Whats Your Comeback?

• Thread starter gogatrs
  • 20 comments
United States
I Hate Stalkers
gogatrs
OK guys, I'm 14, and I'm into racing karts.
Not the carnival go karts, real, Rotax Junior/CRG Black Star. (Which I may say handles EXACTLY like in GT5).

Now, this takes up most of my time in the summer, which means I don't has time for other commitments like other sports.
For this reason, kids will make comments like "That's not a real sport," or "How does that require any physical strength."

Now I know for a fact that they say this because they have never tried it, they say they have, but those are the carnival go karts that are limited to 30 mph. Whereas I'm going more than twice that speed at 80 mph.

They just don't get it. They don't get the physical endurance it takes to drive one of these. I'm perfectly fit, average size, average strength, I ran the fastest mile in my grade, etc. etc.
But they don't think that I'm athletic because I don't play a REAL sport.

What should I say back to them?

Wow, I didn't realize how long that was, sorry. :)

I this is in the wrong section, just tell me, I'll move it.

Last edited:
Well, to be honest, I wouldn't worry so much about comebacks, one thing you really learn when you're a bit older is it doesn't matter what other people think, and arguing with them about it will drag the whole thing down to their level, and chances are anything you come up with just give them more ammo to jip you with...

.. if anything just square up to one of 'em, give them a phone book and ask 'em to find the person in there that gives a 🤬 about their opinion..

Just my two cents..

PS good luck with the racing, wish I'd have been doing it at your age!

Ah I had this trying to explain karting to my mates (I race Junior rotax also), they see it as you sit down move your legs and arms.

If you can get them to sit down and hold to weights out in their arms asif the are driving and move their arms asif they are steering, see how long they can last

And as the previous poster said who gives a 🤬 about what they think, karting is a proper sport.

Well, I get what you guys are saying, I really don't give a 🤬 about what they think.
But it just p***es me off that one of them goes around saying "Yeah I'm a sponsored kneeboarder!" (No joke) and they suck at everything else they do. And yet they find a way to make fun of me for karting.
I've tried the, "yeah well why don't you try experiencing g's back and forth all day, under the 85 degree sun, in a suit and helmet that doesn't go to a temperature below 120 degrees."
But they just don't get, I brought them to an indoor track awhiles back and kicked every single one of their asses. They actually thought that they'd be able to bet me with zero experience. And yet they STILL give me a hard time.

It's not that I'm irked by it or anything, I wouldn't give this sport up for anything, but it's just so annoying that they're so ignorant and stupid and think they know everything about something that they've never done.
Then again, I guess that's the definition of an American teenager. :)

Asuming karting keeps you fit like other motorsports, challenge them to do a marathon or a trialthlon with you.

Otherwise you could tell them to try karting and see how good they are.

Best comeback is none @ all. The fact they know it irks/pisses you off is the reason that these people keep teasing you. Be above the tormentors mentally & you will win every time.

Asuming karting keeps you fit like other motorsports, challenge them to do a marathon or a trialthlon with you.

Otherwise you could tell them to try karting and see how good they are.

Karting isn't like that kind of excersise its not cardiovascular its more muscular. You arn't out of breath after a race but more just acheing (like after doing lots of pressups.)

I did the indoor karting with mates and won easily. However as you said they still don't get it.

Gogatrs: I can't believe how alike me you are, You race junior rotax like me and I have a mate who is sponsored at wakeboarding (llike kneeboarding just standing up). He however gets how karting is a proper sport though because it puts the same kinda stress's on the body as wakeboarding (you have to hold the rope using the muscles from the same part of the arm as you hold the steering wheel). And some of the mental tricks he pulls of (backflips) puts the same strain on the shoulders and neck as karting G force does.

If you try to explain it to him using his knowlegede of kneeboarding that may help.

OK, so am I just supposed to sit there and say, "Yup, uh huh, you're totally right, karting/racing isn't a sport at all. It requires no physical endurance whatsoever and you could easily do it just as well as me."

