Wheel users, what are your thoughts on the game?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wildfire
  • 21 comments
  • 1,553 views
Messages
73
Canada
UK
Just wondering how you wheel users are finding the game so far, as usually just the sheer fact of owning a wheel puts you at a significant advantage hardware wise over all controllers users, regardless of skill level.

After just doing the circuit experience for Nordschleife and grabbing the gold on the lap attack, it made me remember just how different it is using a wheel in sim racing games (f1 games I used to use a LG27).

Nurburg is a difficult enough track as it is, but on a controller it's ridiculous, because the margins for error are even smaller, and it takes the tiniest mistake to **** the whole thing up,how have you guys on the wheels found the game as far as margins for error, and also taking off all the assists and still having great control over the car with more depth on the throttle, and more fine movements for steering.

Also when it comes to online racing, is it a little bit of an overload, in the sense of having to manage all the wheel and pedals, and gearing etc while simultaneously trying to battle through a group of banger racers.
 
It actually feels too easy on a wheel. I drive manual with paddle shifters, that helps and improves your times. It's really not too difficult to avoid making mistakes online depending on the track. Only type of mistakes I make are braking late which rarely occurs with the GT3-4 cars. There is no feedback from track surface or tires that I can notice. So winning a race really depends on your qualifying time, I catch up 10 spots in any position on average. I start at the back because my qualifying laps aren't registering, otherwise I'd start 5-10th place and it shouldn't be too difficult to get top 3 spot. It's still plenty fun although I wish feedback is improved. Strong street cars are more difficult to drive due to the braking being not as good.

In comparison, AC is easy to drive with a wheel but not easy to do good. My lap times will not be consistent, certain corners are very hard to perfect. You really have to time your braking and throttle and then throttle on exit or you will lose a second or two or spin out. In GT, you have to brake then maintain throttle and you can go full throttle almost out of a corner with no issues. So I get consistent lap times with GT.

AC can really put you down if you're looking to compete most of the time that won't happen. So if you're looking to win or have fun, you won't be having any. People take that game seriously and there are some really good drivers there that mostly rely on late braking and turning in while slowing down to get good lap times. They also spin out too and quit. Most of the time everyone just quits because of spinning out once, it's pretty funny.
 
Interesting, my lap time for the Gr.4 Suzuka is ok I guess, I usually start top 3-6 (53.5) , however If I managed to really hook it up I know I can get a 52.8 or52.9 for the qualifying, the only thing is I have to take traction completely off for that, which on a controller makes it so difficult not to get overzealous accelerating out of a corner and spinning.

I like the game so far, maybe it's not the greatest GT ever, but its still the game I needed right now, but as with all sims I go into it with the same caveat that once I get in a lobby with wheel users I will not be able to compete.

Partly because on a wheel, you can disable all assists and go manual with paddle shifters (like you said ) and it's still relatively easy to race with, but also because the margins for error on joysticks are so minute that inevitabley there is always a mistake made.

One thing I've noticed with this game is that they have been super strict with stepping a wheel out onto the grass... like holy ****...you put even an inch on the grass and you better get ready for a good old spin cycle.

In an unrelated topic, i really hope they change the daily races to full tracks, for 3 laps, instead of ****** small circuits for 5 laps... so there's actually more room for racing, and not just forming an orderly queue or waiting for people to punt each other off.
 
It actually feels too easy on a wheel. I drive manual with paddle shifters, that helps and improves your times. It's really not too difficult to avoid making mistakes online depending on the track. Only type of mistakes I make are braking late which rarely occurs with the GT3-4 cars. There is no feedback from track surface or tires that I can notice. So winning a race really depends on your qualifying time, I catch up 10 spots in any position on average. I start at the back because my qualifying laps aren't registering, otherwise I'd start 5-10th place and it shouldn't be too difficult to get top 3 spot. It's still plenty fun although I wish feedback is improved. Strong street cars are more difficult to drive due to the braking being not as good.

In comparison, AC is easy to drive with a wheel but not easy to do good. My lap times will not be consistent, certain corners are very hard to perfect. You really have to time your braking and throttle and then throttle on exit or you will lose a second or two or spin out. In GT, you have to brake then maintain throttle and you can go full throttle almost out of a corner with no issues. So I get consistent lap times with GT.

