When are you going to fix the bugs? Poll- does GT6 crash for you?

• Thread starter Stratman
  • 18 comments

Does GT6 crash or hang causing PS3 system restarts for you?

• YES

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • NEVER

Votes: 22 56.4%

• Total voters

Stratman

(Banned)
Australia
WA
Turbo_Tim_Aust
The title said it.

Game crashes every time I play it. System hangs, 3 beep restarts, reports of malfunctions sent to Sony.

You (PD) should be embarrassed and ashamed at the state of this game right now. Current 600pp seasonal challenge has just had 2 3 beep restarts in a row. :banghead:

Or give me my money back. 6 months should be more than long enough to do the right thing by the people who help pay for your lives I think.

How you are even allowed to release games that do this to consoles is beyond me.:grumpy:

Here is a poll in case I am the only one.

I have had a few crashes, but they have been pretty far between each other. The first thing to look at is the age of your system. The older systems REALLY have a hard time with 6.

The other question is, is your updated data corrupt? Have you updated wired or wirelesly? (I update wirelesly, but some have had problems with that.)

I hope you can work it out. This is a good game to play. (Or, at least, is getting better. ;) )

I have had a few crashes, but they have been pretty far between each other. The first thing to look at is the age of your system. The older systems REALLY have a hard time with 6.

The other question is, is your updated data corrupt? Have you updated wired or wirelesly? (I update wirelesly, but some have had problems with that.)

I hope you can work it out. This is a good game to play. (Or, at least, is getting better. ;) )
I am curious as to why updating by wireless or wired would make a difference, is having the ps3 wired not as good as wireless?

It isn't so much the system as the router. It can drop packets, which corrupts the file, which dominoes....

Removing the one part of the process can help prevent this. Doesn't always make it perfect, but it is commonly FAR better.

I use wired, wireless was inconsistent and often lagged me up in the middle of online races.

Virtually everyone I have played online with complains of these system hangs/crashes, so honestly I didn't expect any NEVER votes.

Perhaps it is the PS3 itself- I would not have believed that even 8 people have never had it dump its beans. So maybe the console is past its best before date.

Console is about 4 years old, 250Gig slim- I will somehow try a new PS3/PS4 to see if that makes a difference.

I use a 120 GB, first gen of the slim, and I don't have common failures. It DOES happen, though, sometimes at odd times. (Had it crash closing a MOVIE of all things yesterday....)

Especially at **BATHURST** online! Kaz just stop playing boy racer and fix this rubbish! Or hand it over to someone who can.

Well I'll soon find out. New PS3, new G27. Only 4 hours until data transfer is complete, then I can see if that was the problem.

I see the count is 8/9, so maybe more people have old ps3s, if the new one fixes it that is.

My PS3 bought summer 08 has only crashed once while it was closing out "Flower" but my nephew was button mashing the controller!

Bathurst definitely makes it chug along but so far no crashes.

No crash here, but I had two screen freezes so far. Don't know if you can consider freezing as crashing. You do need to restart the console so the cure is the same in both situations. Not sure what to vote.

I couldn't really vote on the poll. GT6 has "crashed" twice since I installed it, one of those when an install failed, the other because I was impatient waiting for a race to load. I don't consider those to be evidence of a systemic issue.

My fatty has been and continues to be flawless with every game...except GT6...on Bathurst. Wanted to try it again last night to test my G27 for clipping on the curbs. Sound started cutting out completely and the game eventually froze without me ever leaving the pits. I voted Yes.

The title said it.

Game crashes every time I play it. System hangs, 3 beep restarts, reports of malfunctions sent to Sony.

You (PD) should be embarrassed and ashamed at the state of this game right now. Current 600pp seasonal challenge has just had 2 3 beep restarts in a row. :banghead:

Or give me my money back. 6 months should be more than long enough to do the right thing by the people who help pay for your lives I think.

How you are even allowed to release games that do this to consoles is beyond me.:grumpy:

Here is a poll in case I am the only one.
I had this problem with multiple games, my system was very old, a first gen backwards compatible, I ended having to get a new system, now gt6 and other games work just fine.

I too have had crashes with GT6. My crashes have only been at the main menu though. It's happened about 4 times and is extremely annoying. Also, I really do feel like this problem is fixable. People claim that "the older PS3's probably can't handle the game." However, it happens to every PS3 model system; plus, I have a friend with a launch release PS3 and his GT6 game works fine, no crashes or nothing! I have an 80gb fatty and mine continues to freeze. But seeing people that have my model PS3 or older with no problems gives me hope that it can be fixed.

Manasseh257NSX,

Your post confirms (to me) that the problems people are experiencing are due in the end to their own specific PS3s and the way in which they use them, rather than a problem of the PS3 itself or of GTx.

As I noted, in terms of "functional stability", I have experienced almost flawless operation of the PS3 and GT6. I've owned the PS3 since GT5 launched and can only cite three fails, the other (aside from the two I note in a post above) being in GT5 and due to either a game load or update (it wasn't while driving). If this was an endemic issue in either the PS3 or in GT6, then I should have seen far more failures than I have.