How should I even respond to this.
It's really annoying how they think that they're so smart and think that they would be so good at this when they can't even handle the force feedback set on five on my DFGT. :)

OK, so am I just supposed to sit there and say, "Yup, uh huh, you're totally right, karting/racing isn't a sport at all. It requires no physical endurance whatsoever and you could easily do it just as well as me."

Wouldn't hurt, saying it doesn't make it true, and it gives them very little comeback.. plus you can't force people to like or respect what you do, and being overly keen gain the approval of others is a weakness, as it will distract you from your goal. Spend more time being good at it, and less time trying to tell them how good you are at it.

.. again, just my two cents.

Now, this takes up most of my time in the summer, which means I don't has time for other commitments like other sports.
For this reason, kids will make comments like "That's not a real sport," or "How does that require any physical strength."

1) Since when did activities have to be "sports"? For that matter, racing is known as "motorsports", which has "sports" right there in the name and is categorized under sports.

2) Why do activities have to be about strength? People play poker, but how much strength does that require? Does fishing require strength? I'm not seeing how demands of strength factor into anything.

1) Since when did activities have to be "sports"? For that matter, racing is known as "motorsports", which has "sports" right there in the name and is categorized under sports.

2) Why do activities have to be about strength? People play poker, but how much strength does that require? Does fishing require strength? I'm not seeing how demands of strength factor into anything.

They're not sports anyway.

"There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games."
- Supposedly Ernest Hemingway, possibly some other author, but still a great quote

Regardless if you're an amateur racing driver, a pro racing racer driver, a motorsports fan, a car hobbyist or simply a person that likes cars, I'm sure we have all been there Gogatrs. These people just won't get our addiction to motorsports. Racing is a drug in itself, and 10 times more addictive than anything once you fall in love with it. But you have to like it first.

As long as people and the media in general treat motorspots as something of an unusual novelty, there will be no respect for motorsports in most parts of North America. Not to mention the first image most people will think of when mentioning autoracing will be NASCAR anyways. Which to laypeople is a sport that involves crashes and driving around in circles. It's too strong an image to change most times. In comparison, I imagine karts must seem like stupid toys that "rich kids" get to play with occasionally. Though I could be wrong, who knows what their line of thinking could be like?

My suggestion? Don't worry about it. 👍 There are far more important things in life than getting back at fools you met in highschool, that you will probably never see again afterwards. If they don't like motorsports then that's their problem.

Fortunately, there are thousands of motorsports communities out there (like this one) where you can find people with similar interests to talk about. :cheers:

I think I made a bit of a rant out of that. :lol:

Last edited:
Grand Prix
They're not sports anyway.

"There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games." - Supposedly Ernest Hemingway, possibly some other author, but still a great quote

Regardless if you're an amateur racing driver, a pro racing racer driver, a motorsports fan, a car hobbyist or simply a person that likes cars, I'm sure we have all been there Gogatrs. These people just won't get our addiction to motorsports. Racing is a drug in itself, and 10 times more addictive than anything once you fall in love with it. But you have to like it first.

As long as people and the media in general treat motorspots as something of an unusual novelty, there will be no respect for motorsports in most parts of North America. Not to mention the first image most people will think of when mentioning autoracing will be NASCAR anyways. Which to laypeople is a sport that involves crashes and driving around in circles. It's too strong an image to change most times. In comparison, I imagine karts must seem like stupid toys that "rich kids" get to play with occasionally. Though I could be wrong, who knows what their line of thinking could be like?

My suggestion? Don't worry about it. 👍 There are far more important things in life than getting back at fools you met in highschool, that you will probably never see again afterwards. If they don't like motorsports then that's their problem.

