Whats the story with differing fuel loads in NON TUNE rooms ?PS4 

• Thread starter stucar17
  • 28 comments
Australia
Wollongong
sb170773
Can anyone explain if this can be fixed, or is it one of the issues the game has waiting on a patch ?

-Laguna Seca

- Non Tune room
- Time progression - REAL
- Compulsory pit stop - YES
- Fuel : Real
- TYRE WEAR : Authentic
- Weather progression : Sync to race
- Time progression : Real time

29 lap race and we have drivers on a range anywhere from 49L to 105L in the Mustang GT4. for the guys under 60 L they are massivly disadvantaged as they would have to take fuel at their stop, as opposed to the guys on 105, who are driving a fuel tanker, but dont have to take fuel.

We tried a range of room and lobby options, but we found no way of getting everyone on the same fuel. I tried both a saved pit strat and the default, as did the other guys in the room, and we still all got different values in the fuel totals.

Obviously, when i changed the fuel burn to OFF we were all at about 52-53L...

Anyone have an answer?
Thanks in advance

@IanBell is there a work around for this, or is it something that may be patched ?

I don't know of the workaround but this is just a design descision I never understood. Tirecompound/pressures and fuel level shouldn't be tuning options they should be standrd changable things.

@The_American @IanBell is there a good reason why these are unchangable under default setups? :P

I'm not mad, descisions have to be made. I'm just a curious soul that wonders why certain descisions are made ;)

I don't know of the workaround but this is just a design descision I never understood. Tirecompound/pressures and fuel level shouldn't be tuning options they should be standrd changable things.

@The_American @IanBell is there a good reason why these are unchangable under default setups? :P

I'm not mad, descisions have to be made. I'm just a curious soul that wonders why certain descisions are made ;)
Cant possibly be a design decision to put drivers in a non tune room on different fuel amounts. It HAS to be a glitch....

Anyway, on the SMS forum, while holding my breath for a reply i came across this thread ...
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...fault-Setups-Issue-Different-fuel-loads/page3

Seems that its a known issue, but 2 months later there still doesnt seem to be any indication that its a glitch, may be patched or even an issue :confused::banghead:

Cant possibly be a design decision to put drivers in a non tune room on different fuel amounts. It HAS to be a glitch....

Anyway, on the SMS forum, while holding my breath for a reply i came across this thread ...
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...fault-Setups-Issue-Different-fuel-loads/page3

Seems that its a known issue, but 2 months later there still doesnt seem to be any indication that its a glitch, may be patched or even an issue :confused::banghead:

I must not have been clear.
What you desceibe can't be a design descision. But they made the design descision to not be able to choose tirecompound and pressures nor your fuelload.
This is the design descion I don't get.
If you'd be able to change those while under the 'default tuning' setting these issues wouldn't exist...

Wow I had no idea fuel loads were random. That explains a few things! Are tyre pressures random too?

Another bug that is so incredibly easy to fix you really have to wonder why it hasn't been.

Default setups is an arcade mode as I see it, putting it down to pure driving skill. Being able to change fuel and tyres would open access to setups meaning you could change anything, unless that was specifically disabled. Changing tyre pressures would give those with setup knowledge an advantage over those looking for an arcade skill only challenge.

I remember in the 1st game, in the non tuning rooms... if you had a tune for the car/track combo it would give you more fuel than someone who didn't have the car tuned. It didnt load a set up, just gave you alot more fuel.

Wow I had no idea fuel loads were random. That explains a few things! Are tyre pressures random too?

Another bug that is so incredibly easy to fix you really have to wonder why it hasn't been.

Default setups is an arcade mode as I see it, putting it down to pure driving skill. Being able to change fuel and tyres would open access to setups meaning you could change anything, unless that was specifically disabled. Changing tyre pressures would give those with setup knowledge an advantage over those looking for an arcade skill only challenge.

Yes I'm saying fefault setup shoukd disable anything setuprelated except tirecompounds, tirepressures and fuel load.

Tirepressures isn't rocketscience no tuningknowledge required.

Considering fuel level as part of a tuning setup had always baffled me... Seriously if one doesn't understand how much fuel they'll need for a race after a qaulification session should they even have a playstationaccount because that would be an indicator of next level stupidity...

Yes I'm saying fefault setup shoukd disable anything setuprelated except tirecompounds, tirepressures and fuel load.

