Where are the rules online?PS4 

• Thread starter Tekku
  • 26 comments
Sweden
Umeå
I've been playing online for the most of my time with Project Cars and I'm starting to get really frustrated about bad player behavior and the games inability to deliver proper penalties. I mean are there even any rules apart from the slowdown when you cut corners?

Players are ramming me, blocking me aggressively, pushing me off the track and nothing happens to them. When I spin around in frustration I see them just drive away like nothing has happened and then I'm at the back of the field again.

I'm so pissed that this is the case with most online racing games and I wished that Project Cars would be somewhat different. But it seems like there's barely any initiative at all to try to correct these horrible experiences. I haven't even seen cars go invisible if they change direction.

Other than that I also dislike that the server host can change the setup of a race seconds before it starts, and then lock everything down. Makes it hard to think about a strategy and adjust to the new conditions.

That would be one of the big reasons that I like to set up lobbies with collisions turned off when I played Forza. I really think that all games should include that option for online lobbies. GT5 had it at the end but for some reason they have not put it into GT6. Forza has had it in 2 3 and 4

In racing 2nd place is 1st loser, so win at all costs :sly:
I'm joking of course, but you're right online racing can be a minefield, but when it goes right it's fantastic. Probably your best bet is to join an online racing league or group that organise friendly races, here is a sub forum that has a number of leagues and groups that are starting up on PCars https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/categories/pcars-online-racing.373/
Hopefully here you'll find more enjoyable races online.

Last edited:
That would be one of the big reasons that I like to set up lobbies with collisions turned off when I played Forza. I really think that all games should include that option for online lobbies. GT5 had it at the end but for some reason they have not put it into GT6. Forza has had it in 2 3 and 4

Collisions completely turned off? How does that work?

In racing 2nd place is 1st loser, so win at all costs :sly:
I'm joking of course, you're right online racing can be a minefield, but when it goes right it it's fantastic. probably your best bet is to join an online racing league or group that organise friendly races, here is a sub forum that has a number of leagues and groups that are starting up on PCars https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/categories/pcars-online-racing.373/
Hopefully here you'll find more enjoyable races online.

Yeah you're right, thanks for the tip. I just wish there were more penalties so that you couldn't get away with deliberately crashing into someone. But maybe it's hard for the game to calculate each incident. Sometimes it's not the players fault ofc.

Collisions completely turned off? How does that work?
It basically turns other cars into ghosts as you get close to them. This of course prevents blocking and drafting but most importantly stops other drivers from using you as a brake or guardrail and of course stops them from being able to drive the wrong way and hit you head on though it can still be disruptive. It also helps in cases where there is lag causing cars to jump around.

Basically it is a trade off, you loose blocking and drafting and gain the ability to drive without fear of hitting someone or being hit. Back in Forza 2 we did this a lot online in public lobbies and almost always had a full room of decent drivers. Those who were more into dirty driving and crashing people would usually leave right away once they saw they could not crash anyone, often before the first lap was over they would be gone. The good drivers would generally stick around and come back in the future.

All in all I think it is a very good option to have and really hope they include it. Some of my friends will not even consider driving in a public online lobby if they are subject to being crashed by anyone who wants to do so.

Currently I would say that full damage is the best way to penalize them but that is also going to penalize the victim.

I, too, was completely blown away by the poor driving online. In a game that I expected to be dominated by diehards, it was eye opening to see how many people simply can't drive. But, I believe looking back GT5 was the same way (although GT5 is a much lower skill level of driver on average...I thought anyways) where turn 1 of every online race is a crash fest. I believe that early on, people are still learning the game, the cars, we're all driving with essentially non-tunes, people are struggling to get the game to 'feel' right with all this FFB drama, and the game has a steep learning curve, and for many casual racers like myself, they don't know the track. If the track wasn't in GT5/6 then I don't know it, and I'm guessing every corner. Granted, I have the courtesy to go to the back of the pack at the start when I know I'm on a course I'm not familiar with, but many people aren't like that. My #1 issue with the game right now, is that I'm still driving like I would in GT5/6. The physics are so different, the tracks are different too. I mean, I spent hours last night driving Laguna Seca, and it's night and day difference to the GT6 version.

I just think there's going to be a longer and steeper learning curve for people to adapt to this game.
Plus, as time goes on, the weaker drivers will filter out. The players from less realistic gaming backgrounds will migrate back to their 'fun' games when PCars' novelty of 'new' wears off.