Fortunately, there are thousands of motorsports communities out there (like this one) where you can find people with similar interests to talk about. :cheers:

I think I made a bit of a rant out of that. :lol:

See my sig. :)
That's on the billboard at Lime Rock Park here in Connecticut. :)

NASCAR is definitely one of my issues.
When I say that I'm going to be a race car driver when I grow up, people immediately think NASCAR, "What skill does driving around in a circle for hours on end take."
They think that I'm going to go live in a trailer park and grow a mullet. :yuck:

And as for the rich kid toys, I realize that you're not trying to start an argument, and neither am I. But, karts do in fact take skill. :)

If anyone who reads this is on the East Coast of the US and is doubting me, google Endurance Karting Johan Shwartz, and sign up for the events.
Those karts are only 20 or so HP, but tell me how you feel after driving in one of those events. Also, tell me how you place.

My family isn't that wealthy, this is a huge commitment, it's REAL racing.

Ask any of the greats, Michael Schumacher, Patrick Long, Lewis Hamilton, etc. etc.

Last edited:
I'm 15 and I don't have the chance to drive karts at all:(

I do drive tiller driven boats at times, some of my friends say it's easy and requires no skill.

They usually cannot last more than 5 minutes holding onto a 25hp single cylinder outboard while trying to keep the damn boat going straight in 1m swells:D

Same with GT5, I get them to try and complete one lap of TGTT with a NASCAR on Comfort-Hards with no driving aids:mischievous:

Basically, just ignore them. You know how much it takes for yourself.

^^^ Tried this, The 'Ring at night, in the rain. You'll know what "fear" means.

See my sig. :)
That's on the billboard at Lime Rock Park here in Connecticut. :)

NASCAR is definitely one of my issues.
When I say that I'm going to be a race car driver when I grow up, people immediately think NASCAR, "What skill does driving around in a circle for hours on end take."
They think that I'm going to go live in a trailer park and grow a mullet. :yuck:

And as for the rich kid toys, I realize that you're not trying to start an argument, and neither am I. But, karts do in fact take skill. :)

If anyone who reads this is on the East Coast of the US and is doubting me, google Endurance Karting Johan Shwartz, and sign up for the events.
Those karts are only 20 or so HP, but tell me how you feel after driving in one of those events. Also, tell me how you place.

My family isn't that wealthy, this is a huge commitment, it's REAL racing.

Ask any of the greats, Michael Schumacher, Patrick Long, Lewis Hamilton, etc. etc.

I know it isn't that pricey, I'm just trying to understand what point of view these people are coming from. Many people assume that to be a racing driver you have to be rich. Obviously that is false. :lol:

It's very cool that you have such a willing and committing family to help you on this also. 👍

Grand Prix
I know it isn't that pricey, I'm just trying to understand what point of view these people are coming from. Many people assume that to be a racing driver you have to be rich. Obviously that is false. :lol:

It's very cool that you have such a willing and committing family to help you on this also. 👍

Yes, I definitely have to thank my parents for this.
It is an EXTREMELY large commitment for me and my parents.
This is what I want to do with my life and my parents support that.

The you have to be rich to be a racing driver, is what's destroying some of the racing here in the US.
I know someone who's an awesome guy and an even awesome driver, he finished in like 40th in the GT Academy while using only a control and 2 hours of play time during the final round.

He works at an indoor facility as a driving coach and one of the kids he worked with had a rich dad. Who had enough money for a GTChallenge slot in the ALMS. And man they sucked!

So my dad mentioned the he should ask for a ride. And they turned him down because he didn't have the money. WTF?

There are plenty of great drivers out there, but some of them just don't have the money to do some of it.

It's not necessarily a rich persons sport, but t definitely isnt a poor persons sport.

You're 14 now, stuff like this appears to matter. But take my advice, in a couple of years (3-4 at most) none of this will matter at all. Just keep on karting and enjoy what you do.

I used to Kart a lot when I was younger, sadly I wasnt fortunate enough to have wealthy parents that allowed me to persue my dream. The better you get in karting, the more expensive it gets.

Back