What's your Favorite Japanese Sports Car Revolution Car

  • Thread starter Thread starter dustbin89
  • 20 comments
  • 4,789 views
Messages
39
It's no secret that Gran Turismo LOVES the Japanese sports car revolution, and as the GT series has basically been my car bible growing up, so do I. The evidence of this is in the sheer number of Japanese sports cars in the series from the 90's, and I was wondering, out of these millions of RX-7's and Skyline's what ones are favored the most among GT's fans.

My top 3

1. Toyota Supra RZ '97
2. Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX Version S TwinTurbo 2seater (Z32) '98
3. Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo '96
 
Mine:

1992.toyota.celica.10128-E.jpg

1993.toyota.celica.10147-E.jpg
 
Supra GT Turbos

Are they the
Supra 2.5GT Twin Turbo R '90
and
Supra 3.0GT Turbo A '88
from GT5?
 
Easy:

dm11.jpg


Though the Honda NSX, the FD RX7 and pretty much any generation of Celica all rank up there for me. Soft spot for the Mitsubishi FTO too.

I know it's not a popular viewpoint but I've always found Supras, 300ZXs and Skylines quite tedious, but I think a lot of that is from over-exposure in GT games and car culture.
 
It's got to be the

motoring-graphics-2_839489a.jpg


for me.
 
For me it's also the MX5/Miata, but I also love the series 1 NSX (since I saw one up close for the first time relatively recently), the original Celica Supra, the late 80s/early 90s Celicas pictured above (these have really grown on me lately) and any MR2, series 1, 2 or 3.

I also loved the GTR Concept but personally think that they'd messed the design up by the time it reached production.

EDIT: Yeah Daan's right, the FD/series 3 RX-7 was also very nice, best left without visible mods IMHO.
 
Definitely the 80's Toyota Celica Supra, 'specially with the flares, 8-spoke wheels, and a set of white letter tires. :sly:
4718046592_63a38e1f19.jpg
 
Mine should be obvious. ;)
 
I'm more into the larger, more comfortable grand touring cars than the raw sports cars, but there were some scintillating ones! After the dust settles, my list would look like this:

1. Subaru SVX
2. Toyota Soarer/Lexus SC400
3. Nissan R390 (not sure if this counts but I think it's an epic car all the same)
4. Subaru Impreza 22b
5. Nissan 300ZX
 
I feel like the Gran Turismo really has changed my love of Japanese sports cars. Just can't get enough. The number one on this list actually showed me it's existence. Never knew it existed until I started playing Gran Turismo. :D

1. Honda/Acura NSX
2. Toyota Supra RZ
3. Nissan Skyline GT-R (All gens!)
4. Toyota Celica GT-Four ST205
5. Subaru Impreza WRX STI
 
1. FD3S RX-7, later the better (best car I have ever, ever driven)
2. NSX, I personally like the later models with the fixed headlamps, they look lighter and more purposeful somehow
3. Honda S2000, any. fantastic superbike-like engine
 
I think the FD RX-7 is one of the most beautiful cars of all time, but my unfamiliarity with the rotary engine has always kinda scared me away from seriously considering one without doing a JZ-swap (blasphemy, I know).

But to actually own, it's definitely the Impreza. Either a '99 2.5 RS coupe or the newer STI hatchback could quite easily be my next car. That hatch took forever to grow on me, and now I freakin' love that look!

The NSX is my true dream car, though it just feels so unobtainable despite really not being that expensive now.
 
Top 3...

R32 GT-R exactly like this one. For me it's the daddy. I can't believe it was so overlooked by a snobby Western automotive media for so long. I've been wanting one of these since I first saw a picture of one in a world cars magazine back in 1989. Gunmetal Grey if your buying...


Nissan Skyline GT-R by R-W-P, on Flickr

The NS-X because it's just about the most underrated car ever. I'll take mine in '92 R form, Championship White with red interior of course.


Honda NS-X Type-R by R-W-P, on Flickr

Subaru and Mitsubishi circa mid-90's - talk about bringing power to the people. I've always had the hots for the Evo over the WRX just cos it's just that little bit more down and dirty if you see what I mean. I first obsessed over the IV, but I think the V has got to be my favourite version - just that little bit more bonkers! I remember reading a review of the Evo years and years ago in which they referred to it as Japanese white goods - basically compared it to a fridge. That's just why I love them. No pretension, function over form, almost utilitarian (although I think this is wherein it's beauty lies).

This is the only decent picture I have of one, but I'll take mine in Scotia White (IIRC) with roll cage and no interior.


mit_lancerevolution5_unknown_01_uk by R-W-P, on Flickr

Special mention? The Toyota Chaser Tourer-V. This is my favourite Japanese car hands down. Why do I like it so much? I don't know really. I just do, and that should be enough.


Chaser Tourer-V by R-W-P, on Flickr
 
I love a whole load of them...
ST205 Celica
NSX
FD
WRX STi
S2000

Pick one, you say?

Either NSX or WRX STi
 
Is "Japanese Sports Car Revolution" some sort of dancing and driving experiment gone terribly wrong?
 
Is "Japanese Sports Car Revolution" some sort of dancing and driving experiment gone terribly wrong?

Uhhh...you have to dance to the Initial D soundtrack while timing high jumps to avoid the Japanese sports cars that are trying to run you over? :scared:
 
Uhhh...you have to dance to the Initial D soundtrack while timing high jumps to avoid the Japanese sports cars that are trying to run you over? :scared:

That sounds like fun.
 
Back