Whats this stuff about the AI being so great????/

• Thread starter LaBounti
  • 24 comments
Labounti
I'm fed up with em. They will ram you from behind they will run you off the road. They feel exactly like the AI from Project Gotham Racing 2. Advanced my ass. I was 100 yeards from the finih when i get rear ended and spun finishing 7th. A real human woulda saw me and slowed to avoid me but the AI doest right away. I do not like the AI in this game. I've been vicimised too many times. The only way to over come them is to supe up your ride to make sure they dont come near you. 👎

LB

I know what you mean, i've been given a few love taps too, the AI likes to let you know its there when it gets close. But still better than GT4. It seems that the AI has a real problem with the tight hair pins on the Tokyo circuit, a couple of times I've had my race ruined by the AI just going straight on around them.

I've noticed the AI likes to lock on to you. If you're ever shoulder-to-shoulder with one of the cars in the middle of a turn and they're on the inside, they'll just go strait. Same kind of thing whenever you're tailing one of them, if you're in contact with them, they just stop accelerating or hit the brakes. It's extremely annoying.

The worst I think is with Corvettes and Vipers, I'm getting very bloody upset with those 2 cars racing against similar ones.

THe way to test the AI is to do nothing at the start of the race and watch what the AI does. They ram you and smash into each other. If they get stuck behind you they just plow through you to get by. Foward, reverse, slight turn, forward, smash, reapet until they get clear. b I got the idea from the guy who tested Enthusia's AI.

Yeah, they are a little sorry. On tokyo, I got in second place because I was braking for a hair pin turn , next thing I know, this guy flies at me at over 70 mph!!

I finished second, I tryed taking him out, but his car didn't spin:(

LaBounti
THe way to test the AI is to do nothing at the start of the race and watch what the AI does. They ram you and smash into each other. If they get stuck behind you they just plow through you to get by. Foward, reverse, slight turn, forward, smash, reapet until they get clear. b I got the idea from the guy who tested Enthusia's AI.

what do you expect? you have 3 cars lined up right behind you ready to floor it when the light turns green. how are they supposed to know youre just going to sit there?

same thing happened at the beginning of the Nascar all star race last year, it was a rolling start, the guy on the front row lost his transmission right at the start line, and everyone behind him plowed right into him, because it was a green flag. You dont know whats going on that far in front of you when theres a few cars blocking your view.

As far as the AI "ramming you from behind and running you off the road", I havent really had this happen to me very much. Are you trying to block them when they try to pass? Ive noticed if you race cleanly with the AI, the AI will generally race cleanly with you. Ill jam on my brakes just to prevent bumping their back bumper.

NASCARS have 750hp these cars have around 250 and have plenty of room to adjust from a stand still, that doest solve the plowing throguh me part.

98cobra
Yeah, the A.I. is not perfect, but it's better than GT4s.

It's far from perfect but it's far better than a lot of the competition...

In Forza off the line things get hairy pretty often, especially as the competition gets harder. But try this test instead:

Start in last place (either pick a crap car or pull of the track and loop back to the start).

Park dead center or somewhere cars woud normally like to drive and wait.

When the cars come back around the track, barring that you are in an impossible spot to miss, the opponents will sweve to avoid you in Forza. In many other games they will come barreling down a straight and Tbone you.

So it's not perfect but it's a good start.

I have also found that in many situations the computer will ram into you if you race in a very unnexpected manner... for instance brake hard or early where the cpu driver has no reason to think you will, and like a real driver they will not have time to respond correctly (even though a computer could respond, a human could not). I find if you are going to block going into turns or hard braking situations, do what you would normally do, and give some warning:

Lightly push the brake hundred feet or so early, then roll into it. Yes this does mean you aren't racing the most aggressive line you could, but it saves me from being plowed into a lot.

If you have no one behind you, stand on the brake whenever you want, but just as with real live competition, if someone is behind you, give them a chance to see you slow and react.

