Where can I learn more about sim racing technique?

• Thread starter boxster233
  • 6 comments
United States
United States
boxster233
I'm a very conservative driver. But I'd like to take more risks. Unfortunately when gliding over kerbs, hitting the apex and drifting a bit, I really struggle to recover from slipping and am not sure how to get better at recovering. I think it's a technique thing. Feel like I'm missing techniques or maybe wheel settings that are needed to help corner better and a more responsive turn. Pcars and assetto.

Try this thread :
This is the introduction for a series of upcoming videos where I´ll try to highlight all the little details that set apart average and fast drivers, the so called "aliens". Even if this content will be created using Project CARS, the lessons will apply to any game that takes itself semi-seriously and provides a decent handling model.

I bet some viewers are already familiar with all the content I want to cover -I had the pleasure to share track with some of them already-, but I also bet a majority out there will learn at least a detail or two that they can use to boost their pace over the course of the series. At least that will be the target. Here´s the intro, I´ll keep adding the pieces as they´re completed. I hope it helps!

Practice...practice.....practice.....seat time....seat time....seat time
You have to know every section of the track. The only way to do that is to drive around it over and over and over and over......until you know every corner......then you can go faster......to go faster you have to go slow....

I'm a very conservative driver. But I'd like to take more risks. Unfortunately when gliding over kerbs, hitting the apex and drifting a bit, I really struggle to recover from slipping and am not sure how to get better at recovering. I think it's a technique thing. Feel like I'm missing techniques or maybe wheel settings that are needed to help corner better and a more responsive turn. Pcars and assetto.

There will be books in your local library covering the theory side of race driving and many of the tricks in those are also applicable to sim racing - particularly those relating to the racing line and how to alter your racing line in order to create over taking opportunites.

But I think the biggest time gains come from practising or racing online with faster drivers. Sometimes I can improve by 1 or 2 seconds by following a better driver.

Ideally look for a series which races with default setups and one driver view so that it is a level plying field and just down to driver skill - there will always be someone faster that you can learn from.

The time is probably not convenient as I am in the UK, but I host default setup races, with cockpit view which would be ideal:

AM Poster New.jpg
FF Poster.jpg

Very syupid question do you left foot brake for this?

Edit

I saw the video's and he tells us to brake asap after releasing throttle.
That's why I asked the question.

Sorry for not thinking it through first.

I think you'll find that most fast virtual racers left foot brake.
It allows you you to play with the brakes and accelerator at the same time to keep the car balanced on the edge.

Back