When/where is rally shown on US TV?

Demolisher_1
I really want to watch rally racing on TV sometime, but I have no clue when they race and if/when it's show on American TV.

Anyone mind explaining?

Discovery HD Theater did a WRC highlight show last year, no word if that will continue. As for why it isn't shown much, it's terrible to watch on TV so the ratings are rather low. Much like drag racing it's something you have to be at to fully appreciate it.

Discovery HD Theater did a WRC highlight show last year, no word if that will continue. As for why it isn't shown much, it's terrible to watch on TV so the ratings are rather low. Much like drag racing it's something you have to be at to fully appreciate it.

Dang, what about online?

Ever since NASCAR bought speed network its very hard to find rally racing on tv. I watched it when you could get once a week episodes on speed around 10pm at night they showed the FIA WRC Championships. Cant find now and they dont show the US Rally Championships on TV its a shame really, i love rally racing

Basically the only racing that ever gets any airtime inthe us is NASCAR. I actually got to see a dtm race on speed the other day and thought I was hallucinating.

I think part of the problem, is there was some rule change a few years ago where almost every team quit. The rule is supposed to go away in the near future and the teams will return.

I'm fairly certain this is a major reason it's not on t.v..

ESPN have it in the UK this year with what sounds like pretty expansive coverage. Perhaps ESPN US have it also.

The cut it to highlights last year? They did the full 2009 season (albeit a bit late) when I had Dish that year. Shame.

ESPN have it in the UK this year with what sounds like pretty expansive coverage. Perhaps ESPN US have it also.

Nope. ESPN here doesn't really do any motorsport. They only do sports involving balls, pucks, and feet.

Does any channel anywhere show WRC live? Or is it all just highlights like what we get here?

I really do wish we got better WRC coverage. Rallying is a sport that I would love to get into, but there is a severe lack of coverage here in the states.

I believe you will only get highlights. I don't think that USA has a big enough crowd to bring it back to TV live. They did a few years back but now I have seen either Nascar or Football. ( I seen Formula D on ESPN acouple of times). Summer X-Games are coming up and I hope that they will have their rally section.

Nope. ESPN here doesn't really do any motorsport. They only do sports involving balls, pucks, and feet.

Really? They show NASCAR and NHRA Drag racing on my end and have recently announced a deal with the ALMS for Live Qualifying and race coverage on ESPN3.com and delayed coverage on ESPN 2

Does any channel anywhere show WRC live? Or is it all just highlights like what we get here?

Only Highlights on HD Theater.

Basically the only racing that ever gets any airtime inthe us is NASCAR. I actually got to see a dtm race on speed the other day and thought I was hallucinating.

Does Formula one not count? I recall seeing it live every round (well, everytime its on Speed).

I would say the Speed Network would cover this but I couldn't tell you since it's a premium channel for me and I don't pay extra for premium channels.

They have something called Speed 2 where you can watch all the other Motorsports Live, but you have to pay some fee every month.

I just checked wikipedia on 2011 WRC, and apparently the rule changes have all but eliminated Subaru and Mitsubishi from WRC. 1.6L engines are now the new standard, so 2.0L are out. This effectively kills the Evo and Impreza from competing.

Ah well, guess I'm a Citroën fan now.

Don't they have a subscription based viewing on the WRC website?

I just checked wikipedia on 2011 WRC, and apparently the rule changes have all but eliminated Subaru and Mitsubishi from WRC. 1.6L engines are now the new standard, so 2.0L are out. This effectively kills the Evo and Impreza from competing.

Why did they do that? I loved watching Subaru in the WRC. Damn them.

I do miss watching the WRC. I remember when I use to have DirecTV and SPEED was showing WRC every Sunday late at night. I never missed a week of watching that stuff. I wish there was a way to watch it online or some station like ESPN would start covering it. Damnit.

Subaru and Mitsubishi have been out of the WRC for a while now..while privateers could run the cars, they weren't being developed.
This not so much due to rule changes, but just a general decline in the WRC, which is part blame on economics and part blame on the organisors (not the FIA per se, more North One management).

