What's the term for...

  • Thread starter Thread starter raceur
  • 15 comments
  • 1,760 views
Messages
189
...the exact moment that, having been mighty pleased with yourself for carrying an extra 10kmph past the apex (and you can't wait for the little numbers to turn a lovely blue as they surely will, with all that glorious extra speed down the straight), you realise that to make the turn the car will now require the track to be as wide as small European country, or at least a very large saltpan. And you now have around a quarter of second to consider what do. There are plenty of choices; steering, lifting off, changing down, accelerating, even prayer...all of which will have as much effect on what will happen in the next 1/8 of a second as asking a mafia boss for leniency after he's caught you comparing his daughter to a camel, while using cash you stole from him to buy lingerie for his wife.

You may get to choose the manner of your execution, kind of like choosing which part of the car hits which bit of the barrier. You may as well put up a fight, you're now a four-wheeled meteorite heading direct for Planet Armco and it's all going to end the same familiar way; the free fairground ride of a bang, smoke, dizzy rotations, and no chance of the nice blue numbers proclaiming an improvement in your driving prowess.

Whatever that moment is called, I know that it well. And it was after one such experience, when the usual rotations had finally finished -- like a roulette wheel, see the car spin, where it stops nobody knows, will it be in this county or the next -- I found myself pointing exactly the wrong way down the track, again. So I thought given GT5P is a simulation then it should behave just like a real car in all situations, except of course damage, g-force, tyre wear, brake wear, visits to the mechanics which start with "should be routine" and end with you paying for his kids to go to Harvard, complaints from the wife (oh, wait).....well I mean real as far as the physics are concerned. So I selected reverse, floored it to redline, flicked the steering wheel one way then the other, off the accel hard onto the footbrake and the car did indeed whip around to perform a j-turn. Just like in real life, except of course the parkbrake isn't on the steering wheel and GT5P is kind enough to select a forward gear for you (if not widen the track just when you need it).

So there's my tip, if ever you find yourself sitting in cloud of tyre smoke and disappointment, use the chance to practice a j-turn, handbrake flick or something more exciting than a conventional three-pointer as you wind up for the next, sure-to-be-perfect, lap of the gods.
 
Enjoyable read, thank you kind sir, made me laugh more than once.
 
iN THE current mist of uncertainties, recession and even all those @#$( crappy threads polluting the Forum here and there,

Yours Raceur is one comfortably familiar and yet refreshing read That transports us through time til GT5 comes out, and thus making our wait more pleasant...

Thank you :cool:
 
iN THE current mist of uncertainties, recession and even all those @#$( crappy threads polluting the Forum here and there,

Yours Raceur is one comfortably familiar and yet refreshing read That transports us through time til GT5 comes out, and thus making our wait more pleasant...

What is this I don't even... :confused:
 
I know that feeling all too well. On another note, i did one better than a J-turn:

I was in an F430 yesterday on prologue, and i decided to do a handbrake turn going 170-180 mph on the straight on high speed ring. I turned a full 180 degrees anti-clockwise, then put my finger back onto the imitation throttle and I span 180 degrees back the other way (clockwise). So i did a handbrake turn in the middle of a straight, and when i corrected it, I was still going in excess of 170 mph :odd: :lol:

I expected to roll backwards and do a little J-turn, but instead i defied the laws of physics by turning the car around on what seemed like a turntable while maintaining my speed.
 
iN THE current mist of uncertainties, recession and even all those @#$( crappy threads polluting the Forum here and there,

Yours Raceur is one comfortably familiar and yet refreshing read That transports us through time til GT5 comes out, and thus making our wait more pleasant...

Thank you :cool:

What is this I don't even... :confused:

This. Erm - transports you through time till GT5 - dude, it took me 3 minutes to read (a very good 3 minutes mind you) - its not going to last me 6 months.

And what's doin' with the punctuation? Like theres a comma braking up a paragraph and then you have capitals in all weird places.

As for the original piece - well done, good read - you captured that moment quite nicely, but I think this belongs somewhere else than GT5.
 
Sorry guys,

I write like i drive...
... scary huh?... :P

That was my lame attempt to ... write. Guess i should stop :dunce:



Seismica: you wouldn't have the replay by any chance, would you?
 
Sorry guys,

I write like i drive...
... scary huh?... :P

That was my lame attempt to ... write. Guess i should stop :dunce:



Seismica: you wouldn't have the replay by any chance, would you?

No unfortunatley :(

I don't usually save replays, i didn't think to do that. (i bet your thinking 'video/pics or it didn't happen', but it did i swear)
 
I am in shock... a thread which is not complaining about trees, release dates and gardeners... but about the simple pleasures and joys of pushing your car to the absolute edge of it's and your limits.

I remember Jeremy Clarkson once describing the special technique required for driving a Jaguar XJ220 as repeating the following : "Our father who art in heaven... I'll be there in a minute"
 
Even though its about GT5Prologue its still a breath of fresh air to hear about actual gameplay, i almost forgot what Driving felt like. J-Turns and reverse 180's FTW.
 
I am in shock... a thread which is not complaining about trees, release dates and gardeners... but about the simple pleasures and joys of pushing your car to the absolute edge of it's and your limits.

I remember Jeremy Clarkson once describing the special technique required for driving a Jaguar XJ220 as repeating the following : "Our father who art in heaven... I'll be there in a minute"

:lol: I love it! :lol: 👍
 
Lovely thread! :) Most of the time I press the restart button, but sometimes I try to do a j-turn.
 
I was going to write my own reply but seeing as the first pretty much sums up what I was going to write then...

Enjoyable read, thank you kind sir, made me laugh more than once.
 
yeah more lovable than every thread in recent few days..

btw this is why i love gt :


just take a f40 for a spin and lose yourself in joy. (crapy camera but i love it :) )

i spend countless hours just driving along Citta di aria in gt4 with ac cobra & ginette..

or some db love (freaking too long car for a london track :) ):


or Clio V6 pure enjoyment:


i'm amazed that cliov6is just soo fun to drive. Stig also loved it and now i know why :)



every fun film is with N2 tires (love them) so there are some mistakes :D ) f40 with n2 tires and heel&toe is badaas combo :)
 
Last edited:
yeah more lovable than every thread in recent few days..

btw this is why i love gt :


just take a f40 for a spin and lose yourself in joy. (crapy camera but i love it :) )

i spend countless hours just driving along Citta di aria in gt4 with ac cobra & ginette..

or some db love (freaking too long car for a london track :) ):


or Clio V6 pure enjoyment:


i'm amazed that cliov6is just soo fun to drive. Stig also loved it and now i know why :)



every fun film is with N2 tires (love them) so there are some mistakes :D ) f40 with n2 tires and heel&toe is badaas combo :)

Gad damn.. :)

I love it. My track is suzuka short(i pretend its the top gear track lol)...
 
Back