Where I Want Gran Turismo to Go

United States
United States
gaudeamus_xy
1. Gran Turismo is popular enough now that it doesn't need to feel bashful in charging their customers for additional content. Sport is now a serious simulator and like other games of this genre, it should focus on making money off of the few percent of hardcore fans that have no qualms in spending another $60 or more on DLCs. We know that it is a major supporter of the peripheral wheel and racing setup industry, and if there are still people out there that will pay close to $100 on a few metal springs and washers to make their G29 pedals more realistic, I doubt they will care about paying $1.99 for a new car download. I really believe relying on the fans for additional funds for this type of content is the future. Notice the number '7' is no longer found in the current title. Polyphony Digital is no Forza or Need for Speed, their business model is not to cater to those fans that expect a new game every year. They are after perfection. Why turn away from the current game to build a new version down the road? The whole idea of Gran Turismo is building off of the previous iteration anyway and that is how many of its fans view their experiences with the game as well. What do we always do right away? We re-buy our old favorite car, and take it for a run on our old favorite track. Having an established DLC base will allow the community to get more involved in where the studio focuses their efforts. If the goal is to one day match the 1000+ car list of previous games, why not start by polling players on what next car or track should be built into the game?

2. I'm sick and tired of unrealistic damage in the game because I feel that it really sets the tone of how players interact with it. Racing in the real world is so awesome because it is so damn dangerous. Just re-watch the movie Rush to remember how this feels. I want GT Sport to develop more like the F1 games. I want to see marbles, bits of carbon fiber, and whole fenders just flying every which way in a race. Also, if I miss a braking point in the race that results in a head on collision at 200mph, I want to be taken out of the race immediately. Instant game over. In the replay that follows I want to see a twisted square of metal completely engulfed in flames and indistinguishable from a smooth sexy automobile seconds before it. If we had this, there would be no need for those warning screens telling us to obey speed limits and to always wear a seat belt. The point would already have been made. Added to this, if you total your car and you are in some sort of FIA championship event in game, the damages should be coming out of your pocket. Drive like crap, you will go broke. This deterrent alone would allow us to scrap this silly sportmanship rating system currently in place.

3. Remove invisible walls. Most racetracks are closed off anyway after a certain point. Why not render an extra few hundred meters on the sides of the road to add to the realism. On open area rally stages, consider automatically ghosting the car back to track that has gone way off course. I feel GT Sport has gotten better at this point but I am really surprised why this hasn't been fully solved after so many years and across so many games. I would go as far to also suggest a sanbox mode where entire tracks are open. Car too big for the service road? Find a golf cart and continue your journey on the inside of the track. Getting out of the car would open the game up to be more like the old years of Playstation home/grand theft auto. Throw in scape modes of the scenery of inside the track and now you've got a racing experience that is hard to ever put down.

"1." - Yes this is clearly where PD and GTS are going now in the future. However as a PS4 and GTS owner, are you saying that you want to keep shelling out more and more money to a company that already rakes in tens of millions, off of a Sony network that generates hundreds of millions annually? You already paid 60$. Also, if you consider the past at least, PD and the GT series have been probably the most generous out of any franchise imaginable.
Right off the bat when you start the games in the past you have access to literally hundreds of different types of cars and dozens of makes. GT6 was over 1000 and provided "Sport" racing in offline and online modes. This is also true for the game modes and future "updates" which could all easily be sold off as DLC's. So I think its more fair to say that PD and the GT franchise has gone in a different direction, which is uncharacteristic, but inevitable due to the amount of money it cost to develop new games on the latest consoles.

"2" I agree, but GT is not a true sim. If you think so then go over to the PC gamer section and they will show you what a real racing sim looks like. IMO GT is a pseudo-sim that anyone can play, unlike some of the more modern pc sims. However it does a great job at simulating racing physics and providing an overall enjoyable user experience. If it became a true sim and implemented true car damage I think it would lose a lot of everyday gamers who just want to go as fast as possible around a track.

"3" Haha.

I think you findings are very good and bring up good points. However I still believe that GT Sport was created devoid of content only so they could earn more money in the end with DLC's. If you think back to great games, the best ones have always been those who have provided a content rich initial experience. The DLC's are always , imo, the little extras that you could enjoy every now and then. The past 6 GT's have all been like this. I still haven't gotten through half of what GT6 has to offer. Yet GT sport has gone in a different direction and I think we can agree on that at least. Maybe this is just how all PS4 games are, but I definitely can find exceptions.

Sport is now a serious simulator

I stopped reading there.

I'm sorry, it's good at bringing in the masses and I'm having fun with it for what it is.

But serious simulator it is not.

They have the graphics, the livery editor is tons of fun, the circuit challenges are addicting.

I just would like them to focus on physics.
If you're going to release a title with limited content, ie Assetto Corsa, that's fine but you can't call yourself the real driving simulator when we can't even adjust tire pressure.

Enjoy it for what it is, odds are Kaz isn't budging on physics.

Last edited:
I would love to have the opportunity to get into one of the Simulators that the actual Nascar teams use for their up and coming drivers, I believe they even test out some car setups and areo packages with it.

Same with one of the Sims that the Air Force uses for pilot training, now that would be a sim to check out!

Then I could really honestly say how or what a real Sim experience felt like.

Back