Wheel Upgrade and Kids

• Thread starter MrBlue3
  • 3 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am looking to upgrade my old wheel (Thrustmaster TMX). It has served me well but is now due an upgrade. However, I am torn between going for a direct drive wheel base, something like a Fanatec DD1 or a Simucube 2 Sport or going with the Fanatec ClubSport V2.5. I appreciate that there is a difference in price, but I have two main points for consideration as I have not experienced any other wheel other than my old TMX.

1. The first point is that I have a 10-year old and a 7-year old, who both use and enjoy my sim and this is something that I want to encourage. I know that you can turn the FFB down on a DD wheel, but will it be too strong or potentially dangerous for young kids? I saw a review on a Simagic M10 which just decided to start spinning un-controllably, which could well cause an injury. Although I appreciate that this is a new wheel base and may well still have issues.

2. To go with a DD wheel over the CSW V2.5 will cost another £1k approximately. For those who have maybe gone from a CSW to a DD, is it worth this cost and should I spend the money now or go up in stages? As I have not used either its difficult to decide.

As a guide to games, I play ACC and F1 2020.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks.

I have an F1 DD1. I have force and FFB tuned to equivalent levels as I had with the CSL elite wheel base (6 Nm capable). So, for me, I don't have any worries about somebody trying out my simulation setup and getting tangled up. However, I use GT Sport, which doesn't really jerk the wheel even when hitting a wall. At least I've never had that issue even when I was playing with high FFB (just to say that I tried it and of course, for grins). Obviously, other sim titles could well behave differently when hitting barriers.
To the next point, I don't believe the DD delivers the increased fidelity that the price would need to deliver. So, the CSW V2.5 ought to be enough (it's more powerful than the CSL that I had).

I have an F1 DD1. I have force and FFB tuned to equivalent levels as I had with the CSL elite wheel base (6 Nm capable). So, for me, I don't have any worries about somebody trying out my simulation setup and getting tangled up. However, I use GT Sport, which doesn't really jerk the wheel even when hitting a wall. At least I've never had that issue even when I was playing with high FFB (just to say that I tried it and of course, for grins). Obviously, other sim titles could well behave differently when hitting barriers.
To the next point, I don't believe the DD delivers the increased fidelity that the price would need to deliver. So, the CSW V2.5 ought to be enough (it's more powerful than the CSL that I had).

Thank you so much Rob. The cost to buy Fanatec now from Europe to UK is a little costly due to shipping charges. So there is now not that much difference between a Fanatex CSW V2.5 versus the Simplicity SW20 DD wheel. I have been looking at the Thrustmaster TS-XW wheel base as that is only £370 in the UK, but its always out of stock.

Thank you so much Rob. The cost to buy Fanatec now from Europe to UK is a little costly due to shipping charges. So there is now not that much difference between a Fanatex CSW V2.5 versus the Simplicity SW20 DD wheel. I have been looking at the Thrustmaster TS-XW wheel base as that is only £370 in the UK, but its always out of stock.
Gotta love Brexit eh?

Back