When in doubt...

Part 1 (again)
While you were out...

So if anyone remembers, I had a 1988 Honda Accord SE-i back some time, which proved an unmitigated failure. Besides the one Midfield victory, the tired old Accord couldn't pull off anything else, and out of embarrassment, I dropped off the map. The resulting twist of fate, though, I considered nothing less than miraculous. Here's what happened (There's more this time, promise).

I have a neighbor, whom we shall call Mr. Duncan (because that's how I've known him my whole life). Back when, Mr. Duncan was a GM employee from Oshawa, and decided to buy a Chevelle SS back in '69. He oversaw every detail of the car from stamping to finishing, made sure everything was perfect, and kept the car locked in his garage for all of forty years. Last count, this thing had 3km on the odometer, and a total of 17 minutes engine running time.

I was 8 years old when we moved here, I still remember the first day; while my family unpacked, I was in the front yard with my bike when I saw it. It was jet black, with a cream roof and white stripes. The hood was propped up, and there he was. He saw me staring, smiled, waved me over, and asked "Wanna learn how this thing works?" It became ritual every Friday and Saturday evening, until university happened.

Part 1.5
Reuse, Recycle

I was visiting home for treading week, but it took me a while to figure it out. When I asked for Mr. Duncan, his wife told me he passed away while I was studying. She told me to wait at the door, left and came back, and handed me the keys to the Chevelle. "He left this for you...take care of it."

Moral dilemma: Take it or leave it?

Take it...even though that would be the obvious answer.

EDIT: Noticed the pictures. 👍 At least it beats your Accord story there! I couldn't see the pictures earlier, maybe the site those photos were hosted on was blocked by my schools Internet service provider.

Last edited:
Leave it, and buy yourself a Honda Beat! Or be daring, and go up to a Mazda Autozam AZ-1... Although that could be a bit lairy :lol:. Nah, take the car.

Or you could take it, and win many races in honor of Mr Duncan!!

Afterwards selling the rights to such a feel good story to Disney...

Part 2
Who Just Said Honda Beat?

So the 2010 Winter games are over, Vancouver is finally empty again. Anyone who knows where Vancouver is might know why I'm here; Vancouver is the import capital of Canada...next to Halifax, but nobody does EDM, so let's move on. We arrived two days early before pickup, in my friend's Tacoma. Being bored, we decided to hit the trails for a bit. Plus side; best drifting of my life.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

On the minus side, I now owe him a new front bumper.

Two days later, I'm sitting in an office. Ship's arrived, they're still unloading the cars. Much like being at the doctor's, it's turning out to be really slow, when finally...

"...McRoberts, 1984 Toyota Sprinter Trueno, inbound from Tokyo..."

The guy next to me gets up, "that's mine," with this smug little grin.

"...Wong, 2004 Ford Falcon GT, inbound from Melbourne. Those called please proceed to the registration desk."

"Lovely, that's mine. You said Corolla?"

Part 2.5
Welcome to Vancouver, Thank You for Leaving

"You realize your vehicle doesn't meet the 15-year age requirement, yes?"

"Correct."

"I'm afraid you're going to have to send it back, or put an irreparable brand to the title."

"Give it the brand, I'll take care of the wreck."

Of course, the title only means I can't register the car, what I decide to do with the remains is entirely up to me. And guess what I'm going to do with that wreck? (Surprise, surprise) This is just about gearhead Nirvana; a mint condition Chevelle SS, and now 389hp of pure, Australian thunder. What to do first? Can you say supercharger?

A supercharger? I gotta say it's cheaper than turbocharging and NA tuning, but the sound...it sounds like a child whining because you won't buy them a chocolate bar/packet of crisps (or chips, as you across the Atlantic call them)/can of Coke.

Back