Wheel Newb, 5 Days In So Far "Help Wanted"

• Thread starter HE1RO
  • 24 comments

HE1RO

(Banned)
United States
Oklahoma
K_Beast_D
I can race just fine, but drifting is proving difficult. Sometimes i get off a good entry and its going well until i inevitably fail... I thought it required a different wheel, but i have seen people on youtube using a DFGT and drifting quite well, so i have been trying harder and it seems i haven't gotten anywhere since yesterday. Watched BMI Drift Bible all day and got pumped, it wore off pretty quick...

Any advice would be helpful, i would like this thread to be used as a good reference for other people trying to drift with a wheel. So when you post something, dont just think of me, think of all the lost newbs in the world of GT5 wheel Drifting :D

I also have a couple quick questions...

Why does it seem i spin out when i give it more counter steer during a drift, i thought that was the point of countering?

Sometimes (rarely) i do get a good drift and then i try to straight'n it back out, it almost immediately spins out or switches and drifts the other way into the wall.

Comment: People who say drifting with a DS3 is just as challenging as a wheel, are liars... -_-

Any advice would be helpful, i would like this thread to be used as a good reference for other people trying to drift with a wheel. So when you post something, dont just think of me, think of all the lost newbs in the world of GT5 wheel Drifting :D

I also have a couple quick questions...

Why does it seem i spin out when i give it more counter steer during a drift, i thought that was the point of countering?

Sometimes (rarely) i do get a good drift and then i try to straight'n it back out, it almost immediately spins out or switches and drifts the other way into the wall.

Comment: People who say drifting with a DS3 is just as challenging as a wheel, are liars... -_-

For your questions, this is only from assumption. (Haven't seen you drift)

1.If your spinning out when countersteering then you're putting on too much throttle or not countersteering enough to get the car through the corner. So practice feathering the throttle and putting that little bit more countersteer on your drifts.

2.Your second question sounds like your getting snapback, this is when you release the throttle and the rear tires instantly get grip, causing the car to pretty much snap in the direction the front wheels are facing. I guess the only way to fix this is to hold down the throttle towards the end of a drift.

Hopefully I've answered a few off your problems, but most importantly keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it. :)

For your questions, this is only from assumption. (Haven't seen you drift)

1.If your spinning out when countersteering then you're putting on too much throttle or not countersteering enough to get the car through the corner. So practice feathering the throttle and putting that little bit more countersteer on your drifts.

2.Your second question sounds like your getting snapback, this is when you release the throttle and the rear tires instantly get grip, causing the car to pretty much snap in the direction the front wheels are facing. I guess the only way to fix this is to hold down the throttle towards the end of a drift.

Hopefully I've answered a few off your problems, but most importantly keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it. :)

That is exactly whats happening with the snap back, i will try what you said, Thank you! :D Im ready for PSN to come back online so i can practice there, online helped a lot when i started with a DS3.

And yet I get snapback when I have the throttle down while others don't with the throttle off? :odd:

If you think about it in reality your making good progress. Any driver can drive round a track IRL but when it comes to drifting it takes time. So keep practicing, it takes a lot of time to learn how to drift IRL so it's not going to be much different on a driving simulator. You'll get there in the end so enjoy learning as it's the most fun part of any activity.

I have quiet a few problems with drifting with the wheel myself but im trying hard to get used to the wheel. I'll just let you know that the Drift Bible may be a big help because it helped me out just a little.

5 days isn't enough yet.

keep your hands on the wheel for the quick return to centre ( avoiding crazy snap back ) don't let it slide thro hands

steer the car with your right foot, keep giving it *almost* as much countersteer as it wants (to transition you'd give it slightly more than it wants)

always think about the weight of the car moving around and your rear wheel speed vs ground speed, try to hover around the edge of grip at first.

best way to learn is pick your fav track and get good at racing it then just start powering out the exits and experiment with entrys I'd recommend scando flick at first to teach you weight transition, handbrake is easier but won't teach you as much also autum ring mini is good for beginners.

