Wheel Stand for a Tall Racer

• Thread starter dyzir13
  • 5 comments
I am finally getting a Logitech DFP and am going to need a wheel stand. I am very impressed when looking as the custom builds, but don't trust myself to have the ability to the same without step by step instructions. I really like the Wheel Stand Pro, but am concerned about it working with my height. I am 6'5" and always have a hard time fitting in small cars, go karts, etc. I want my gaming experience to be different and don't want to settle for a stand that is too small for me.

I will use the wheel with a normal upright seat. I also need something that is easy to store and not an eye-sore (it has to be wife approved). Has anyone that is my height used the Wheel Stand Pro or have any other suggestions? T

I use the Xlerator wheel stand with me DFGT - they have a 'big boy' version which has slightly larger dimensions you may want to check out.

I built one of these and the only power tools I used were a drill and a jigsaw. I made mine a bit more neatly thanks to some advice from a mate who was a bit more building inclined. The great thing about the design is it can be easily scaled up and can be folded down for reasonably easy storage. The angle of the pedals can be adjusted by rolling up a towel and putting it under the back of them.

http://buildawheelstand.blogspot.com/

If you are interested i'll be happy to give you some (slightly) more detailed plans and a walk through on the steps i used to build it. If you do want some plans it'll help if you can measure roughly how high off the ground the clamp spot for your wheel would be.

You'll love the wheel too, I also just got a DFP and i'm sure it'll put a grin on your face.

Both Fanatecs & WSP are good products with their own minor benefits.

I think Fanatec updated slightly their own wheelstand with things like removing the big knob at the front but last time I looked they hadnt updated their website to show the changes made to the product.

One thing I would say is that the Fanatec wouldnt topple as easily if set higher and it did go much higher too.

Check out this review from Inside Sim Racing - this seat looks like it has plenty of adjustments, and plenty of room.
Review starts at 14:09

Youtube

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I'm thinking about just finding a seat that is low enough to the ground that I don't need to worry about how high the wheel stand pro can go. The experience is probably even better when your low to the ground.

Deadmeat, the wheel stand you built looks really good and not too complicated. I'm not sure if I am going to build one yet or not, but if I decide to I think I will definitely contact you for some more detailed plans.

Back