2011 rule changes could in fact tempt Subaru and others back in, but not for a while because of the costs of developing new cars and engines. IRC is still more value for money right now.

I've been trying my best to find any information on US coverage of WRC 2011, and I don't think it's happening. Speed definitely isn't doing it anytime soon. I keep hoping it'll show up on ESPN3, BBCA, or perhaps some premium/independent cable channel, but now that the season's already started I think that hope is waning.

For now all I've found is some videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/wrc . The coverage isn't live, but it's something.

I think the ratings are low because not everyone has Discovery HD.

As far as I know, D-HD is the only channel in the USA with a highlight show.

Edit: HERE is the schedule. Although it says "2010 Schedule" It matches the first two races on the Official WRC calendar, unless they are the same as last year...

I know this is grave digging but this forum is sort of a grave anyway.

But Blangadanger mentioned torrents- I live in the USA and that's basically how I keep up on it. I hate downloading them and finding them but that's the only way that you're going to find it in the US unless you have satellite and get international channels or something.

Discovery HD.......

http://dhd.discovery.com/tv/world-rally-championship/about.html

WRC on Discovery HD
Sunday, April 3rd
2011 WRC Sweden (Rally World, Preview) @ 10:30am
2011 WRC Sweden Day 1 @ 11:30am
2011 WRC Sweden Day 2 @ 12pm
2011 WRC Sweden Day 3 @ 12:30pm
2011 WRC Sweden (Power Stage/Event) @ 1pm
2011 WRC Sweden Access All Areas Review @ 2pm

Sunday, April 17th
2011 WRC Mexico (Rally World, Preview) @ 10:30am
2011 WRC Mexico Day 1 @ 11:30am
2011 WRC Mexico Day 2 @ 12pm
2011 WRC Mexico Day 3 @ 12:30pm
2011 WRC Mexico (Power Stage/Event) @ 1pm
2011 WRC Mexico Access All Areas Review @ 2pm

Sunday, May 1st
2011 WRC Portugal (Rally World, Preview) @ 10:30am
2011 WRC Portugal Day 1 @ 11:30am
2011 WRC Portugal Day 2 @ 12pm
2011 WRC Portugal Day 3 @ 12:30pm
2011 WRC Portugal (Power Stage/Event) @ 1pm
2011 WRC Portugal Access All Areas Review @ 2pm

Sunday, May 15th
2011 WRC Jordan (Rally World, Preview) @ 10:30am
2011 WRC Jordan Day 1 @ 11:30am
2011 WRC Jordan Day 2 @ 12pm
2011 WRC Jordan Day 3 @ 12:30pm
2011 WRC Jordan (Power Stage/Event) @ 1pm
2011 WRC Jordan Access All Areas Review @ 2pm

Sunday, May 29th
2011 WRC Italy (Rally World, Preview) @ 10:30am
2011 WRC Italy Day 1 @ 11:30am
2011 WRC Italy Day 2 @ 12pm
2011 WRC Italy Day 3 @ 12:30pm
2011 WRC Italy (Power Stage/Event) @ 1pm
2011 WRC Italy Access All Areas Review @ 2pm

Sunday, June 12th
2011 WRC Argentina (Rally World, Preview) @ 10:30am
2011 WRC Argentina Day 1 @ 11:30am
2011 WRC Argentina Day 2 @ 12pm
2011 WRC Argentina Day 3 @ 12:30pm
2011 WRC Argentina (Power Stage/Event) @ 1pm
2011 WRC Argentina Access All Areas Review @ 2pm

Sunday, June 26th
2011 WRC Greece (Rally World, Preview) @ 10:30am
2011 WRC Greece Day 1 @ 11:30am
2011 WRC Greece Day 2 @ 12pm
2011 WRC Greece Day 3 @ 12:30pm
2011 WRC Greece (Power Stage/Event) @ 1pm
2011 WRC Greece Access All Areas Review @ 2pm

Sunday, July 10th
2011 WRC Finland (Rally World, Preview) @ 10am
2011 WRC Finland Day 1 @ 11am
2011 WRC Finland Day 2 @ 11:30am
2011 WRC Finland (Power Stage/Event) @ 12pm
2011 WRC Finland Access All Areas Review @ 1pm

