Where are the new features?

• Thread starter queleuleu
  • 27 comments
France
France
It's cool to see new cars and tracks but what about new features?! GTSport feels like a Prologue because of the track/car lists and its features.
For example, where are the clubs from GT6? http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/manual/#!/community/club
It could be anything new from photomode to tuning or even UI options (the GTSport app could be used to display the UI in race). I understand they want to keep as many new features as possible for GT7.
It's not simply a matter of cars and tracks. Ten new cars won't change the game, a new feature could do wonders.

My favorite features from GT6:

Screen Tearing
Weird lighting systems
Awful cockpit lighting
Literally 4 photo travel areas
The Sierra Time rally
Skid Recovery Force
The Netcode
Quick Match
The Sauber C9/basically every car's sound
The menus and how slow they were
Standard cars
The literal PS2 track ports
How half the framerate decided to leave when dynamic anything was active
Paint chip system
The Moon Missions
The Servers
The 500 car garage system
The stockyard
The PP system
The racecar classes
The "community page" which took 80 years to do anything on
The Clubs nobody really used

Before GT League came out, it really did feel like a multiplayer-oriented Prologue to GT7. Along with the Prologue-style Mission Challenge mode, you couldn't, and still can't, select the music you want to hear. Just like in GT5 Prologue.

Now that they're slowly expanding the game every month, I really think they're going to turn it into a proper GT7. Probably with a massive 2.0 update.

My favorite features from GT6:

Screen Tearing
Weird lighting systems
Awful cockpit lighting
Literally 4 photo travel areas
The Sierra Time rally
Skid Recovery Force
The Netcode
Quick Match
The Sauber C9/basically every car's sound
The menus and how slow they were
Standard cars
The literal PS2 track ports
How half the framerate decided to leave when dynamic anything was active
Paint chip system
The Moon Missions
The Servers
The 500 car garage system
The stockyard
The PP system
The racecar classes
The "community page" which took 80 years to do anything on
The Clubs nobody really used
"GT6 is a complete game. GT Sport feels like a Prologue."

"GT6 is a complete game. GT Sport feels like a Prologue."
Don't forget how course maker was stuck in development hell for two years and then came out as an app completely separate from the game without any of the grand promises we heard from the start

At this point I would take 'literal PS2 track ports' into GT Sport... if they were done as well as Midfield 246 Special Stage 7 Deep Forest Grand Valley Nordwand etc. in GT6

Half of the tracks you mentioned aren’t ports, and SSR7 and Nordwand aren’t even PS2 tracks

Yeah, I've always thought there are 3 different track modelling types going on in GT6...

The ones built from ground up, the ones from GT4/5 but with descent re rendering/filters added here and there, then the only ever slightly improved versions. So I think there are 3 archives they dig from when building the tracks.

So, that would mean there are actually only 3 new tracks built from the ground up in GT6... Bathurst, Big Willow, Ascari...... Silverstone, Streets of Willow and Matterhorn are all built using old archived ps2 "enhanced" graphics...Have you ever noticed how smooth the first 3 I mentioned are, and how good the lighting is on them and even the depth of field effect?....Then noticed how typical and flickery the "new" other ones are and how average the lighting is on them. Streets of Willow for example is definitely using the older archives and lighting from Laguna Seca imo, compared to Big Willow's smoothly textured rendering, and Silvertstone is definitely using Grand Valley Speedway lighting, textures and rendering (enhanced PS2 textures)

So Matterhorn, Streets of Willow, Silverstone etc are actually all built using the ps2 archives but with the extra filtering and enhancments added...

Then right at the bottom you have the ps2 track texture archive. The ones with only slight texture filtering added to them(to stop grass from dancing etc) and lots of fazing overlays to hide the low res textures.. so the low res textures like the small cliff faces on Trail Mountain etc, which are just a blur when you stop and look at them. They did that so the low res textures would composite with the rest of the higher res textures they did bother to redo.

So SSR7 is built from SS5 ps2 track archives etc

Last edited:
It's cool to see new cars and tracks but what about new features?! GTSport feels like a Prologue because of the track/car lists and its features.
For example, where are the clubs from GT6? http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/manual/#!/community/club
It could be anything new from photomode to tuning or even UI options (the GTSport app could be used to display the UI in race). I understand they want to keep as many new features as possible for GT7.
It's not simply a matter of cars and tracks. Ten new cars won't change the game, a new feature could do wonders.

Are the FiA championships not enough? That is a massive feature

Are the FiA championships not enough? That is a massive feature
Not for those who play offline only and/or who aren't good enough to compete. Like me. I'm really not that good to handle online enduros like the FIA races. =/

That age is over. I mean I used to do something like 10 laps of say Spa in Forza 4... I think even 20 laps on Silverstone in Forza 3 as a normal event but that sort of thing isnt happening in 2018 as a normal gameplay element.