Another huge issue is the inability to kick people out of rooms. Lack of dedicated hosts, etc.
There are currently zero consequences, no accountability or responsibility to being a good driver.
I was hosting a room last night, and for 3 races in a row, a guy who wasn't even at his PS4 anymore kept getting included in every race. So at every start there's a 10 car pile up, as people all slam into 1 guys car who's just sitting idle at the starting grid. And then hope you're lucky enough his car rolled to the side as you come by for lap 2. There was nothing I could do, other than ask people to vote-kick, but we all know how that goes.

And lastly... the contact on track, which leads to the inability to control your car... surely doesn't help. Bumper to bumper and you're locked in the direction you're going until you separate. Touch doors? Locked together until you bounced off a wall hard enough to come unattached. This is the #1 issue with the game for me right now.

Having said that though, I am impressed with how smooth online has been so far. GT5/6 servers had some major lag and connection issues, but PCars with a 16 car field has been working fine. That's really nice to see so early.

I think you guys need patience! It will settle down once the game is a few months out.

Question: is there a driverrating so people can see what kind of racers you have?

Ive not played online racers for a couple of years until last week, but the one thing i haven't missed is the age old "punted-onto-the-grass-from-behind-but-still-receive-a-corner-cutting-penalty".

I can see why people run collisions off but personally I don't enjoy that as much as it's effectively hot lapping with ghosts, not racing.

Saying that some people just don't know/can't drive these cars yet let alone race them!

I've only joined a couple of public lobbies and on the whole they haven't been too bad, but I've generally stuck with people I've added from the PSN PCars thread and it's normally been them and there friends so it's pretty clean.

I would suggest adding a load of those guys and as been mentioned post in the clubs thread and you should have a much more enjoyable experience.

I wonder what happened to the Online Performance and Reputation feature?.

Your Driver Network Profile tracks many stats relating to your Experience, Focus, and Affinity. But it also tracks your Online Performance and Reputation...
  • The number of races entered vs the number completed
  • Breakdown of placement in those races
  • Pole positions achieved in online qualifying sessions
  • Average finishing position and average qualifying position
  • The number of races where you incurred no penalties
  • And the number of races where you were disqualified

All this information is then used to ensure you find players of similar skill and conduct. Continually collide with other drivers and you'll slowly make acquaintances with others of similar destructive tendencies. Drive with good sportsmanlike conduct and you'll be enjoying the company of other refined opponents.

So play fair, be successful, and greatness awaits.

Rules online seem to be
- no brakes allowed on the first corner
- stop a faster car overtaking you no matter what it takes, even if you're being lapped
- quit if you're last after the first corner
- quit if the race is longer than 3 laps
- it doesn't matter how bad your internet is
- WIN AT ALL COSTS

I've been playing online for the most of my time with Project Cars and I'm starting to get really frustrated about bad player behavior and the games inability to deliver proper penalties. I mean are there even any rules apart from the slowdown when you cut corners?

Players are ramming me, blocking me aggressively, pushing me off the track and nothing happens to them. When I spin around in frustration I see them just drive away like nothing has happened and then I'm at the back of the field again.

I'm so pissed that this is the case with most online racing games and I wished that Project Cars would be somewhat different. But it seems like there's barely any initiative at all to try to correct these horrible experiences. I haven't even seen cars go invisible if they change direction.

Other than that I also dislike that the server host can change the setup of a race seconds before it starts, and then lock everything down. Makes it hard to think about a strategy and adjust to the new conditions.

All comments relate to PS4.

Online in PCARS is a complete fiasco! This is one thing GT6 got pretty right and SMS should jump on a pS3 and have a look at how the lobbies are set up. Of course then improve them with more functionality but you get the idea.

I too expected Pcars to attract the "gentleman racer" and the idiots would stick with GT6 and NFS etc but we were al wrong there eh?

What I don't like about online:
Bad driving
Host can't kick people
No messaging to warn people (as with GT6)
No free practice before race
Can't change car once entered
People going through run off areas and no getting penalised
Being told I have fasted lap/sector time when obviously I don't
Not being able to see the fastest lap time
Lag when people join or leave lobby
Not being able to make it a wheel only lobby (no hand controllers)
Not able to set new classes/rules without having to start a new lobby
Not able to run mixed classes and be able to performance match (restrict weight/hp as with GT6)
Getting a corner cutting penalty because I had a drive through penalty (jumped start)
Last but not least, the lobbies just do not feel "friendly". I think this is because there is little or no communication.

What I do like about online:

(sounds of Crickets chirping in the background)

I should add Offline is great and I do enjoy it but online is really, really, really bad. I am trialling this game and there are a bout 15 of my GT6 friends that are waiting for me to get back to them an tell them whether or not they need to spend the $1,000-$1,500 to migrate across to Pcars. Quite frankly, at this point in time I going to tell them to wait, at least until the first PS4 patch and then re-evaluate it.

