Wheels and oil for tuning.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Razzbar
  • 24 comments
  • 1,199 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
65
I was wondering if wheels affected performance of a car, so I bought a random used car and ran a few 1000M tests. Then I bought some tRik mAgZ for it and tried again. I could see no significant change in times.

Then I changed the oyel, and times went from the 33 second range down to the 30 second range. Didn't note the horsepower diff.

I still change wheelz as a token of appreciation from time to time. Same with a wash. I do rekon it helps to pamper yore car before a race. BTW never, ever eat pork before racing. It is considered carrying pork in your car if it's in your stomach, and I hope you know that it's bad luck to carry pork in a car in many parts of the world (volcanic landscapes especially!). If you don't believe me, try eating some bacon and then immediately race at Laguna.
 
lol my bad, please delete this post ;)
 
Razzbar
I was wondering if wheels affected performance of a car, so I bought a random used car and ran a few 1000M tests. Then I bought some tRik mAgZ for it and tried again. I could see no significant change in times.

Then I changed the oyel, and times went from the 33 second range down to the 30 second range. Didn't note the horsepower diff.

I still change wheelz as a token of appreciation from time to time. Same with a wash. I do rekon it helps to pamper yore car before a race. BTW never, ever eat pork before racing. It is considered carrying pork in your car if it's in your stomach, and I hope you know that it's bad luck to carry pork in a car in many parts of the world (volcanic landscapes especially!). If you don't believe me, try eating some bacon and then immediately race at Laguna.

translation:


I was wondering if wheels affected performance of a car, so I bought a random used car and ran a few 1000M tests. Then I bought some trick mags for it and tried again. I could see no significant change in times.

Then I changed the oil, and times went from the 33 second range down to the 30 second range. Didn't note the horsepower diff.

I still change my underwear from time to time. Same with a wash. I do think it helps to pamper yourself before a race. BTW never, ever eat pork before racing. It is considered carrying pork in your car even if it's in your stomach, and I hope you know that it's bad luck to carry pork in a car in many parts of the world (kentucky & louisiana especially!). If you don't believe me, try eating some bacon and then immediately race at Laguna.


sorry, i just couldnt help myself :)
 
caution about the double post. the oil and the car wash help. but the wheel dont help at all.
 
Youre not serious? (About pork)
Wheels should change some, but I ddint expect much.
 
the wheel dont change nothing except the look (i like my Celica GT-Four RC 91 with O.Z. Racing wheels, look good :) )
 
Rookie_One
the wheel dont change nothing except the look (i like my Celica GT-Four RC 91 with O.Z. Racing wheels, look good :) )
Are you talking about tims or tires?
Tires change performence, rims dont.
 
Rogue Ssv
Youre not serious? (About pork)
Wheels should change some, but I ddint expect much.

OK, I'll tell you what I know. When I was a kid, we used to drive to Arco, Idaho several times a year. Arco is a god-forsaken place if there ever was one, but it's where my parents grew up. It's also the first city in the world to have nuclear powered electricity. It's located near a nuclear energy research site and the largest concentration of nuclear reactors in the world. The reason the government chose that area is because it's in a volcanic wasteland. The road thru the lava beds is pretty treacherous because if you go off, it's not a soft landing. The roadside used to be littered with wrecks that happened thru the years. It's black as pitch at night. It's a scary road.

My parents told me of an Indian legend that said it was bad luck to carry bacon on that road.

Fast forward many years, and I am living on the Big Island of Hawaii, working as a driver for one of the observatories on Mauna Kea. Part of the reason I got the job is that I know how to drive in snow. Yes, there's snow in Hawaii up at that elevation. The observatories are at nearly 14,000 ft. The road to the observatories from Hilo passes thru an area of recent lava flows that look almost exactly like those on the way to Arco. An absolutely amazing similarity. My boss was an old timer born and raised in the islands, and he told us that the Hawaiians have a kapu against carrying pork across lava flows -- IOW, it's bad luck.

So there you have it. Two unrelated native legends about carrying pork across lava flows. Go figure. Maybe just as strange is that the word for a patch of old growth forest surrounded by lava beds is called a "kipuka" in the Hawaiian language, and it somehow came to be used for the exact same thing in Idaho, except it's pronounced different.

I'd really like to see that road on the Big Island modeled in GT. It's called the "saddle road" because it crosses the saddle between two gigantic mountains (much, much bigger than any mountains in North America -- really). The road starts at sea level and twists and winds up thru rain forest, cloud forest... then there's a turnoff you can take where the quality of paving improves for about 10 miles of steep, fast climbing, followed by another 10 miles of dirt switchbacks. You can expect snow on the last 7 miles or so any time of the year. The first part of the saddle road was built during WWII, and the story is that it was intentionally made all twisty and windy to prevent military convoys from being strafed. I think it's just because of the terrain. It's an awesome road, and car rental companies tell you not to drive it.

I guess this could be a new thread of "roads I'd like to see modeled".

