Where did it all begin.

• Thread starter @nndr3w
  • 13 comments
United Kingdom
London
GR00VE-R1DER
I'm sure we have spent many hours playing Gran Turismo over the years, but where did the addiction for this type of game begin?
For me it was a game called "Outrun" in the local arcade. I spent plenty of hours and 10 pence pieces trying to mater this game. Driving a Ferrari with cool music with just a low/high gear. That's what got me hooked :)

What about you?

Last edited:
Rad Racer (1987)

the first racing game I committed time to beating. obviously I had played pole position and all the arcade racers for as long as my quarters lasted but Rad Racer was probably the first racing game that I actually fixated on. Geez, I can't believe I beat that game when I was 9 years old.

For me, it was the original Granturismo . I still have the case and everything, too. I was about four years old at the time.

Grinding to get the NSX GT2 was probably the biggest achievement I made before starting kindergarten. :lol:

That's what got me into racing games, and more importantly, Granturismo is what always brought me back to the series.

I'm reasonably sure we've had at least a few threads with the same basic premise. For now though, I'm moving it to the more appropriate Console & PC Gaming section. 👍

For me it started with Pole Position on an arcade machine in the early/mid 80's. Spent many an evening playing it...
18n2d2aj6ztegjpg.jpg

But also played so many other racing games including (in no particular order):
- Lotus Turbo Challenge (Atari ST)
- Turbo Esprit (Amstrad CPC 6128)
- Formula 1 Grand Prix (Amiga)
- Outrun
- Badlands
- Supercars
- Mario Kart (does that count?)
- All GT's on Playstation

Last edited:
Mine started in the 80s. Rad Racer and Al Unser Jr's Turbo Racer on the NES. Also had Super Off Road and Super Sprint.

I've actually picked up all of those for my current NES except Super Off Road(because stupid expensive).

I remember playing the daylights out of Al Jr once upon a time. Not sure if that really started my racing obsession or not but it was probably one of the earliest that I played and played and played. I think there were other games that I had loved but that one was among the first to have a really good "career" mode.

I've actually picked up all of those for my current NES except Super Off Road(because stupid expensive).

I remember playing the daylights out of Al Jr once upon a time. Not sure if that really started my racing obsession or not but it was probably one of the earliest that I played and played and played. I think there were other games that I had loved but that one was among the first to have a really good "career" mode.

Yeah, that's one of the first racing games I can remember playing. I think I was around 8 or 9. I know my love for racing started away from gaming. I grew up in it. Involved in everything from watching and crewing for family, to corner worker and pit marshal for IMSA. My grandfather raced in SCCA and my cousin raced late models.

First racing game experience was with "**MOTORRACE"

That was in about 1969 I think. Might have been 1970.

It was played on an IBM Call\360 timesharing system using IBM2741 typewriter terminals. IIRC, up to 8 players raced together.

The game was a synchronized turn-based game, with each player entering three numeric parameters at the prompt. The prompt read "G,B,A", standing for gear, brakes, accelerator. I think there were 4 gears, and B and A could be set to 0-9. Single digits speeded up inputs, no commas required.

Once all players had entered their "move", the software calculated the outcome for the next slice of time (maybe 5 seconds, I forget), and replied with a cryptic representation of player speed, position relative to each other and next corner.

Any player who arrived at a corner during a time slice was asked to provide new values for B and A for the remainder of the time slice, thus enabling players to brake into corners and accelerate out. Gear changing mid-corner was not allowed.

Despite the clunkiness of the concept and implementation, players became very excited when the racing was close. There was only one track, and one type of car. Before racing, it was possible to print out a map of the track. Each corner had a maximum speed limit which, if exceeded, would cause the player to spin out and suffer a time penalty.

Advanced players tinkered around with combinations of braking and throttle to tweak acceleration and deceleration so as to arrive at corners at the optimum speed.

The game was written by one developer.

I guess there has been some improvement in racing games over the years, but it has always been fun!

Last edited:
Back