Wheel Set-up

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lipid Sama
  • 13 comments
  • 1,029 views
Messages
7
Hi guys, I just got my Force Feedback Pro Wheel from logitech, well I was wondering, how do you guys set up the shifter? Make it to the buttons behind the whell make the gears go up and down? or the make it so when you pull the shifter down it goes down, and when u pus hit up the gears go up? how do you reccemmend I set it up? this is my first wheel.
 
At least in Prologue, the default configuration allows you to use either the buttons behind the wheel or the shifter, so in reality is up to you. With the faster cars the buttons are more straightforward but with slower cars using the stick seems more "real".
 
I know the lock to lock rotation in the DFP is 2.5 times, but how much is it in a real car from lock to lock? 5/6 times or something? They should make it like that!!
 
I am sure that you'll have plenty of rotation with your DFP 2.5 times...
 
chameleon
I know the lock to lock rotation in the DFP is 2.5 times, but how much is it in a real car from lock to lock? 5/6 times or something? They should make it like that!!

I drive for Hertz car rentals in the U.k. and after hearing about the steering lock limit on the DFP I checked out the steering lock of the cars at work. The Ford Focus, Mondeo, C-max, Fiat Punto, Stilo and Renault laguna , all have a steering lock just short of 1.5 turns in each direction. The nearest to the DFP is the Alfa romeo 156 which has a steering lock of just over 1.25 turns in each direction.

It should be noted that in normal driving I never reach the limit of the steering lock in these cars, only in manouvering and when having some reckless fun. :) lol. I hope the boss never finds out, although he probably doesn't care.

From what I've seen of the F1GPs the drivers never move the wheel more than about 0.75 of a turn in each direction.


EDIT : My own VW Golf also moves just short of 1.5 turns in each direction.
 
aha so not all cars have the same rotation... Well I suppose I have enough on the DFP's steer rotation when racing, but wouldn't it just be cool being able to park your car just as in real life? (whaha i know im crazy) I mean the greater the rotation, the more precise you can steer, however the much harder you'd have to work. Does anyone here think the DFP's rotation is enough? And does it resemble much realism as how you would steer into a corner in real life??
 
I think you'll find that most sports cars have 2.5 to 3.0 turns lock to lock (just like the wheel). My TT has 3.0. This is not very relavent though because steering can feel different even if it has the same number of turns. Prologue feels different for each car. And having just bought CMR 2005 it feels crap going back to quarter turn each way. DFP rocks!
 
Lipid Sama
Hi guys, I just got my Force Feedback Pro Wheel from logitech, well I was wondering, how do you guys set up the shifter? Make it to the buttons behind the whell make the gears go up and down? or the make it so when you pull the shifter down it goes down, and when u pus hit up the gears go up? how do you reccemmend I set it up? this is my first wheel.

I like to use the third setting on Prologue, paddles to change gear and shifter for reverse/handbrake...
 
One thing I hope that Polyphony will change when they make the game it to make the wheel "recoil", more realistic.

Try this: Take any car in prologue for a spin in 900 mode. Stop the car, turn ful lock in one direction, then accelerate to 2-5 MPH. Feel what it feels like, then let go of the wheel.... See how slow it responds? It just sort of rolls back all leisurely.

Real car: Do the same and feel the difference. The steering wheel whips around with a lot of force. At least in the first half rotation back to full lock. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Now the reason for the complaint: 1: Drifting. 2: Crashes

In drifting you rely on letting the force of the wheels on the ground slide the steering wheel through your hands to aid in countersteering, etc.

Who here has crashed in prologue? Who here has ended up ass backwards from a crash with the car sliding you trying to steer your way back onto the track? It's tough trying to figure out (in a timely manner) what direction and how far to turn the wheels to recover from the crash.

Simply put, the feedback isn't effective enough to simulate letting go of the steering wheel and the wheels AUTOMATICALLY going to center.


EDIT: And Okoj, I drive the same way, that shifter sucks as a shifter in my opinion, but does make a good E-brake.
 
Jim X
EDIT: And Okoj, I drive the same way, that shifter sucks as a shifter in my opinion, but does make a good E-brake.

But it does make changing gears a lot easier if you've got a handful of steering lock on. It's also a lot better to use as the E-brake than the button on the wheel is. :crazy:

I just wish they had a stick on each side of the wheel. One for a shifter, one for an e-brake.
 
In emergencies I find pausing the game can be helpful, it automatically centres the wheel and allows you to regain composure too! ;)
 
[QOUTE]In emergencies I find pausing the game can be helpful, it automatically centres the wheel and allows you to regain composure too![/QUOTE] oh no, thats cheating :) personally 2.5 turns is way enough. i dont see how anybody could complain, where else can you get great force feedback, stick shifter/paddle shifter, pc/ps2 connectivity and 900 degrees of wheel rotation!!! LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE! :):):)
 
Jim X
One thing I hope that Polyphony will change when they make the game it to make the wheel "recoil", more realistic.

Try this: Take any car in prologue for a spin in 900 mode. Stop the car, turn ful lock in one direction, then accelerate to 2-5 MPH. Feel what it feels like, then let go of the wheel.... See how slow it responds? It just sort of rolls back all leisurely.

Real car: Do the same and feel the difference. The steering wheel whips around with a lot of force. At least in the first half rotation back to full lock. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Now the reason for the complaint: 1: Drifting. 2: Crashes

In drifting you rely on letting the force of the wheels on the ground slide the steering wheel through your hands to aid in countersteering, etc.

Who here has crashed in prologue? Who here has ended up ass backwards from a crash with the car sliding you trying to steer your way back onto the track? It's tough trying to figure out (in a timely manner) what direction and how far to turn the wheels to recover from the crash.

Simply put, the feedback isn't effective enough to simulate letting go of the steering wheel and the wheels AUTOMATICALLY going to center.


EDIT: And Okoj, I drive the same way, that shifter sucks as a shifter in my opinion, but does make a good E-brake.

I second that!
 
Back