... since you asked ... :)
 
Aha....
interesting....
(WTF?!)
If I had a lava bed and ate meat/had pork Id test that.
 
1. A car wash does nothing for performance, only for looks.

2. An oil change increases the HP of your car, hence the faster laptime.

3. Changing the rims is only for looks, not performance.

4. IT'S A VIDEO GAME. Eating pork before racing in GT4 will only fill your stomach, not sabotage your racing.
 
I'd say it was bad luck for the pig?
 
I am knowledgable about pork and its effects upon the human digestive system. First , pork is high in fat, therefore the body must use great energy to digest, this energy is taken from existing glucose reserves- which the brain relies upon for energy to process information. If the body is trying to digest pork, then the brain becomes slower to respond due to lack of available energy stores. Hence the slower lap times because of reduced brain-eye-hand-response time.
 
mmm pork
i just had a double beef and bacon burger with mushrooms :)
 
the car wash does nothing on look duck, after all the car dont become dirty but it help reduce the draft (after some races, the draft augment because of "invisible dirt" ;) )
 
UPLATE
I am knowledgable about pork and its effects upon the human digestive system. First , pork is high in fat, therefore the body must use great energy to digest, this energy is taken from existing glucose reserves- which the brain relies upon for energy to process information. If the body is trying to digest pork, then the brain becomes slower to respond due to lack of available energy stores. Hence the slower lap times because of reduced brain-eye-hand-response time.

Make it simpler:

You Play Good - Division 1, 2 or 3
You Eat
Blood goes from brain to Stomach
You Play Goof - Laps incompatible with OLR.
 
Rookie_One
the car wash does nothing on look duck, after all the car dont become dirty but it help reduce the draft (after some races, the draft augment because of "invisible dirt" ;) )

Washing might affect top speed when you're in the 300MPH range. A little. In theory, anyhow. But I'll NEVER wash my Dodge Laredo. Which does pretty good in the ice and dirt, BTW.

BTW, I looked at the HP of my Minolta, and it's down to 950 or something. Maybe it needs an oil change after 4 hrs at the ring?
 
CJ350
I'd say it was bad luck for the pig?

I'd prefer to think it's the pig's karma more than luck.

Early German race cars used Westphalia hams for tires.
 
Guys, if you're going to go off on huge rambling tangents, please take it to the Rumble Strip. Thanks.
 
Rookie_One
caution about the double post. the oil and the car wash help. but the wheel dont help at all.
If washing your car (in the game) helps, it certainly has not with my game. I have never washed a single car, and I've put a lot of miles on several of my cars and as long as they have not lost HP, using the same set-up, they turn the same lap times as they did when they were new and "clean".

Dirty oil, and old engines are a different matter, and they do effect performance in the game.

I suppose if anyone was interested the bst way to test this is to take a new rally car, change the oil and run enough laps on the high-speed Test Track to get a solid average lap time. Then run it on any of the dirt tracks for a few laps (doesn't take much to get dirty). Change the oil once more and go back to the Test Track and run a few laps. Unless there is a big difference between laps times the answer is that dirty cars in the game don't impact lap times.

Of course, even if there was a slight difference, the fact that you can drive a car for thousands of miles on the road courses and never get it dirty like you can on a rally course would suggest that it is irrelevant... unless you happen to have a filthy rally car that you plan on using in Like The Wind... which in that case is also irrelevant as you're likely going to get dirty stuck in the dust the LMPs leave you behind in. ;)
 
Master_Yoda
Are you talking about tims or tires?
Tires change performence, rims dont.

In regard to GT4 you are quite right, the real world is a totally different matter. Changing wheels can have a major effect on the unsprung mass of the car, resulting in big changes in the cars behaviour.

However this thread has a very short time to get back on track or its going to get closed rather rapidly.

To be honest its been a while since I have seen a combination of abuse of the English language combined with OT ranbling posts.

Regards

Scaff
 
The scrolling text at the bottom of the Wash screen in GT3 said that dirty cars were slightly less aerodynamic than clean ones, and would lose a small amount of top speed. I haven't tested this (or even really looked for the same message) in GT4.
 
Honestly, what the heck is the point of this thread? I came here to see what this guy had in mind about oil and wheels, and he's talking about carrying pork over lava and nuclear reactors? Someone needs to colse this thread.
 
why close it , its fun just dont read it if you dont like it
 
senner
why close it , its fun just dont read it if you dont like it
No its a series of totally off-topic and unrelated comments that adds no benefit to the topic or site.

GT Planets AUP clearly states the following (which all members agree to when they join)

GT Planet AUP
You will not post messages that are clearly outside of the stated topic of any Forums nor disrupt a forum by deliberately posting repeated irrelevant messages or copies of identical messages (also known as "flooding"). Spam - wasteful comments and posts, as judged by our moderators, will be removed and the member warned or banned.

As such this thread is now closed and those who have been involved in the quite simply rediculous posts in this thread should consider themselves warned.

Scaf
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back