What's with the McLaren MP4-12c?

Does SMS have something against this car?
Now I'm not that big of a car expert, so I don't know about this car in real life, but in Shift 2 this car is just TERRIBLE!
I remember that one elimination race you had to do with this car, ABSOLUTELY terrible!
This car spins at the SLIGHTEST mistakes, for me this car was dreadful to drive.
I love to race cleanly and try to make it as fair.
But I got so frustrated I ended up ramming opponents just so I could get a podium in that elimination race!
Of course this is just my opinion. Maybe you guys love the McLaren?
But I feel like SMS hates it too!
Whenever I do a GT1 race and this car is in there it feels like the AI is programmed to be a total *$%@*#& and just get in the way.
The car is not that fast in a straight line, and total bullocks in a corner. :yuck:
How do you guys feel about this car?
Does SMS simply hate McLaren or is the car this bad in real life?

EDIT!
To be fair, although this car is complete trash (IMO) to race, it is a lot of fun to drive.
I've had a few good times putting this car on the Nurburgring on Time Attack and just seeing it slip and slide and oversteer and understeer and spin and everything else.
That's fun, but actually figuring out how to properly race this car is just terrible.

Last edited:
SMS hate real life physics and just substituted their own. IRL this car is unbelievably quick and its night and day better than it is in Shift 2.

SMS hate real life physics and just substituted their own. IRL this car is unbelievably quick and its night and day better than it is in Shift 2.

Ah.
Guess that makes sense.
Because this car made me so curious I looked up videos on Youtube.
Fifth Gear and shows like that are saying it's not that great.
People are complaining that it's not that good.
I watched a video of Lewis Hamilton driving it and he said it was great but in the video I see him sliding through corners and etc.

I never trust the TV presenters....having driven one myself its an absolute blast :D

Well I find it a blast to drive when it comes to excitement!
But I think it's handling is just terrible!
I'm even watching the McLaren Test Driver having to quickly correct the wheel or he would spin! :P
This car is just not my cup of tea! :P

Maybe you guys love the McLaren?

Yesssssss!!!:)
Because:

To be fair, although this car is complete trash (IMO) to race, it is a lot of fun to drive.

But it's not trash...just hard! ;)

That's fun, but actually figuring out how to properly race this car is just terribleAMAZING

There, fixed it for Ya.:sly:

Whenever I do a GT1 race and this car is in there it feels like the AI is programmed to be a total *$%@*#& and just get in the way.

You'd have a job finding a MP4-12C in a GT1 race, seeming it isn't a GT1 car (or GT3 for that matter).

Anyway, it's all in the tuning of the car. The stock version is pretty horrible and the works conversion isn't great at first ever but just find a track you like and tune it to drive the way you want. Either that or check out T-12's tunes (mainly talking about suspension really as that's what causes the very sensitive handling).

Its a total bitch in stock tune. The front end is all over the place, like a beagle sniffing for rabbits. If it reacts even remotely like that in real life, there are gonna be a lot of dead millionaires by the sides of the road pretty soon.

What I would like to know: How can you obtain a second one in Shift 2? I would like to try it works'd but I dont want to lose my only MP4 in case I hate the works version... Can you win it a second time? Or undo the works? :nervous:

I had the same problem... Then I bought a second. In fact I just won the Leno trophy and have money to spare (next it'll be a Zonda R). Unfortunately I don't remember how it handles anymore to help you but I can say Its not the worse car in this game.

Money in this game its not a problem :D

Does SMS have something against this car?
Now I'm not that big of a car expert, so I don't know about this car in real life,...

Maybe this is the key... we pick an exotic car and expect to race it at blazing speed and win races. What are the chances IRL to jump in for the first time and competively race with veterans. All of the cars are drivable "within my limits" - takes time before I can learn to control on the edge. The problem with a game is the loss of seat-of-the-pants feel required IRL.

Many also complain of the out-of-the-box setups of the cars but in some ways that's what makes it more of a sim. The "fast" S2U racers are like "fast" real life racers to some extent - they practice, practice, practice, and tune! Sometimes when I think I have hit my wall, I surprise myself by shaving off huge amounts of time by additional tuning and practice. That's what makes S2U challenging for me. My $.005

@ Rommie: Am I missing something here? The only McLaren I can buy in the game is the F1..?! I d love to buy a second one and worksmod it. :guilty:

@ Rommie: Am I missing something here? The only McLaren I can buy in the game is the F1..?! I d love to buy a second one and worksmod it. :guilty:

I do know the Speedhunters pack gave a works one. Now I got 2. One works, one stock.

