Wheelstand Renovation - Respray or Strip to Bare Steel?

• Thread starter Juris
  • 4 comments
Ireland
Ireland
LexJuris
Its time to renovate my trusty old 2013 GT Omega Wheelstand Classic. Its factory black paint job is battered and bruised and is an eyesore in parts. While stripping off some of the worst effected areas like the sides of the wheelbase mounting plate (see pic) I thought the bare steel looked pretty good.

Have any of you guys ever stripped your wheelstands down like this and if so do you have any pics. Its a big job and would love to see the possible results before going all the way.

Thinking of doing a brushed effect. Was also wondering what I could use to protect the finish from rusting afterwards. If anyone has any ideas I's love to hear.

So repaint in black or go with bare brushed steel do you reckon? Cheers.
20220420_131406-960x1024.jpg

Its time to renovate my trusty old 2013 GT Omega Wheelstand Classic. Its factory black paint job is battered and bruised and is an eyesore in parts. While stripping off some of the worst effected areas like the sides of the wheelbase mounting plate (see pic) I thought the bare steel looked pretty good.

Have any of you guys ever stripped your wheelstands down like this and if so do you have any pics. Its a big job and would love to see the possible results before going all the way.

Thinking of doing a brushed effect. Was also wondering what I could use to protect the finish from rusting afterwards. If anyone has any ideas I's love to hear.

So repaint in black or go with bare brushed steel do you reckon? Cheers.
View attachment 1141455
If you go bare brushed metal you could spray it with clear shellac. I would go with several thin coats to keep it from having runs, you also could rub with steel wool to get a real glassy look if that's what your after.

If you go bare brushed metal you could spray it with clear shellac. I would go with several thin coats to keep it from having runs, you also could rub with steel wool to get a real glassy look if that's what your after.
Thanks for the reply and info. I actually ended up starting the process of respraying it before you responded. Was in a rush to finally get the rig back up and running.

Etch primer is just finished drying now. If I screw it up (and that is a likelihood knowing my past DIY record) I will definitely strip it to bare and use the clear shellac and steel wool method you recommended. Cheers.

If it is plain steel it will need painting or it will simply rust.
Sorry didn't see your comment. Yep I was thinking that. I reckon the shellac suggested by opelgt1969 should help to act as a sealer to prevent rusting. Cheers.

Back