Tirepressures isn't rocketscience no tuningknowledge required.

Considering fuel level as part of a tuning setup had always baffled me... Seriously if one doesn't understand how much fuel they'll need for a race after a qaulification session should they even have a playstationaccount because that would be an indicator of next level stupidity...

What baffles me even more is people in the know about this stuff give zero response to many of these 'issues'. I have posted in this forum and on the SMS forum, with ZERO response from anyone. Thats more frustrating than the actual issue itself !

What baffles me even more is people in the know about this stuff give zero response to many of these 'issues'. I have posted in this forum and on the SMS forum, with ZERO response from anyone. Thats more frustrating than the actual issue itself !

What do you mean? Tire pressures and such have not been adressed?

There are multuple threads by now if you need those just say so and I'll look em up for you.

In the league I race in we run a false start and the whole field enters the pits after lap 1. We then get our fuel and tyres the way we want them and re-assemble for the start.

It works but it's just so bizarre that we have to go through this circus in every race. Forced setups should allow as a minimum the ability to:

Choose compound.
Choose starting fuel.
Choose from the default stable/loose/oval setups etc.
And as we can choose tyre pressures in the Pit Strategy we should have option to choose starting pressures as well.

And really all the above should be able to be blocked too if that is what the host/league wants.

At the moment you CAN choose the default setup but have to do it in single player for the particular car BEFORE you join the server for the online race you are doing. It is a poor user experience to say the least.

@IanBell - any thoughts? Cheers.

Last edited:
Since it's considered part of the setup, why should they?
Because many of us want to race in fixed setups to simplify and keep the racing closer but still allow our racers the ability to have a fuel and tyre strategy. You can't do that with fixed fuel at the start. And forcing a fixed fuel and tyre strategy at the start really makes little sense when pit stop strategy allows you to tweak it to your hearts content anyway - which is why the league I race in has the entire field pit after the first lap to allow them to set tyres and fuel as they want before then re-assembling for a proper start.

What we need is the ability to decide which elements we want fixed and which we do not. For example a league might want:

Fixed setups combined with ability to:
Choose the default setup - loose, stable, oval, speedway etc.
Set starting tyre pressures.
Set starting fuel.

You can do all that now in the game but the game make it far harder than it should be - you have to select the default setup in single player BEFORE you join the server and to set fuel and tyres you have to use a pit stop strategy. It would not be too hard to allow us to do this before the race starts and I'm sure some racers would welcome such a feature - clearly I would! :-)

Last edited:
Since it's considered part of the setup, why should they?
Fuel level is considered part of a setup? How is that in any way tuning a car? Putting in a fuelhose and stop refuling the car when you want. I'll tell my gasstation next time they should have an employee that does it for me then as a simple mind should not mess with the setup of the car....

Fuel level is considered part of a setup? How is that in any way tuning a car? Putting in a fuelhose and stop refuling the car when you want. I'll tell my gasstation next time they should have an employee that does it for me then as a simple mind should not mess with the setup of the car....

Are you strategically refueling your own car for better top speed and cornering ability?

Are you strategically refueling your own car for better top speed and cornering ability?

I have a friend who owns a truck which is often not loaded to the maximum allowed weight. When he completelt fills his tank the thing is weird to drive. He doesn't fill the tank completely. Is he now tuning? Seriously mate considering fuel level as a tune is a bit of a far stretch isn't it? I see how if you're beeing to the letter ut cak be considered part of the setup but then your seating position is to and this isn't locked now is it?

And yes tirecompounds locked is the most annoyong thing ever. Yesterday I joined a defaultsetup lobby in early spring spa, the standard setup loaded hard slick on an 11°C track fact is either they should fix this or they should allow us to choose the basic things. The things for which one doesn't need to be a mechaninc...

Because many of us want to race in fixed setups to simplify and keep the racing closer but still allow our racers the ability to have a fuel and tyre strategy. You can't do that with fixed fuel at the start. And forcing a fixed fuel and tyre strategy at the start really makes little sense when pit stop strategy allows you to tweak it to your hearts content anyway - which is why the league I race in has the entire field pit after the first lap to allow them to set tyres and fuel as they want before then re-assembling for a proper start.

