When can you buy race tires, add adjustable gearing/transmission?

• Thread starter randys
  • 8 comments
I am used to Gran Turismo and you easily change tires, add fully adjustable transmissions to change gearing, etc.

No, you cant use everything on every race, but they are there to buy and have and use depending on what you are doing.

I dont see how, for instance, I can buy and use race tires on any of my cars, but to be specific I have and love my Nissan GT-R 12 Forza Edition. I cant, or can I, use it with race tires, for instance? When, where?

I noticed my Formula one car wont go over 218 mph I think it is, if I cant buy a transmission that will allow me to gear it so it goes to a higher speed, what is that all about?

Thanks.

Last edited:
You can use whatever you like in Free Play, so long as you don’t restrict the race’s car selection to a specific Division.

In Forza Driver’s Cup and most Multiplayer events, each car has a certain set of upgrade limits that you cannot break.

I am used to Gran Turismo and you easily change tires, add fully adjustable transmissions to change gearing, etc.

No, you cant use everything on every race, but they are there to buy and have and use depending on what you are doing.

I dont see how, for instance, I can buy and use race tires on any of my cars, but to be specific I have and love my Nissan GT-R 12 Forza Edition. I cant, or can I, use it with race tires, for instance? When, where?

I noticed my Formula one car wont go over 218 mph I think it is, if I cant buy a transmission that will allow me to gear it so it goes to a higher speed, what is that all about?

Thanks.
The difference between GT and Forza is that the tires used affects the performance of the car, so they factor that into the Performance Index of your vehicle. If you're building cars towards the homologation, than you have to use the tires they say to use, otherwise you'll be disqualified from using that vehicle in the class. You can very well build a car however you like in freeplay, like @PJTierney mentioned, and to change it before the race you will have to scroll over to the next tab and press the "tuning and customization" tab and go modify the car.

Most cars that are homologated will not need/use race tires. When in the customization menu, all Race Transmissions will allow you to change gearing.

The difference between GT and Forza is that the tires used affects the performance of the car, so they factor that into the Performance Index of your vehicle. If you're building cars towards the homologation, than you have to use the tires they say to use, otherwise you'll be disqualified from using that vehicle in the class. You can very well build a car however you like in freeplay, like @PJTierney mentioned, and to change it before the race you will have to scroll over to the next tab and press the "tuning and customization" tab and go modify the car.

Most cars that are homologated will not need/use race tires. When in the customization menu, all Race Transmissions will allow you to change gearing.
Thanks and so in Free Play you pick a "division" of cars to race in, then you use a car that you own so you can earn money otherwise if you rent one you dont earn money, I have learned that much.

Where in "Free Play" can I race for money (or not I guess, but need money) with any given car that you can tune with different tires, etc.? I thought you had to choose a category like Sport GT (I am not home, dont have menu in front of me)? When you do that dont you then also have the limiting issue as to what you can upgrade? I am missing something here when in Free Play, I guess.

Thanks to PJ too.

Thanks and so in Free Play you pick a "division" of cars to race in, then you use a car that you own so you can earn money otherwise if you rent one you dont earn money, I have learned that much.

Where in "Free Play" can I race for money (or not I guess, but need money) with any given car that you can tune with different tires, etc.? I thought you had to choose a category like Sport GT (I am not home, dont have menu in front of me)? When you do that dont you then also have the limiting issue as to what you can upgrade? I am missing something here when in Free Play, I guess.

Thanks to PJ too.
Thats correct, renting cars doesn't give you credits or XP.

Any thing you race in freeplay wiill net you credits, as long as you aren't renting. If you want to modify a car however you want, and want to use it in freeplay, you'll have to remove the Division and select Any. If you want to build any car to, lets say, S-800 class, then thats when you can use whatever you want(if youre trying to race in a specific division, you wont be able to use the tires you want, and you'll be limited by the homologation), but when you go to freeplay you're going to have to edit the race restrictions by going to track selection screen. From there you can set the PI limit for the AI so that way they're also s800, and you can use your car with race tires against them.

Thats correct, renting cars doesn't give you credits or XP.

Any thing you race in freeplay wiill net you credits, as long as you aren't renting. If you want to modify a car however you want, and want to use it in freeplay, you'll have to remove the Division and select Any. If you want to build any car to, lets say, S-800 class, then thats when you can use whatever you want(if youre trying to race in a specific division, you wont be able to use the tires you want, and you'll be limited by the homologation), but when you go to freeplay you're going to have to edit the race restrictions by going to track selection screen. From there you can set the PI limit for the AI so that way they're also s800, and you can use your car with race tires against them.

Sounds simple, cant wait to get home and try. Thanks.

I will admit, I miss GT. I had PS3 and GT6, I guess I need to buy a PS4 and get Sport, play both games I guess, Forza and GT.

Sounds simple, cant wait to get home and try. Thanks.

I will admit, I miss GT. I had PS3 and GT6, I guess I need to buy a PS4 and get Sport, play both games I guess, Forza and GT.
You came in at a time when the class system got a complete workover. The way it worked in the past wouldn't have required all these setting changes because you were able to build a car however you liked, and only had to worry about the Class only.

The difference between GT and Forza is that the tires used affects the performance of the car, so they factor that into the Performance Index of your vehicle. If you're building cars towards the homologation, than you have to use the tires they say to use, otherwise you'll be disqualified from using that vehicle in the class.

Personally I would be OK with the next Forza game adopting GT's approach to tires with them not effecting the PI and having restrictions on what compound is allowed for a race.

Personally I would be OK with the next Forza game adopting GT's approach to tires with them not effecting the PI and having restrictions on what compound is allowed for a race.
I wouldn't, as tires will drastically change a vehicle, just like in GT, and I never understood why they did it that way. Every single time you make, on every single track, on every car used gets it's time recorded to the leaderboard. It levels the playing field, and I much prefer it that way.

Back