Oh a quick bit of advice thas hasnt been mentione is to just go and race, have fun an don't worry about the drifting too much. When you come to the apex of a nice turn every so often give it a stab of gas and practice holding the countersteer. Sometimes trying to do too much too fast can stunt your growth like attempting huge flicks and what not.

I'm sorry but you're both wrong, the e-brake is for the resourceful, someone who wants to be able to have as many techniques at their disposal at any given time.

Seriously.

If you have some type of experiencing handling a wheel whether it be in real life or on GT5 then this will help. Here is the simple way to learn how to control your car in a drift in 1 day.
Steps:
1. Go out and buy a 350-450 HP car
2. Go to Tokyo R246
3. Go up to the first turn hitting about 55 mph
4. Left off the gas
5. Feint left
6. Turn back right
7. Punch the gas for half a second
8. Let off everything (The wheel & pedals)
9. Watch how the wheel turns then try it all over again
10. Learn how to control the steering of the car without gas
Final Step: Use what you learned from steps 1-10 and apply gas to carry your car throughout the entire turn.

Once you follow and successfully complete these steps you can move on to different tracks and turns. Most importantly don't give up and have fun learning.

Bobalob
handbrakes are for the weak. flick it.

So you call d1gp drivers weak? They use it to extend drifts, initiate, and to slow the drifts. So if you think its for the weak, you are WRONG!

I'm sorry but you're both wrong, the e-brake is for the resourceful, someone who wants to be able to have as many techniques at their disposal at any given time.

Seriously.

You know I was being sarcastic right?

Seriously Serious Business.

You know I was being sarcastic right?

Seriously Serious Business.

Better to give straight forward information than bogus info in a sarcastic manner that is very easily misunderstood in typing. Helping people is serious if you have a heart.

For you guys looking to get better, I would say take Adavicros' advice or when PSN comes back up, come and join us in our rooms and hit up SFX_Fadam for some pointers. He is by far the best most consistent person on a DFGT I have seen on GT5 yet. He is really that damn good. His abilities on that wheel make myself on a G27 look amateur. At the end of the day it's just like anything else though, it's a matter of how bad you want it and how much time your willing to put into it.

This might help, I after watching that trying to mimic his actions I still end up facing the wrong way, oh well guess I need to give it more time.

Better to give straight forward information than bogus info in a sarcastic manner that is very easily misunderstood in typing. Helping people is serious if you have a heart.

For you guys looking to get better, I would say take Adavicros' advice or when PSN comes back up, come and join us in our rooms and hit up SFX_Fadam for some pointers. He is by far the best most consistent person on a DFGT I have seen on GT5 yet. He is really that damn good. His abilities on that wheel make myself on a G27 look amateur. At the end of the day it's just like anything else though, it's a matter of how bad you want it and how much time your willing to put into it.

Try not to build people up so high, it makes em easier to knock down. You and I both know Adam's a really good drifter but still, you know what I mean.

God forbid somebody said I was a good drifter, that would be the farthest thing from the truth. Maybe on controller, but I'm still new to the wheel. My brain would explode.

To the TS: patience, patience, patience. That's it. If you put in the time and not get all pissy about failing, you'll see progress and results insanely fast. Keep at it.

If you have some type of experiencing handling a wheel whether it be in real life or on GT5 then this will help. Here is the simple way to learn how to control your car in a drift in 1 day.
Steps:
1. Go out and buy a 350-450 HP car
2. Go to Tokyo R246
3. Go up to the first turn hitting about 55 mph
4. Left off the gas
5. Feint left
6. Turn back right
7. Punch the gas for half a second
8. Let off everything (The wheel & pedals)
9. Watch how the wheel turns then try it all over again
10. Learn how to control the steering of the car without gas
Final Step: Use what you learned from steps 1-10 and apply gas to carry your car throughout the entire turn.

Once you follow and successfully complete these steps you can move on to different tracks and turns. Most importantly don't give up and have fun learning.

Has anyone even attempted to try this??? Oh and if anyone still needs help when ps3 comes back up you can hit me up.

Hence the reply I did earlier in the thread.

How's the practice going so far HE1RO?

Back