AC can really put you down if you're looking to compete most of the time that won't happen. So if you're looking to win or have fun, you won't be having any. People take that game seriously and there are some really good drivers there that mostly rely on late braking and turning in while slowing down to get good lap times. They also spin out too and quit. Most of the time everyone just quits because of spinning out once, it's pretty funny.

i second all of this. i just wished GTS aimed towards a proper simulator rather than arcade.

perfect game for me would be GTS package with AC physics.
 
i second all of this. i just wished GTS aimed towards a proper simulator rather than arcade.

perfect game for me would be GTS package with AC physics.

The one thing I wish is that they put some sort of hardware detection in the match making... to prevent wheel users from racing against controller users.

It would prevent wheel users inflating their wins with a clear hardware advantage, and controller users basically dealing with a **** tonne of losses before getting that glorious one win lol.
 
The one thing I wish is that they put some sort of hardware detection in the match making... to prevent wheel users from racing against controller users.

It would prevent wheel users inflating their wins with a clear hardware advantage, and controller users basically dealing with a **** tonne of losses before getting that glorious one win lol.
If you both qualify at the same speed I don't see how one piece of hardware could have an advantage over the other. The whole idea of Sport mode is to put drivers together who race similarly on the track regardless of their input device.
 
Last edited:
I love it. I actually think you can feel your car pretty well with the wheel. You just can't really feel the different surfaces on asphalt...
 
If you both qualify at the same speed I don't see how one piece of hardware could have an advantage over the other. The whole idea of Sport mode is to put drivers together who raced similarly on the track regardless of their input device.

When skill is equal, the wheel user will always have a laptime advantage of a few seconds around a full circuit such as Suzuka for example.

I'm not sure how you believe a wheel doesn't have an advantage over a controller... seen as you can literally turn off every assist, switch to manual, and be able to have much more control over the throttle and steering input than you will ever get on short triggers/joysticks on a controller.

There's a reason that the best guys in the world in every sim racing game are on wheels and not controllers.

So why would I want to race against some that has a wheel? and automatically has an advantage over me even if our skill level is equal.

If this game is about competition, then put me in with people using the same hardware with a similar skill level... It's not that hard to understand tbh.
 
When skill is equal, the wheel user will always have a laptime advantage of a few seconds around a full circuit such as Suzuka for example.

I'm not sure how you believe a wheel doesn't have an advantage over a controller... seen as you can literally turn off every assist, switch to manual, and be able to have much more control over the throttle and steering input than you will ever get on short triggers/joysticks on a controller.

There's a reason that the best guys in the world in every sim racing game are on wheels and not controllers.

So why would I want to race against some that has a wheel? and automatically has an advantage over me even if our skill level is equal.

If this game is about competition, then put me in with people using the same hardware with a similar skill level... It's not that hard to understand tbh.
A. There is no automatic advantage. I have some decent pace and I've raced against many controller users who were both as fast as me and indistinguishable from a wheel user on the track.
B. As I said, if you qualify at the same speed there is no advantage. Sport Mode should be matching you up with similarly skilled drivers regardless of input device.
 
A. There is no automatic advantage. I have some decent pace and I've raced against many controller users who were both as fast as me and indistinguishable from a wheel user on the track.
B. As I said, if you qualify at the same speed there is no advantage. Sport Mode should be matching you up with similarly skilled drivers regardless of input device.

A. I think you misunderstood,I clearly said, when Skill is EQUAL, there is an automatic advantage for a wheel user over a controller, that is a fact on every racing simulation game which has been proven hundreds of times all over youtube, there is only so fast you can go with a controller with limited throttle control and steering input...

B. That isn't the case right now anyway... All I've seen in this game so far is a wheel user blitzing the field every race... Not sure how a wheel user can qualify at the same speed when they come with an inherent advantage anyway... They'd have to be extra terrible.

Using a wheel means that you can be moderately good, and still be faster than 90% of controller users, besides maybe the great controller users that put the time in to race without assists/super low assists and manual, and also have a great racing mind anyway... Those guys are not that common.

