Where MR cars are... MR!!

• Thread starter Azuremen
  • 10 comments

Azuremen

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Premium
United States
So I've had EPR for a month or so now, secretly :P

It felt pretty good, but I just got a slap in the face in a manner of speaking. Jumped in the Tommy Kiara ZZ-s thinger... and proceeded to spin out none stop.

Last bit of the racing I did on the PS2 was with the GT4 in a Ruf CTR or something... so I figured how bad would a small MR car be?

Yeah, it kicked my ass. Needless to say, it reminded me completely of my MR2 in real life, with the scary and sudden snapping around and random fits of understeer and then over steer. Plus the whole reacting to every input from my DFP further complicated the issue, as I couldn't sloppy jerk the wheel or gas about.

So, EPR for the win, basically.

Yeah, ~200hp and ~1500lbs aren't exactly friendly on a roadcar, even if the engine were in the "right" place. If you're interested in challenging yourself to another squirrely lightweight, try the Fiat Abarth 1000 TCR. :)

Yeah, that ZZ is a little beast: so difficult to control under high-speed braking. It does make me wonder why anyone would drive a car a car like that IRL, if it was actually that hard to control... :scared:

It's not likely to be that hard to control under road conditions, crusing on a motorway or doing 30mph around town. Lotus Elises handle fantastically, until you exceed the limits. Short wheelbase cars with mid or rear mounted engines have a general tendency to behave like that.

What Dave said. My MR2 is fairly civil up to the point I start pushing it. Then it gets scary as crap if I am not careful.

Wofle, I'll take a look into that Abarth when I get some time, been quite busy as of late. I was just very excited to see how similar the ZZ was to my MR2 when fooling around in the big parking space place.

My MR2 is fairly civil up to the point I start pushing it. Then it gets scary as crap if I am not careful.

Isn't the point about a car like an Elise or the ZZ, to drive it hard? It's not a high-powered luxury sedan after all. Actually the Elise is very well-behaved in EPR, I find - but try applying the brakes on the ZZ at the end of the downhill straight at Burgenslucht ... :scared: Could it REALLY be that squirrely?

They are pure sportscars, no nanny devices, no nonsence. If you push them too much, they will try to kill you. Cars like the ZZ-S arn't designed to be driven fast, easilly, if you want that but a car full of electronic trickery. They are designed to offer a road legal race car experience, and race cars (so I'm told) are bloody difficult to drive.

Isn't the point about a car like an Elise or the ZZ, to drive it hard? It's not a high-powered luxury sedan after all. Actually the Elise is very well-behaved in EPR, I find - but try applying the brakes on the ZZ at the end of the downhill straight at Burgenslucht ... :scared: Could it REALLY be that squirrely?

I've done some heavy braking from over 100 MPH in my MR2... and I had to be very careful with the steering and such because the car just wanted to turn around and go backwards.

Yes, light weight, short wheel base MR cars are that squirrely...

Basically, the rule goes like this...

The more low speed maneuverability and the easier the car is to rotate, the less high speed stability you have.

I've done some heavy braking from over 100 MPH in my MR2... and I had to be very careful with the steering and such because the car just wanted to turn around and go backwards.

Yes, light weight, short wheel base MR cars are that squirrely...
Exactly. Momentum wants the heavier side of the car to lead the way.

Basically, the rule goes like this...

The more low speed maneuverability and the easier the car is to rotate, the less high speed stability you have.
Yup, and that rule is related to the moment of inertia. :)

Exactly. Momentum wants the heavier side of the car to lead the way.

Yup, and that rule is related to the moment of inertia. :)

Thanks, but already aware ;) Mechanical Engineering student that loves to play with physics - I tend to be the only gear head and driver I know that understands the theory behind how cars do what they do as well as know how to drive it.

To me, a short wheel base is fun, which is why I keep getting sad when I hear about wheel bases getting longer on everything :(

Back