Your Driver Network Profile tracks many stats relating to your Experience, Focus, and Affinity. But it also tracks your Online Performance and Reputation

All this information is then used to ensure you find players of similar skill and conduct. Continually collide with other drivers and you'll slowly make acquaintances with others of similar destructive tendencies. Drive with good sportsmanlike conduct and you'll be enjoying the company of other refined opponents.

Sounds familiar :sly::
The all-new driver profile is the ultimate extension of the true driver’s experience. This system gives each player a unique persona based on a player’s driving skill and style - aggressive or precise. Driver profile impacts how a player unlocks cars, overall career progression and online matchmaking. In Need for Speed SHIFT, how you drive is who you are behind the wheel.
http://www.ea.com/need-for-speed-shift

All comments relate to PS4.

Online in PCARS is a complete fiasco! This is one thing GT6 got pretty right and SMS should jump on a pS3 and have a look at how the lobbies are set up. Of course then improve them with more functionality but you get the idea.

I too expected Pcars to attract the "gentleman racer" and the idiots would stick with GT6 and NFS etc but we were al wrong there eh?

What I don't like about online:
Bad driving
Host can't kick people
No messaging to warn people (as with GT6)
No free practice before race
Can't change car once entered
People going through run off areas and no getting penalised
Being told I have fasted lap/sector time when obviously I don't
Not being able to see the fastest lap time
Lag when people join or leave lobby
Not being able to make it a wheel only lobby (no hand controllers)
Not able to set new classes/rules without having to start a new lobby
Not able to run mixed classes and be able to performance match (restrict weight/hp as with GT6)
Getting a corner cutting penalty because I had a drive through penalty (jumped start)
Last but not least, the lobbies just do not feel "friendly". I think this is because there is little or no communication.

What I do like about online:

(sounds of Crickets chirping in the background)

I should add Offline is great and I do enjoy it but online is really, really, really bad. I am trialling this game and there are a bout 15 of my GT6 friends that are waiting for me to get back to them an tell them whether or not they need to spend the $1,000-$1,500 to migrate across to Pcars. Quite frankly, at this point in time I going to tell them to wait, at least until the first PS4 patch and then re-evaluate it.

Completely agree with your lobby comments but thought I'd add spectator mode.

Join a lobby that has already started and you just have to sit there, being able to watch the race like GT5/6 means you can check out driver behaviour before you decide to join the next race/leave the lobby should you want too.

Another useful tool missing.

Completely agree with your lobby comments but thought I'd add spectator mode.

Join a lobby that has already started and you just have to sit there, being able to watch the race like GT5/6 means you can check out driver behaviour before you decide to join the next race/leave the lobby should you want too.

Another useful tool missing.

I made a similar comment about a spectator mode last night and a friend said he was able to watch from the pits after missing the start. Can't confirm but maybe something to look for when you're next online.

On public lobbies. I found the conduct similar to GT5 and GT6, good lobbies spoiled by the behaviour of 2 or 3 people. It may get better but I'll be sticking to private lobbies.

I made a similar comment about a spectator mode last night and a friend said he was able to watch from the pits after missing the start. Can't confirm but maybe something to look for when you're next online.

On public lobbies. I found the conduct similar to GT5 and GT6, good lobbies spoiled by the behaviour of 2 or 3 people. It may get better but I'll be sticking to private lobbies.

Is he PC?

You can view if you make it into the session, I blew an engine and from the Pit box I was able to watch.

Just cant do that from the lobby part on console from what I can see

Is he PC?

You can view if you make it into the session, I blew an engine and from the Pit box I was able to watch.

Just cant do that from the lobby part on console from what I can see

PS4. I assumed he chose car and went to settings.

The UI is anything but intuitive.

I think it is nearly always like that in public lobbies in all racing games, especially at release.
Generally, it improves with time as we get rid of the worst gamers but public multiplayer remain a post apocalyptic playground.

... The real solution is to take part in more organised races or leagues here on GTPlanet or elsewhere. Of course it may bring frustration too as race pace is significantly different.

I, too, was completely blown away by the poor driving online. In a game that I expected to be dominated by diehards, it was eye opening to see how many people simply can't drive. But, I believe looking back GT5 was the same way (although GT5 is a much lower skill level of driver on average...I thought anyways) where turn 1 of every online race is a crash fest. I believe that early on, people are still learning the game, the cars, we're all driving with essentially non-tunes, people are struggling to get the game to 'feel' right with all this FFB drama, and the game has a steep learning curve, and for many casual racers like myself, they don't know the track. If the track wasn't in GT5/6 then I don't know it, and I'm guessing every corner. Granted, I have the courtesy to go to the back of the pack at the start when I know I'm on a course I'm not familiar with, but many people aren't like that. My #1 issue with the game right now, is that I'm still driving like I would in GT5/6. The physics are so different, the tracks are different too. I mean, I spent hours last night driving Laguna Seca, and it's night and day difference to the GT6 version.