It's a shame anything over 15 minutes is an endurance race.

I know not everyone has all the time in the world to spare but actual endurance racing is hard to come by.
I know I don't speak for everyone, but for me, I kinda don't have a lot of mental strength to do a non-pausable online race that's over 15 minutes. Chalk that up to me being disabled, I guess.

Actually, I dunno. Maybe I should try an FIA race again when it starts up soon.

It's a shame anything over 15 minutes is an endurance race.

I know not everyone has all the time in the world to spare but actual endurance racing is hard to come by.

That age is over. I mean I used to do something like 10 laps of say Spa in Forza 4... I think even 20 laps on Silverstone in Forza 3 as a normal event but that sort of thing isnt happening in 2018 as a normal gameplay element.
Considering the lengthy races I've done in the past, GT Sport races are sprints for me. :lol:

I'm not sure I could do that type of length again but I would think a weekly Race D Endurance would be a nice addition.

So is the livery editor not a new function? Or the whole discovery section? This is the best GT game yet. (i've played all games since day one)

Im glad they have slimmed down on the gimmicks and have decided to concentrate on the racing instead. Heres to GTS2 coming out and GT7 never rearing it's ugly head!

Considering the lengthy races I've done in the past, GT Sport races are sprints for me. :lol:

I'm not sure I could do that type of length again but I would think a weekly Race D Endurance would be a nice addition.

Man that would be so good. Endurances on GV:tup:

Rain, snow, tickets...but maybe they're all stuck in development hell and we'll see them in 2019.

Some of OPs complaints are valid enough and he's been met with hostility here...But to be fair we had a lot of thread like his in this forums.

And I wouldn't rank this game as the best in the series yet, but for personal reasons.

Don't forget how course maker was stuck in development hell for two years and then came out as an app completely separate from the game without any of the grand promises we heard from the start

Wich are/were the grand promises about the course maker they did?

IR

Wich are/were the grand promises about the course maker they did?

IR
How you could make any track you wanted out of the city of Ronda, how you could use GPS to recreate your driving route in the course maker, how the editing area would be massive, this changed from over 100km2 to 50 then less and less everytime we asked kaz until it was "I dunno"

Im glad they have slimmed down on the gimmicks and have decided to concentrate on the racing instead. Heres to GTS2 coming out and GT7 never rearing it's ugly head!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Kaz has already said this won't be the case. But, he did say that "Sport" in the future will be more like a mode that's part of a broader game, rather than there being a stand-alone "GT Sport 2" in the future. So stay tuned. My guess is that it won't be on the PS4 - I think the next Playstation will have enough processing power for stuff that we couldn't get in GTS due to hardware constraints, like a dynamic day/night cycle. And that's before god knows what else the "PS5" will be able to render and calculate for Kaz and his auteur vision, whatever it may be.

Rain, snow, tickets...but maybe they're all stuck in development hell and we'll see them in 2019.

I mean, the ticket system was only discovered via a leak, much like Gr.A. As for rain/snow, I have a good feeling it'll be around at some point, given that there are still options for the respective tires. I wonder if we'll get snow courses, like Chamonix, which could be where the snow tires come in? Or dirt tires unavailable from the drop-down menu, indicating you're meant to pick the snow tires for what would otherwise be a tarmac-based race? Honestly, I'd be surprised if they put in rain/snow at all, given that I recall hearing that GTS lacked dynamic weather due to hardware constraints... Maybe they just needed a bit more time after the game's launch to figure it out?

So is the livery editor not a new function? Or the whole discovery section? This is the best GT game yet. (i've played all games since day one)

If they had concentrated on the racing, we would've had a Sport mode that was fleshed out from the start, basic, common sense features like being able to see your friends' time trial scores, and a racecraft driving school instead of a couple of sportsmanship videos. Instead they spent god knows how many engineering hours on a very impressive, full-featured Scapes mode that has nothing to do with racing. I like Scapes mode, but when I look at GT Sport by its features, I can only conclude that the online racing part of GT Sport was a secondary focus for PD.

I think the full effect of Sport mode will take when FIA season took off. Also, live tournament like GT World Tour for example is what makes GTS shine. As other features I think PD being cautious to keep their current title not being shoddy as GT6 where they try to put them all but in the end the game suffer in terms of performance. Not that GT6 is a bad game though, but in terms of improvement is not as big as what GTS had in my opinion. Just simply quantity of cars and tracks that being plus side for GT6 from what I have seen. That's what I thought anyway.

How you could make any track you wanted out of the city of Ronda, how you could use GPS to recreate your driving route in the course maker, how the editing area would be massive, this changed from over 100km2 to 50 then less and less everytime we asked kaz until it was "I dunno"

you're right :bowdown: , now I remember ...

Thanks 👍

IR

Back