldn't even try it on an S curve in D Class.

If the penalty is early in the race, just ignore it and let it bleed off in hairpins and chicanes where you naturally ease off and coast. These are the safest spots to bleed off penalty time without hindering your lap time. Then, if there is still any penalty time left at the end of the race, just get off of the main line before the finish line and just coast to the finish trying to time your penalty with the finish.

Back