What's this car really worth?

  • Thread starter Thread starter iflabs
  • 11 comments
  • 696 views
Messages
6
I'm looking for my first car and this one looks pretty good. I'm not that much into the power of one but just a nice sporty looking car. I found a 2002 Celica which looks like it has a body kit installed with rims. It gets 30 MPG which isn't bad either. This car will be used for the typical commuting to school and driving around, not sure how it's going to drive on snow--anyone care to give some advice?

What do you think? How much would you pay or expect someone to pay?

http://privatelabel.carsoup.com/use...hID=9166388&vehicleTypeID=1&UVViewID=4&Page=2
 
Yeah .. that link doesn't work.

Go to www.kbb.com (Kelley Blue Book's website) and look up the car and input the condition and amenities and all that stuff and it will tell you how much its worth.

Oh, and about the snow, it probably won't enjoy it much.
 
Are you sure it's got a kit and rims, and isn't the factory GT-S aero package? If it's aftermarket, I'd examine that car VERY closely.

Personally, though, with what that car costs, I'd forego it and buy, depending on budget, an Impreza WRX or 2.5RS. (Very nice, low mileage, GC8 2.5RSs can be had for around 12k, higher mileage for as low as 8.)
 
And remember, car modifications add almost zero to the value of a car unless they are factory. So if they tell you it has $8,000 in aftermarket work in it, that's great, it adds about $800 to the value of the car, and may take $800 off the value if they did the work themselves.
 
Yeah, it does look it has the aero kit, but the rims are custom.

Thanks all.
 
Celicas are junk if you want performance, comapred to their cost
 
sicbeing
Celicas are junk if you want performance, comapred to their cost

Their cost comes at build quality and reliabilaty, they won't have many breakdowns even if you abuse them repeatedly.
 
Thanks to MrktMkr1986's free car history report, I found out that the car has been declared salavage and than rebuilt. Does this still keep its value up there?
 
I wouldn't pay a penny for this car. Not only are 2000-2005 Celicas bad deals used, but salvage ones are even worse. Walk away quickly.
 
iflabs
Thanks to MrktMkr1986's free car history report, I found out that the car has been declared salavage and than rebuilt. Does this still keep its value up there?
Salvage-title cars are almost worthless. They're only even remotely worth buying if you get them for dirt cheap, you know they're salvage ahead of time, and you view them (and the money) as totally disposable.

For instance, no insurance company will write anything more than liability insurance on a salvage-title car. Which means if you buy it and it gets wrecked, you are out whatever you paid for the car, no matter what.
 
M5Power
I wouldn't pay a penny for this car. Not only are 2000-2005 Celicas bad deals used, but salvage ones are even worse. Walk away quickly.
I never thought I'd say it, but Doug's dead wrong on this one. 👎

You're crazy if you're not running away! :dunce:
 
Back