I just think there's going to be a longer and steeper learning curve for people to adapt to this game.
Plus, as time goes on, the weaker drivers will filter out. The players from less realistic gaming backgrounds will migrate back to their 'fun' games when PCars' novelty of 'new' wears off.

Another huge issue is the inability to kick people out of rooms. Lack of dedicated hosts, etc.
There are currently zero consequences, no accountability or responsibility to being a good driver.
I was hosting a room last night, and for 3 races in a row, a guy who wasn't even at his PS4 anymore kept getting included in every race. So at every start there's a 10 car pile up, as people all slam into 1 guys car who's just sitting idle at the starting grid. And then hope you're lucky enough his car rolled to the side as you come by for lap 2. There was nothing I could do, other than ask people to vote-kick, but we all know how that goes.

And lastly... the contact on track, which leads to the inability to control your car... surely doesn't help. Bumper to bumper and you're locked in the direction you're going until you separate. Touch doors? Locked together until you bounced off a wall hard enough to come unattached. This is the #1 issue with the game for me right now.

Having said that though, I am impressed with how smooth online has been so far. GT5/6 servers had some major lag and connection issues, but PCars with a 16 car field has been working fine. That's really nice to see so early.

Pretty much sums up most of my experiences as well. I think I aborted 6-7 games during my last session. My most horrible race out of all those was at Imola with the GT3 cars. I was unfortunate to end up in last place due to a player who loved to crash into you as soon as you tried to overtake. I really, really tried to look for good opportunities to avoid his stupid behavior but he just ended up getting me every single time. It wasn't until the last lap that I managed to overtake him and by then the other cars was almost about to lap me.

Now if SMS would've actually tested the online mode thoroughly enough they would've surely put something in place to kick these kind of players, but unfortunately that's not the reality of the situation. You just have to pray for the best each time the green lights come on.

And about cars getting stuck to eachother. Is this something that happens in videogames or is it representative of how real world physics works? Because I cannot understand what's going on really and I agree that it's very frustrating.

Rules online seem to be
- no brakes allowed on the first corner
- stop a faster car overtaking you no matter what it takes, even if you're being lapped
- quit if you're last after the first corner
- quit if the race is longer than 3 laps
- it doesn't matter how bad your internet is
- WIN AT ALL COSTS

Haha, yeah that pretty much sums it up. I would also add "Every single part of the track is optimal for overtaking".

Last edited by a moderator:

Your Driver Network Profile tracks many stats relating to your Experience, Focus, and Affinity. But it also tracks your Online Performance and Reputation...

• The number of races entered vs the number completed
    • Breakdown of placement in those races
    • Pole positions achieved in online qualifying sessions
    • Average finishing position and average qualifying position
    • The number of races where you incurred no penalties
    • And the number of races where you were disqualified

So play fair, be successful, and greatness awaits.
Exactly i remember reading something like that, @blowfishrulez , @FLX1981 , @DrJustice any word on the WMD side of things of this still being in the pipeline?

These stats can be found in the driver network profile. What's missing right now is a matching algorithm to find suitable opponents online. I think they need massive amounts of data first to figure out what this matching actually consists of.

Then i read about a "Locker" feature, containing setups and other personalization items, some of them are supposed to be able to be shared.

I don't know when these things are going to be implemented.

At the cost of not blowing our own trumpet you should have a look at the CRAP pCARS Club. Add everyone there from thread 2 as friends mentioning us or GTPLANET and you'll have plenty of decent races. I've only done private online races since the launch and every time I've wanted a race one of us (or other GTPlanet members) has been around. See you soon.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...h-races-sat-11pm-bst-gmt-1-open.327783/unread

Btw a Vote to Kick option is available but like most votes needs more than half the people to vote for it to take effect.

When in the online lobby hit R1 to move over to player names then you can select each person with a range of options and 1 of the options is vote to kick! :D it will come up in the text box that a vtk has been started.....

As for online agree with most that it is a joke at the second:crazy: doing a qualifying lap and go to do a clean overtake to find the driver on my left decides to do a 90 degree right turn straight into my car even though we are flying down the back straight of Monza with no corner in sight:dunce: Maybe his/her wheel came off the car causing them to violently shoot right into an overtaking car or maybe they were one of the complete cocks you come across online 💡

Back