When are races scheduled??

• Thread starter katpeeler
  • 16 comments
80710A06
katpeeler
I have been kicking around the idea of racing on Iracing for a while now..and since Forza5 let me down a little makes me think more and more about PC racing....But before I start puting money into my PC I have a couple questions...Please keep in mind I want to Road Race and not Oval

1-Mainly when and how are races scheduled??..I can dedicate a few hours a week to a race but not a specific time....Meaning can I catch a "ranked" race at any given time......
2-How detailed is the tuning??...Is it more or less complicated that Forza..I have becaome a OK tuner but I know it can take alot of time up to do it right...Or can I purchase tunes??
3-Same with paint jobs...is this something that can be purchased with "game credits" or do you have to use real money.....

If I can get guidance on these three questions might lean me towards trying it out...I have NEVER PC gamed before but Im sure there are alot of installs and updates that has to be done...maybe Im wrong..This worries/scares me

1. All Official race series races are held every hour or close to that. So there is always races going on no matter what, participation just varies in different time slots obviously but with rookie series your bound to get a full grid alot of the time.
2. Some cars have more tuning then others, if its a fixed series obviously you cant change much but getting up to the racecars like the Ruf Track or the Riley there is alot of things you can do but you have to keep it within regulation specs like the car isnt allowed to be super low etc.
3. You can make your very own skin if you choose whether that be in iracings own paint shop or if you download the car template and completely paint it yourself with photoshop or something or alternatively you could go to the forums and download a skin that someone has kindly shared.

1. Depends what you race, when you first start out you'll have to race Mazda Cup in the MX-5, those races go off every hour at the top of the hour (1:00, 2:00, 3:00 and so on) but I recommend practicing first, you'll just frustrate yourself and others if you don't, it's nothing like Forza.

2. It puts Forza and GT to shame, much more complicated and you need an understanding of what each setting does and how it'll effect the car. You can't purchase "tunes" as there is no currency like in Forza or GT but you can download setups from other players that share them.

3. Nope, painting is free. iRacing has its own basic paint function, but most people use TradingPaints and Photoshop for some really awesome results. Paints can be downloaded just like setups.

http://www.tradingpaints.com/

Thanx for the respons...got some piggy back questions..
1-I have read enought about your Safty Rating to get to another Class..But are there "lobby rooms" to see who and how many are playing in one certian room..is there qualifying times or do just practice all by yourself
2-Im assuming to get these tunes/paints you have to be on the official Iracing forums/website??
3-Are there alot of updates/paches that come out for Iracing that has to be downloaded alot??

1. The servers that are available to join show you the number of people currently in that session or you can just practice by yourself on a test session. There is also qualifying sessions where you do the 20 min or so qualifying session and it takes your best time and whenever you join a race in that series it uses that to put you on the grid but you can also re qualify to get a better time throughout the week.
2. No there are sites out there that have setups/paint schemes
3. As far as im aware Iracing releases a new Build every quarter in which you have to re-download but its not that much. Obviously when you join multiclass races later on you dont have to buy both cars but iracing will make you download the one you dont own so it will show up in the races.

Last edited:
Thanx again..unfortunatly Im at work with limited internet access and cant get to the Iracing site to look around....But If Im not mistaken my "montly subscripton" will get me the program to download to my computer to race....then if I want I will have to buy tracks and cars seperately right??..SO in order for me to try it out I will probably have an initial investment of about $30??

The biggest aspect for iRacing is "Race craft" in other words as Mac mentioned, practice and lots of it. If you make a mistake you get an "incident" they add up towards your IR. I too strictly road race, I race the Riley DP in the Grand AM Series. You will start off in the MX-5 car, in practice or hot lapping by yourself you should be able to do 20 laps without an incident. Most incidents that I occur are caused by someone else's bad driving, (lol) Alright, I still make mistakes every now and that causes an incident all by myself.

Once you feel comfortable with your own ability then it's time to race. Rookie division is hell for the most part, lots of crashes, lots of idiot racers with no concept of how a race should work. You do not want to touch another car or have another car touch you, you get an incident for either BTW. The first thing to learn is to race incident free or as little as possible, get that mentality first. Then as you improve the speed will come. There are drivers like Mac that have natural ability and are fun to race with, like other sports, racing with faster drivers does help with one's "race craft"

You want to make the top split for the most part, making the lower splits is like demolition derby at times. Top split = better racers, lower split = bad racers (not always though) I would recommend a 3 month trial and if you like it keep at it until the next Black Friday special for $49 per year. iRacing is the best online racer out there by a long ways.

I think you will look for a 3 month package that best fits your road racing career. You can buy any car or track and practice with anyone, you can not race all cars until you gain the proper license in which you will gradually get, sometimes folks get them rather quickly. When purchasing cars and tracks buy them in lots of "3's" and/or "6's" for maximum discounts, that is for example, 3 cars and 3 tracks. Or 6 cars, 6 tracks.

SO even if there is a little bumping (trading paint) you get flagged and with enough you will be stuck in your lower class??

I own a Fanatec CSR setup with pedals..Im sure this all will work with Iracing???

I like pretty things...is the graphics up there??...Iv seen some video but everything looks a little "grey"....when I get home tonight Im going to try to find a good looking video...or if you have something of yours I can watch would be good too if you want to drop the link

Light contact like hardly bumping or just scraping wont actually hurt your Sr but it shows up when your racing, little harder contact yields a 2x and a wreck yields a 4x. Ive never really cared about graphics but they look nice to me, iracing is more on the physics sides of things imo.

Here's the schedule for this season so you can see how it's laid out.

Attachments

• 2014 Season 1 Schedule.pdf
    130.8 KB · Views: 17
Acording with the schedule, race days are on Tuesdays...Is this the case on ALL races??....

Also was able to watch some videos and Im assuming the only view is in car view (no bumber/hood view)....

There were some videos of in car view with the camera angle in the passanger seat with just the steering wheel turning with no hands on it..Whats going on with that???

Acording with the schedule, race days are on Tuesdays...Is this the case on ALL races??....

Also was able to watch some videos and Im assuming the only view is in car view (no bumber/hood view)....

There were some videos of in car view with the camera angle in the passanger seat with just the steering wheel turning with no hands on it..Whats going on with that???

Race days are every day of the week. The only view is cockpit. That's a replay camera angle and the no arms/hands is a graphic option.

Last edited:

I see where you are coming from on the Tuesdays. Race weeks start on Tuesdays so the date shown signifies the date that particular round starts. With each round lasting a week and a season lasting 12 weeks.

Graphically, iRacing is what I would describe as clinical. It doesn't have the fancy HDR effects of other games but everything looks accurate and right. Not to mention as things update it gets better, they recently added dirt build up on the car which looks good and the tracks which get updated and new tracks look stunning.

I think I may be sold for a trail period at least...I dont know much about computers so was wondering if I would have issues playing this game on my PC....

Untitled
by katpeeler, on Flickr

I know there is a thread dedicated for this so pardon me....If a person has a better PC than me will they have and advantage..(LAG)...I dont know what size Video Card I have but I do know it has a HDMI output...maybe Hi Def

It should be ok to run. Your probably not going to run triple-screens or highest quality settings, but it should work fine.

Would be better to see what graphics card you have.

I'd probably invest in some more RAM at some point.

Back