So there is no way to obtain a second MP4-12c than to purchase a DLC pack for 9.99€ that I m not interested into in the slightest bit otherwise? That sucks elephant balls! :grumpy:

Maybe this is the key... we pick an exotic car and expect to race it at blazing speed and win races. What are the chances IRL to jump in for the first time and competively race with veterans. All of the cars are drivable "within my limits" - takes time before I can learn to control on the edge. The problem with a game is the loss of seat-of-the-pants feel required IRL.

Many also complain of the out-of-the-box setups of the cars but in some ways that's what makes it more of a sim. The "fast" S2U racers are like "fast" real life racers to some extent - they practice, practice, practice, and tune! Sometimes when I think I have hit my wall, I surprise myself by shaving off huge amounts of time by additional tuning and practice. That's what makes S2U challenging for me. My $.005

Hey!!!
That's $.010 right there!!!;)
I agree with most of what You've stated...how many of us could pick a Mclaren F1 take it, say, to Spa and do a competitive lap time without killing oneself?!

So there is no way to obtain a second MP4-12c than to purchase a DLC pack for 9.99€ that I m not interested into in the slightest bit otherwise? That sucks elephant balls! :grumpy:

:lol:
African or Asian?:sly:

Yesssssss!!!:)
Because:

But it's not trash...just hard! ;)
Yes, very hard :grumpy:
I was a bit unfair with the word trash.
I'll be honest, but it does handle terribly for me!

You'd have a job finding a MP4-12C in a GT1 race, seeming it isn't a GT1 car (or GT3 for that matter).

Well I'm doing the Nurburgring Endurance Race (5 laps one) And I pick my GT1 Murcielago as my car, and the AI automatically gets a similar car to it. It may not be a GT1 car, but it races against the GT1 Lamborghini and Maserati and so on.
Anyway, it's all in the tuning of the car. The stock version is pretty horrible and the works conversion isn't great at first ever but just find a track you like and tune it to drive the way you want. Either that or check out T-12's tunes (mainly talking about suspension really as that's what causes the very sensitive handling).
Yeah most cars here have crap handling stock, but for me this car just went above and beyond the crap level. Almost to the point of undrivable, which brings me to the next quote.
bmwisme;5613929[COLOR="red"
]Maybe this is the key... we pick an exotic car and expect to race it at blazing speed and win races. [/COLOR] What are the chances IRL to jump in for the first time and competively race with veterans. All of the cars are drivable "within my limits" - takes time before I can learn to control on the edge. The problem with a game is the loss of seat-of-the-pants feel required IRL.

Now obviously I don't expect me to be that great driving the car the first time.
I tried to take it slow but it did not AT ALL work for me.
I'll use the Renown Tuning thread and give the McLaren another chance :)

As I recall stock tunes, due to EA brain damage, were required to be done in such a manner that the AI could get around Ebisu with them. Oh how I'd love to have an hour or so with the monkey that made that choice.

I tried to take it slow but it did not AT ALL work for me.
I'll use the Renown Tuning thread and give the McLaren another chance :)

Did you have all aids off? If so, you are not simulating this McLaren.

Note, I haven't raced this McLaren myself so I am not talking from experience.

I remember that one elimination race you had to do with this car, ABSOLUTELY terrible!

For the eliminator event, I practiced using Quick Race with the SpeedHunters MP4-12c. The SH MP4-12C has a higher PI than the stock one.

Once I could consistently turn decent laps without crashing at London Royal Mile at night, I went back to the Eliminator event and had no problem winning it and controlling the supplied stock MP4-12C. After practicing with the higher PI version, the stock one seemed easier to control because it is much slower.

If you don't have the SH DLC, you could probably practice using another slippery beast like one of the Paganis that is not tuned that has a higher PI than the McLaren.

Remember the Eliminator event-supplied cars are not tuned, so the handling, suspension, and braking is less than stellar on all of them.

Personally, I found the Riviera eliminator event that uses the Pagani Zonda F, harder to win.

I've done the eliminator event :)
Ramming did the trick :)
The Zonda eliminator was also tricky! But I was able to manage that one after about a half hour of trying!
Now that I think about it, all the eliminator events are quite hard! 👍

As I recall stock tunes, due to EA brain damage, were required to be done in such a manner that the AI could get around Ebisu with them.

I hate to tell you this, but that was actually SMS brain damage so you would have to wish for a solitary hour with one of them...

When its tuned its not that bad; there are a lot of cars in the not as good list. just dont expect it to win against the top 5, i find it good for small tight tracks.

regards UVVBM

Back