The major difference, I suspect, between me and many gamers suffering problems is that I have only two games installed onto my system, GT5 and GT6. The GT5 disk remained in place in the DVD from the time I installed GT5 until I installed GT6, and the GT6 disk has been in the DVD since late November of last year.. Additionally, I keep my PS3 in a location that allows good crossflow, I keep it free of dust, and I don't use it as a general internet portal or server.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but I'd recommend that you consider thorough maintenance of your PS3 and PS3 "operating system" (I wonder, does the PS3 have defrag capabilities?) . I suspect that the lion's share of crashes that some users are experiencing are due to their own behaviors. Now, if Sony hasn't provided a defragmentation utility for the harddrive or other maintenance tools to prevent unnecessary system destabilization due to clutter, then that's something gamers might want to complain loudly to Sony about.

Manasseh257NSX,

Your post confirms (to me) that the problems people are experiencing are due in the end to their own specific PS3s and the way in which they use them, rather than a problem of the PS3 itself or of GTx.

As I noted, in terms of "functional stability", I have experienced almost flawless operation of the PS3 and GT6. I've owned the PS3 since GT5 launched and can only cite three fails, the other (aside from the two I note in a post above) being in GT5 and due to either a game load or update (it wasn't while driving). If this was an endemic issue in either the PS3 or in GT6, then I should have seen far more failures than I have.

The major difference, I suspect, between me and many gamers suffering problems is that I have only two games installed onto my system, GT5 and GT6. The GT5 disk remained in place in the DVD from the time I installed GT5 until I installed GT6, and the GT6 disk has been in the DVD since late November of last year.. Additionally, I keep my PS3 in a location that allows good crossflow, I keep it free of dust, and I don't use it as a general internet portal or server.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but I'd recommend that you consider thorough maintenance of your PS3 and PS3 "operating system" (I wonder, does the PS3 have defrag capabilities?) . I suspect that the lion's share of crashes that some users are experiencing are due to their own behaviors. Now, if Sony hasn't provided a defragmentation utility for the harddrive or other maintenance tools to prevent unnecessary system destabilization due to clutter, then that's something gamers might want to complain loudly to Sony about.
They have defrag cababilities as I have been reading. So I will try to defrag my PS3 and see if it works. Also I keep my PS3 well ventilated and dust free, so I know that's not the problem. I hope defragging my PS3 fixes the problem. Thanks for the advice man.!

np Manasseh257NSX. :)

More unrequested blather from me on maintenance (I'll stop after this post. I'm really going a bit off topic)

With respect to the hardware, and to cooling in particular, I'd also remind you (if you aren't already aware) that the thermal compound used to thermally "connect" the processor to its heatsink is a known problem in Sony Playstations (at leas the "fatties" anyway), (or at least it appears to be a known problem... I've seen dozens and dozens and dozens of posts over the past ~3 years indicating that it dries out, far in advance of thermal paste used in even semi-decent personal computers for instance) so if you have the skills, you may want to replace the goo. If you don't have those mad skills, you may want to ask someone you know who does to help you or consider having it professionally serviced. I've heard from gamer types who've done the maintenance that "Arctic Blue" is a good choice, but someone else may have a better choice to share.

The point is that even when well-ventilated, if the heat in the processor can't be transferred effectively into the heat sink from the processor, it can't be wicked away by convective and/or forced-air cooling.

heat flow:
Processor => thermal paste => heat sink => internal air handler => vent => dispelled to external area

Additionally, the cooling fan may also be dirty or worn, as is the case with my computer fan (I am presently augmenting my tower pc with a real fan until I can find time to break away from work and get out to a (insert computer shop name) and buy a replacement. It spins, and it looks clean, but it spins slowly, so it's not really doing its job. If the fan, unpowered, doesn't spin freely (and I mean freely, as in, with almost no resistance) when you use your finger to spin the blades, there's something not so right about it.

As with the thermal paste, if the air can't be conveyed outside the case, then the heat can't be effectively dissipated from the heat sink, so even with a good thermal mount, the heat sink will become saturated and again the processor will not be properly cooled.

Secondly, DVDs do wear out, and when they begin to show signs of wear, they can start to miss bits of data on the disks here and there. Some omissions are so minor a user never knows it happened, but the wrong bit can spell disaster. I'm not a PC tech and and just don't have time anymore to know "everything", so I'm not sure if there's a tool (hard and/or soft) one can use to perform testing on a DVD drive, but if there is, and if you have access, it might be something for you to consider as well (since you're having issues)

Finally, if you do happen to be an "avid gamer" type who swaps disks out often, make sure to handle your GT disk like a baby. No grape jelly, no big oily thumb prints, no scratches, no shoving disk into the slot like they and the drive were made of indestructable unobtanium, or leaving the disk lying on a table out of its case, etc.

regards,
xi

Back