Clearly you are a wheel user trying to defend yourself and make it seem like you need skill to be a wheel user, sorry to burst your bubble but it's always been the case that a wheel user WILL be faster than a controller user of equal skill, in every racing simulation game.

The fact that you want to try and ignore that there's an inherent advantage honestly makes me want to crack that wheel over your head right now, can't stand people that want to act like something they use, doesn't give them an advantage... Like own it, or shut the **** up
 
A. I think you misunderstood,I clearly said, when Skill is EQUAL, there is an automatic advantage for a wheel user over a controller, that is a fact on every racing simulation game which has been proven hundreds of times all over youtube, there is only so fast you can go with a controller with limited throttle control and steering input...

B. That isn't the case right now anyway... All I've seen in this game so far is a wheel user blitzing the field every race... Not sure how a wheel user can qualify at the same speed when they come with an inherent advantage anyway... They'd have to be extra terrible.

Using a wheel means that you can be moderately good, and still be faster than 90% of controller users, besides maybe the great controller users that put the time in to race without assists/super low assists and manual, and also have a great racing mind anyway... Those guys are not that common.

Clearly you are a wheel user trying to defend yourself and make it seem like you need skill to be a wheel user, sorry to burst your bubble but it's always been the case that a wheel user WILL be faster than a controller user of equal skill, in every racing simulation game.
Two words - Sport Mode

It doesn't care what your skill level is, only your lap time.
 
Interesting, my lap time for the Gr.4 Suzuka is ok I guess, I usually start top 3-6 (53.5) , however If I managed to really hook it up I know I can get a 52.8 or52.9 for the qualifying, the only thing is I have to take traction completely off for that, which on a controller makes it so difficult not to get overzealous accelerating out of a corner and spinning.

I like the game so far, maybe it's not the greatest GT ever, but its still the game I needed right now, but as with all sims I go into it with the same caveat that once I get in a lobby with wheel users I will not be able to compete.

Partly because on a wheel, you can disable all assists and go manual with paddle shifters (like you said ) and it's still relatively easy to race with, but also because the margins for error on joysticks are so minute that inevitabley there is always a mistake made.

One thing I've noticed with this game is that they have been super strict with stepping a wheel out onto the grass... like holy ****...you put even an inch on the grass and you better get ready for a good old spin cycle.

In an unrelated topic, i really hope they change the daily races to full tracks, for 3 laps, instead of ****** small circuits for 5 laps... so there's actually more room for racing, and not just forming an orderly queue or waiting for people to punt each other off.

That's better than my times with TC on in the Jag. I haven't had much time to play but noticed some cars are better than others. The advantage in the wheel is that I can avoid collisions without losing control. As well as smooth steering input. The pedals also help but my standard pedals aren't the best.

I have definitely noticed that, any slight touching of grass or those flat green surfaces and it's like I'm dragged off the track, haha. And I absolutely agree, I don't like the oval tracks and want bigger more complex ones to race on for Sport mode. Thankfully sport mode has been very clean for me so far, I'm loving it.
 
I’m a wheel user and I usually run mid-pack. Besides the fact that it is difficult making your way through the pack (and not getting plowed), starting mid/back of the pack, you are 1/8 to 1/4 of the track behind the leader from the get-go.
 
I have a T300RS, but the ffb is way too heavy right now, so while waiting for a patch, I've been driving on a DS4. Takes some practice, but I drive with TCS 0 and have set some blistering quali times with it (52.7 at Suzuka) :sly:. Just have to be really smooth with the inputs.
 
I consistently beat wheel users with my DualShock set to motion steering. I highly recommend trying it out. I use an OSW direct drive wheel on my PC sim rig. A very highend setup with incredible amounts of force feedback, yet I’m thoroughly enjoying GTS with a standard controller.
 
I'm enjoying it so far, even if I'm using my Fanatec CSR, instead of my CSW 2.0. Just like any racing game I do, it feels like second nature. I just have to work more on reference points, and hitting my line more consistently. I think I made the switch to using a wheel since GT5, and every racing game, that's not full blown arcade, I use a wheel for.