What we need is the ability to decide which elements we want fixed and which we do not. For example a league might want:

Fixed setups combined with ability to:
Choose the default setup - loose, stable, oval, speedway etc.
Set starting tyre pressures.
Set starting fuel.

You can do all that now in the game but the game make it far harder than it should be - you have to select the default setup in single player BEFORE you join the server and to set fuel and tyres you have to use a pit stop strategy. It would not be too hard to allow us to do this before the race starts and I'm sure some racers would welcome such a feature - clearly I would! :-)
Yes, in an ideal world, the lobby host could create the fixed setup but that isn't possible with pCARS2. You have one of 3 routes:

1. Free-for-all, where everybody loads whatever setup they like
2. Gentleman's agreement, where everybody loads the setup that you dictate (best to do this in advance if you're part of a league, to ensure nobody gets DQ'd by the 2-minute timer)
3. Run the fixed setup and accept the limitations

EDIT : Just to add, we ran some 'default setup' tests with our league on Saturday and everybody got the same fuel, to within 1L, across multiple lobbies with various cars (in various classes) and various tracks. As an aside, we also all got exactly the same weather, with weather transitions occurring within a few seconds of each other and water buildup (and draining when returning to dry conditions) was in sync too.

Yes, in an ideal world, the lobby host could create the fixed setup but that isn't possible with pCARS2. You have one of 3 routes:

1. Free-for-all, where everybody loads whatever setup they like
2. Gentleman's agreement, where everybody loads the setup that you dictate (best to do this in advance if you're part of a league, to ensure nobody gets DQ'd by the 2-minute timer)
3. Run the fixed setup and accept the limitations

4. Talk about the restricting nature and the obvious pitfalls of those limitations and hope a change will come?

Last edited:
I was referring to what is possible right now :)

But yes, suggesting a change is fine :). I suspect it would require significant code rewrites to change the setup exchange logic, which I can't see happening. However, I'm not a dev, not part of SMS and have no idea of what is and isn't feasible so never say never!

I was referring to what is possible right now :)

But yes, suggesting a change is fine :). I suspect it would require significant code rewrites to change the setup exchange logic, which I can't see happening. However, I'm not a dev, not part of SMS and have no idea of what is and isn't feasible so never say never!

Pcars 3 then ;)

:P

He doesn't fill the tank completely. Is he now tuning? Seriously mate considering fuel level as a tune is a bit of a far stretch isn't it?

Surely you're aware that the weight of the fuel can affect how the car handles. It's quite common to adjust your fuel levels based on what kind of performance you want, run the bare minimum if you want as much all-out pace as possible, run more than needed if you want the extra ballast to help keep the car from getting too loose at the end of the race. Extra weight of fuel can also affect tire life, a heavier car is going to push the tires into the tarmac more which can influence temps/pressures/wear, not to mention affect weight transfer in the turns. IMO fuel load is certainly part of tuning the car, a small part but a part nonetheless.

Having the lobby creator specify the fuel load and tire choice seems the way to go. As that prevents individual jiggering. The current work around of a lap one pit stop & subsequent start while cumbersome is doable on the tracks of reasonable length.

Having the tire selection and fuel load be available to the individual driver is not without merit. The default pressures for that tire would remain with the game & thus keep things equitable.

With the game established as it now is the avenue that least impacts the dev process gets my vote.

thanks for your interest and replies on this subject guys.
Seems there is a fix of some sort coming so will be interesting to see what actually lands and how it affects the league i run.

TBH, so long as the fuel amounts are the same at race start for everyone then its a huge win.....we can then regulate if extra fuel is needed by simply adjusting the fuel burn to real or off.

As for weather the fuel amount has an effect on the car, of course it does. If you can pick your fuel loads some guys might run a full tank and not take fuel at the stop, some will run light early and add the minimum to get home. Different cars and tracks work react differently to this scenario.

hopefully the patch lands very soon, and we will be talking about it for all the right reasons.

The workaround my league now runs for this is to advise drivers that they need to select their chosen default tune BEFORE they join the race lobby. We then set the lobby to go straight to track rather than arriving in the pits for the 2min countdown etc. This has so far allowed us to get everyone on the same fuel. No ideal but it will do for now.

The above is for races where we have completely stock rules (no pitting allowed and default tyres and fuel etc). In other series with longer races we have to do the other workaround which is a false start and pitstop on lap 1 etc.

Back