I can't be sure it's intentionally programmed, but I have had instances where I will race a race a few times over and notice behavior in certain cars (one is aggressive, one takes the inside curve, one underbrakes all the time etc) and found that on occasion a car will act completely out of line for it's behavior, but usually I am doing something odd too:

ie: I am barreling down a straight with a hard turn at the end. Normally I would start to brake 300 ft back, but this guy is 2 lengths behind me who I know likes to underbrake and cut me off, and I don't want to let him underbrake and overtake me. So I let it run a little farther than I should hoping he will brake first or at least I won't leave him the room to pass me... I notice he keeps on the gas too... we both end up going off the track since neither of us could make the turn properly.

It's like he was playing chicken with me and neither of us gave in early enough...

Maybe it's my imagination thinking the CPU is that advanced... but maybe it really does make mistakes based on in game stimulai.

Devedander
I have also found that in many situations the computer will ram into you if you race in a very unnexpected manner... for instance brake hard or early where the cpu driver has no reason to think you will, and like a real driver they will not have time to respond correctly (even though a computer could respond, a human could not). I find if you are going to block going into turns or hard braking situations, do what you would normally do, and give some warning:

Lightly push the brake hundred feet or so early, then roll into it. Yes this does mean you aren't racing the most aggressive line you could, but it saves me from being plowed into a lot.

If you have no one behind you, stand on the brake whenever you want, but just as with real live competition, if someone is behind you, give them a chance to see you slow and react.

I can't be sure it's intentionally programmed, but I have had instances where I will race a race a few times over and notice behavior in certain cars (one is aggressive, one takes the inside curve, one underbrakes all the time etc) and found that on occasion a car will act completely out of line for it's behavior, but usually I am doing something odd too:

ie: I am barreling down a straight with a hard turn at the end. Normally I would start to brake 300 ft back, but this guy is 2 lengths behind me who I know likes to underbrake and cut me off, and I don't want to let him underbrake and overtake me. So I let it run a little farther than I should hoping he will brake first or at least I won't leave him the room to pass me... I notice he keeps on the gas too... we both end up going off the track since neither of us could make the turn properly.

It's like he was playing chicken with me and neither of us gave in early enough...

Maybe it's my imagination thinking the CPU is that advanced... but maybe it really does make mistakes based on in game stimulai.

you took the words right out of my mouth...thats exactly the type of stuff I have noticed about the AI, and why I think its so much better than most racing games out right now. I especially agree with the parts I highlighted, Im always watching my rear view mirror when I enter turns.

the AI isnt bad, its just aggressive, you would make a simalair thread to this if the AI where little wimps wouldnt you?

the ai rules, i cant fault it.

the AI is alot better on hard. ive also noticed certain cars act diffrently. and ive had instances where i was in third or forth and the lead car and runner up actuay ram each other for frist. i thought this was really cool becuase i drove outside of them for the lead. whats cool is that once you figure out a certain cars AI then you can expect them to act that way though the whole heat

also the AI somtimes crashes into each other and dont run that perfect line. but also the AI has blind spots like a regular human. try drivng in the blind spot of another car, and they will ram into you at times trying to take the line. but if you move up or drop down they will swerve away quickly and somtimes hit a wall, ive een them do this off the line

Forza AI whilst not being great, is still far far better than GT4s lame AI. Forzas AI atleast often make an attempt at intelligence whereas my GT4 session came to an abrupt end when I broke early into a corner in new York (if I don't I crash) and was rear ended at over 100mph by a dumb AI car forcing me to plow into the wall :grumpy: Causing me to loose the race.

I cant believe you guys dont think the AI is great, it pisses me off all the time but it far better than anything out there! I hate when I am turning next to the AI and it forces me off the road, but at the same time its cool, gotta pass in the staights or be more aggressive myself. They put up a great fight and almost seem to develop personalities... usually I have a battle with one of the cars on the track.