As for GT Sport, I've only done three online races, won all three, but managed to win the last two by a decent margin. The first one, was at Brands Hatch, before they changed it, so I was racing against the BMWs. I qualified P3, but P1 and P2 made mistakes throughout the race, and that's how I won. I'm still Rank E, so the skill level pool will probably be a lot greater than being higher ranked, or at least that's what I would assume.
 
Also using a CSR. I've only put about an hour or two into it so far, but it feels great IMO.
 
I'm usin a T500 and it feels good to me. Having the FFB settings set right for you makes a huge difference. If your wheel chatters during understeer, try lowering the values a bit at a time.

I think it would be great if pad users could choose to race only against other pad users.
 
This game is very much designed with DS4 users in mind. I can be just as quick with a pad as I can with a wheel. I don't see any advantage with a wheel.
 
A. I think you misunderstood,I clearly said, when Skill is EQUAL, there is an automatic advantage for a wheel user over a controller, that is a fact on every racing simulation game which has been proven hundreds of times all over youtube, there is only so fast you can go with a controller with limited throttle control and steering input...

B. That isn't the case right now anyway... All I've seen in this game so far is a wheel user blitzing the field every race... Not sure how a wheel user can qualify at the same speed when they come with an inherent advantage anyway... They'd have to be extra terrible.

Using a wheel means that you can be moderately good, and still be faster than 90% of controller users, besides maybe the great controller users that put the time in to race without assists/super low assists and manual, and also have a great racing mind anyway... Those guys are not that common.

Clearly you are a wheel user trying to defend yourself and make it seem like you need skill to be a wheel user, sorry to burst your bubble but it's always been the case that a wheel user WILL be faster than a controller user of equal skill, in every racing simulation game.

The fact that you want to try and ignore that there's an inherent advantage honestly makes me want to crack that wheel over your head right now, can't stand people that want to act like something they use, doesn't give them an advantage... Like own it, or shut the **** up

There are many GTP members that would disagree with you, I for one. I was a DS3 users for all of GT5 and 6 and made the change to a wheel for PS4.

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS IN RESPECTS TO GRAN TURISMO TITLES ONLY.

You seem to have this notion that using a pad means you would have to use assists, this is not true. Ive never used assists ever and Ive managed to be just as quick on a DS3 as I am on a wheel. The input method doesn’t give you speed its how you use the input methods that dictate how quick you are.

You clearly believe what you say, but the fundamental difference between the two input methods is that its easier to accurate and precise with a wheel. This doesn’t give you speed as your inferring, the coordination that goes into operating a wheel is easily harder than that of a pad. The skillset is totally different.

But like I said just because you use a wheel doesn’t give you an automatic advantage, there are clearly advantages to using a pad, not least the method of correcting oversteer.

If you disagree with this I would challenge you to somehow try a wheel and see how long it takes you to learn to correct an oversteer moment on a wheel.

Its down to the user where the speed advantage is, not the input method.
 
The feeling is very good with a wheel. However, there's not much of a difference in terms of pace, as for example I did 52.1with the wheel at Suzuka, and 52.3 with DS4. But it's also depends on the car / track combination as in some situations I can be quicker with the DS4. I use G29 btw :)
 
Just wondering how you wheel users are finding the game so far, as usually just the sheer fact of owning a wheel puts you at a significant advantage hardware wise over all controllers users, regardless of skill level.

After just doing the circuit experience for Nordschleife and grabbing the gold on the lap attack, it made me remember just how different it is using a wheel in sim racing games (f1 games I used to use a LG27).

Nurburg is a difficult enough track as it is, but on a controller it's ridiculous, because the margins for error are even smaller, and it takes the tiniest mistake to **** the whole thing up,how have you guys on the wheels found the game as far as margins for error, and also taking off all the assists and still having great control over the car with more depth on the throttle, and more fine movements for steering.

Also when it comes to online racing, is it a little bit of an overload, in the sense of having to manage all the wheel and pedals, and gearing etc while simultaneously trying to battle through a group of banger racers.

This isn't necessarily true. Both wheel and controller are but mere tools to get the job done. Knowing how to go fast is way more important up until the crossover point where using a wheel starts improving your lap time.
 
Back