Wheel setup issues

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rising Sun41
  • 14 comments
  • 922 views
Messages
38
United States
The Rocky Mountains
Messages
RisingSun41
Messages
Rising Sun41
Hey guys, so I invested in the Driving Force GT wheel recently and its definitely been a positive experience but Im having issues getting a decent setup that is sturdy and comfortable. Right now Im just using a Wood TV Tray I bought at Target, but its kind of frustrating because the thing moves and shakes like none other when ever I turn the wheel with any force. It also feels very unnatural when it rumbles and I have a hard time getting my feet placed correctly due to the tray's legs being so close together. I've read a few threads about the racing-wheel stands that are made and was curious if they really are worth the $$$? The thing is I like the wheel, but the setup issues have me migrating towards my DS3 more often than not (unless Im using the X2010 :scared:). I was looking into the Fanantec Rennsport stand, does anybody have any experience with it or any similar stands that can opine on this?
 
We bought my wife a PlaySeat from Amazon.com. I already owned a Hot Seat Chassis.

Both work great. The PlaySeat is a lot more portable and it's also less expensive.
 
Dang Hood, thats a great piece of work right there :). I guess my first issue is my crappy office chair, so I ordered a bucket style race chair. Now I just need a stand.

For now just throw some weight on the tray, it should help.
 
I set mine up on a low tv stand that i cant get my feet under.. Its a piss poor set up and i sit all hunched up in my camp chair! But its rock solid and im geting good times now after around a month of use. Next week at work im goin to make my own wheel stand pro style stand out of some old metal bench frame.. Wont cost me a penny and fingers crossed will work!
 
I have the WheelStand Pro. I got it for EUR110 and i have never regreted it. Really recomend it to anybody.
If you look at a pic of it, it looks wobbly but i can confirm that its as sturdy as a rock. And i always do drifting so h have experience.
Befor that i used a coffie table and the amount of pain it gave my back was beyond speech.
Anyway, go to www.wheelstandpro.com and order one.
The shipping service is really quick, and they are very dedicated to their stand. It was out to me in one week. Their customer support is also very helpful. (was never talking to them, but thats what I've heard)
 
My one worry with a wheelstand pro is that the wheel is quite heavy and high up, looks a bit top heavy and could fall over?
 
leexr2i
My one worry with a wheelstand pro is that the wheel is quite heavy and high up, looks a bit top heavy and could fall over?

Nope. All the weight is at the bottom. And it will NEVER fall over
 
We bought my wife a PlaySeat from Amazon.com. I already owned a Hot Seat Chassis.

Both work great. The PlaySeat is a lot more portable and it's also less expensive.
Ill look into this as well, thanks!

For now just throw some weight on the tray, it should help.
Yea I noticed you have some dumbbells on yours, Ill see if that gives me a temporary fix.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031ALQ3Q/?tag=gtplanet-20

Try this. It's essentially a U shaped plank of wood that is attached to a chair with two velcro straps. It's my primary set up and so far I don't have any stability problems at all.
This actually looks like a great idea, I just have to wait and see if my new chair will have armrests that work with it.

I have the WheelStand Pro. I got it for EUR110 and i have never regreted it. Really recomend it to anybody.
If you look at a pic of it, it looks wobbly but i can confirm that its as sturdy as a rock. And i always do drifting so h have experience.
Befor that i used a coffie table and the amount of pain it gave my back was beyond speech.
Anyway, go to www.wheelstandpro.com and order one.
The shipping service is really quick, and they are very dedicated to their stand. It was out to me in one week. Their customer support is also very helpful. (was never talking to them, but thats what I've heard)

Ive been eyeing this and the Rennsport Stand as well, just not sure if I can justify the cost. Then again, it will last me a long time and I will actually be able to enjoy using my wheel.
 
Go with the wheelstand pro. It is quality and well worth the cost from my experience. It is very stable and easily adjusted to each person.

leexr2i: I have never had it fall over. The weight is balanced out very well by the weight of the base and pedals on it. Mine has been in the setup position since GT5 came out. Don't worry about that.
 
I made myself a stand out of 1 inch pvc pipe and pipe fittings and put a wood top on it. the whole thing cost less than 20 bucks and works like a champ. Got the idea when I saw some dude selling wheel stands on ebay for almost $100.00 and when i zoomed on the pick saw that it was made of pvc pipe....duh. maybe I should do the same. LOL
 
I made myself a stand out of 1 inch pvc pipe and pipe fittings and put a wood top on it. the whole thing cost less than 20 bucks and works like a champ. Got the idea when I saw some dude selling wheel stands on ebay for almost $100.00 and when i zoomed on the pick saw that it was made of pvc pipe....duh. maybe I should do the same. LOL

You should post some pictures here. Because I'm interested in copying you. :D
 
You should post some pictures here. Because I'm interested in copying you. :D

do a search for pvc pipe in the forum "steering wheels and racing cockpits" and you will find numerous ways to do it. Just pick one that would be easiest for you to build yourself. :) no pic yet but I'll tell you what I bought to build it. 2 ten foot sections of 1inch pvc pipe. a dozen each of T and elbow fittings. Had some fittings left over when i decided on what method i was gonna use. I also did NOT glue it all together until I was happy with how it felt and looked. I was gonna paint it flat black to make it easier on the eyes but my wife said don't bother....it won't look any prettier to her. LOL

Here is a link to the ebay ad that made me think "I could make one of those". http://cgi.ebay.com/Steering-Wheel-...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item53e58a78f6
 
Last edited:
Back