Sunday, July 24th
2011 WRC Germany (Rally World, Preview) @ 10:30am
2011 WRC Germany Day 1 @ 11:30am
2011 WRC Germany Day 2 @ 12pm
2011 WRC Germany Day 3 @ 12:30pm
2011 WRC Germany (Power Stage/Event) @ 1pm
2011 WRC Germany Access All Areas Review @ 2pm

Sunday, August 7th
2011 WRC Australia (Rally World, Preview) @ 10:30am
2011 WRC Australia Day 1 @ 11:30am
2011 WRC Australia Day 2 @ 12pm
2011 WRC Australia Day 3 @ 12:30pm
2011 WRC Australia (Power Stage/Event) @ 1pm
2011 WRC Australia Access All Areas Review @ 2pm

Sunday, August 21st
2011 WRC France (Rally World, Preview) @ 10:30am
2011 WRC France Day 1 @ 11:30am
2011 WRC France Day 2 @ 12pm
2011 WRC France Day 3 @ 12:30pm
2011 WRC France (Power Stage/Event) @ 1pm
2011 WRC France Access All Areas Review @ 2pm

Sunday, September 4th
2011 WRC Spain (Rally World, Preview) @ 10:30am
2011 WRC Spain Day 1 @ 11:30am
2011 WRC Spain Day 2 @ 12pm
2011 WRC Spain Day 3 @ 12:30pm
2011 WRC Spain (Power Stage/Event) @ 1pm
2011 WRC Spain Access All Areas Review @ 2pm

Sunday, September 18th
2011 WRC Great Britain (Rally World, Preview) @ 10:30am
2011 WRC Great Britain Day 1 @ 11:30am
2011 WRC Great Britain Day 2 @ 12pm
2011 WRC Great Britain Day 3 @ 12:30pm
2011 WRC Great Britain (Power Stage/Event) @ 1pm
2011 WRC Great Britain Access All Areas Review @ 2pm

They're on a delayed schedule, since they are just highlight shows. Not really that big a deal (to me at least). WRC has been on Discovery HD since last year I know for sure, maybe longer.

If you're not set on super-high quality, youtube works fine. The rally highlight shows are posted up within a few hours of being aired on TV, and all the powerstages are up in full. The most reliable person I've found is Antystenes1, he has everything up including the preview shows. A link to his rally mexico coverage is here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Antystenes1#p/c/0A53AFF99B67C379 Hope this helps! :)

I hate to bump this thread, but are they still showing rally coverage? I just now saw this and checked my local listings, tvguide.com and DHD's own website and there is no WRC shows listed on Jun 26, even though they have a WRC section on the site updated for 2011. I know it's still a week out but did they scrap it or is it just not showing up and they still show it? Would love to finally catch some coverage in HD.

If you're not set on super-high quality, youtube works fine. The rally highlight shows are posted up within a few hours of being aired on TV, and all the powerstages are up in full. The most reliable person I've found is Antystenes1, he has everything up including the preview shows. A link to his rally mexico coverage is here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Antystenes1#p/c/0A53AFF99B67C379 Hope this helps! :)

Btw, looks like he's not uploading coverage anymore, courtesy of North One.

I hate to bump this thread, but are they still showing rally coverage? I just now saw this and checked my local listings, tvguide.com and DHD's own website and there is no WRC shows listed on Jun 26, even though they have a WRC section on the site updated for 2011. I know it's still a week out but did they scrap it or is it just not showing up and they still show it? Would love to finally catch some coverage in HD.

In case anyone was wondering (doesn't look like it), the answer to my question is "no". Unless it is my region or they have the incorrect dates, there is/was no WRC footage on DHDT. So there goes that...:(

It was either on Versus or ESPN 2 that was airing a WRC event Last night. Tanner Foust was in it so I guess it was somewhat important.

It was either on Versus or ESPN 2 that was airing a WRC event Last night. Tanner Foust was in it so I guess it was somewhat important.

If Foust was in it, then it wasn't WRC. I think he did some Rallycross stuff lately, maybe that was it.

Back