What's with the bumper cam height?

What do you guys think of FM4's bumper cam compared to other sims and racing games?

I think it sits too high, which somewhat defeats the purpose of the bumper cam: a dangerous sense of speed and immersion since it sits so close to the tarmac.

FM4's feels like it's either sitting on the edge of the hood or somewhere between the roof and cockpit level!

I've conducted this experiment with various cars: one scenario where I was driving a Lambo Diablo SV and there was a Vette Z06 directly in front of me, maybe about 4 feet away.

Paused the game, changed perspectives; the cockpit view sits exactly at the right height as well as the hood view. You can see only the Vette's beautiful backside and tailpipes.

Switch to the bumper view and it not only zooms you in (for some strange reason) but also you can now see the top of the Vette's trunk and roof!

Seriously, what gives? I know it may not be a game-breaker, but it bothers me a little, especially when so many racing games do such a wonderful job with the bumper cam. Dirt 3's is one of the best.

Is there any way at all I can force the bumper cam to sit lower? I don't like how it sits higher than the hood cam, zoomed in, and you see more of the tamac and less of the skyline and horizon. As if it's sitting high on the hood, zoomed in, and pointed down at the road.

Maybe play around with the multiscreen options?

Speedster I think that in the Multiscreen settings you only can change the FOV (Field of View) value but to my knowledge it's not possible to change anything else

^^ Go into the options from the career mode main menu - there's an option to select the default view.

Well, I wouldn't exactly call it a bumper cam. Seems more like it sits slightly higher than the hood view and zoomed in. On a lot of the low-slung cars like the F1 or the Radical SRT for example, the cam should be hugging the road, and it doesn't.

Try this experiment:

Park your car right up against the track boundary, preferably against a stack of tyres. Switch to cockpit, driver's seat height looks just about right. Switch to hood cam, the cam sits exactly where it should. On a low slung car you will not be able to see the top of the tyre stack against the track boundary. Now switch to bumper cam, it is not only zoomed in for some unusual reason, but also sits higher than the hood cam! You can clearly see the top of the boundary wall or tyre stack.

Bothers me just a little when I'm driving an F1 and about to overtake a Skyline GTR and instead of getting a view of it's tail lights and exhaust only I get to have a clear view of it's trunk and rear windscreen.

Just pause a replay as you're about to overtake a car in front of you: switch between hood and bumper cam and see how it's instantly zoomed in and sits higher than the former. Wierd.

As you cycle through the various cam options in replay, there's a roof option. Keep cycling until you get to a front view that sits really close to the tarmac. THAT's a bumper view!

Don't understand why Forza's bumper cam is unusual, all other sims and racing games I've played have the bumper cam sitting where it should: practically hugging the tarmac.

Anyhow, I think they've fixed this in FM5.

Back