The AI does some stupid things for sure, but sometimes you should finish out the race and watch the replays, then sometimes you will see what seemed like a totally stupid move in game from teh outside seemed far less setupid.

Also I agree on the personality. Sadly it only is useful for that race and when you move to a different race there is no way to carry over that info, but it's nice to know who you can crowd safely and who you want to give a wide birth to.

drive better! :dunce: j/k. the ai can be a pain at times, but i feel its far better than anything out there (tho i havent played enthusia). at least the ai in this game doesnt drive on a set path every single time, they CAN be moved from their line, they do make mistakes, but mostly if youre nice to them, they're nice to you. im not sayin they're perfect, but i usually dont have any trouble w/ em. its nice to see different cars have different personalities.

i was racing one race, forget what it was, think it was an s class race, and a corvette came up too hot behind me in a corner, and as i closed my eyes and braced for impact, i opened them to see hed actually swerved OFF the road to avoid me. now i had seen a viper earlier in the race driving like a prick, and he caught up to me in another turn, and i just KNEW hed come in hot and ram me, and sure enough, he did. frustrating, yes. but id rather race w/ them than 'robot' AI

Caligula1
AI:

Enthusia has the best AI by far.
Forza second
GT4 last, sadly
I agree, but I'm not sure about Enthusias because I haven't played it yet, but I hate it on Forza when you drive those GT cars the damn computer always brakes late and slams right in back of you and when you try to brake late like them, you run off the road. 👎

The Ernster
Why bother about A.I when there's Xbox Live. :crazy:

Becuase even the janky AI is better than a lot of the LIVE drivers. The AI will usually not just tbone you and use you as a cushion on the hairpins like a lot of less skilled human drivers will.

Actually the AI makes a lot of illegal moves. Particularily on the Blue Mountains race track, it's god-awful. Like, it almost always tries to ram me onto the grass whenever I'm side-by-side with one, they usually spin my out the same way a cop touches the quarter panel and nudges, and they constantly rear-end me regardless of how much braking warning I give them.

Worst track and AI is on that (Blue Mountains) race, ever. By far. The AI always crashes into me, twice at the very beginning, and usually 3-4 times throughout the rest of the race. And it's only with this track, so there has to be some sort of "Increase agression by 10 billion %" code to go with it. I'm not sure whether it's my driving style suddenly changing on this race or not, but it's damn annoying.

The AI in Forza is good but has some peculiarities aboout it.
Often on the Tokyo track at the begining of the race the lead cars slow down before going through the short right hand kink before the left hairpin. Several times I've whacked into car that has virtually stopped! And I've had cars slamming on the brakes in front of me for apparantly no reason at all. So they're occassionally psycopathic but fun!

As for having contact with them you nearly always come off worse. They seem to have twice the density and weight of your car! Also the collision detection is a little off. There seems to be an invisible box around the cars meaning you can be tapped and spun out from behind without actually being touched. It's very slight but you can see it.

Still, the AI do make mistakes. I've seen some great crashes!

slackbladder
The AI in Forza is good but has some peculiarities aboout it.
Often on the Tokyo track at the begining of the race the lead cars slow down before going through the short right hand kink before the left hairpin. Several times I've whacked into car that has virtually stopped! And I've had cars slamming on the brakes in front of me for apparantly no reason at all. So they're occassionally psycopathic but fun!

As for having contact with them you nearly always come off worse. They seem to have twice the density and weight of your car! Also the collision detection is a little off. There seems to be an invisible box around the cars meaning you can be tapped and spun out from behind without actually being touched. It's very slight but you can see it.

Still, the AI do make mistakes. I've seen some great crashes!
Yeah, the A.I. can carry a lot more weight and they brake much later.

And suspiciously, the AI has much more grip. I've noticed that as soon as you tap their quarter panel, the car suddenly becomes FWD and impossible to spin out.

Also, I think in racing games, if you race too dirty you should be penalized.

Back