where to start in drifting

• Thread starter Novice
  • 14 comments
ginoangelo
hi guys, i'm trying to learn how to drift and so far it's good (but still far from perfect). i'm currently practicing with the amemiya rx7 with comfort mediums on Autumn Ring mini. the best score i've got is around 5.2k and average would be about 2k to 3.2k points. i know it's very low that's why i'm here asking for tips and lessons on how to get better.

please give me advice on setup and drifting techniques as i'm having a hard time making consistent and flowy drifts and mostly ends with a snapback.

PS: i'm using a G25.

thanks who ever replies.:)

Last edited:
Try something with less HP then the Amemiya FD like a Honda S2000 or Nissan Silvia series, Mazda Rx7 (FD3S and the FC3S infinity ). The BMI's Drift bible is also a good place to start to get a good idea how to drift. Otherwise, find a track like Trial Mountain and practice practice and practice.

i've seen the drift bible before. the problem i want to solve now is how to keep my forward momentum and a proper setup. but i'll take your advice, i'll look for that shigeno hachi on the used lot.

thanks!

I would say come out of the drift trial and go to the free run, amemiya drifts quite well so go on and practice on that.
All else i can say is practice, practice and practice some more.

After you can drift quite nicely go on and start testing out different setups for suspesion and LSD so you can drift your car more comfortably. Do not rely on other peoples setups to drift, you might learn something from them but tweak those setups for your own likeing.

Trial and error is how the best drifters learned...

The plain AE86 is an amazing noob car, I went from doing 2k drifts to doing 10k drifts with it in a day.

All you need a is few bolt ons to get the HP to about 150, the comfort hard tires and an LSD set to 10/40/20 and stock suspension. It takes a bit of messing around but it is really stable and keeps the right angle very well. Also some camber and toe tuning doesn't hurt.

As others have hinted at, lower horsepower an lots of practice will benefit you in the long run. If all possible its best to not worry about your points too much and just try to be smooth. Also, the more you stick with one car the quicker youll see results. Doing different tracks instead of the same one can help a lot as well as it makes you well-versed in a variety of corners. The course generator can be a good place to practice, make the road as wide as possible and work in some nice looking corners and hit the track. Good luck 👍

I've been learning with an S13 with around 250hp, coilovers, LSD, clutch & flywheel, weight reduction stage 1 and comfort medium tyres and it feels spot on for learning, not over powered but enough power to push for corners

I've been learning with an S13 with around 250hp, coilovers, LSD, clutch & flywheel, weight reduction stage 1 and comfort medium tyres and it feels spot on for learning, not over powered but enough power to push for corners

+1 👍

Exact same car, exact same mods.

sure the flywheel helps revving quickly, but you don't want one too light as the strain on the drivetrain can sometimes end up bogging down the rotational mass as you're sliding through corners, a heavier flywheel can help maintain your RPMs at an optimal level. same with the overall weight of the vehicle, sometimes it might be too light and fall short after you hit your apex if you're not spinning your wheels with consistency. It's all preference, but there are other things to consider when tuning your car.

Also, changing the brake bias will be helpfull.
Got mine setup to 2-front and 7-rear.
Combined with 0 ABS,
Its really good if your using the dfgt so you can use the brake as e-brake without having to find the 'O' button in the middle of a drift.

drifting with a pad is easier. i've managed to up my score to 8k with the '02 FD3S in the same track.

consequently i think i now know where i'm having trouble, it's my wheel-work. my hands are slow at countersteering using the G25. but when i'm playng with a pad, i can drift relatively better.

Also, changing the brake bias will be helpfull.
Got mine setup to 2-front and 7-rear.
Combined with 0 ABS,
Its really good if your using the dfgt so you can use the brake as e-brake without having to find the 'O' button in the middle of a drift.

thats not always a good thing, you need stronger front brakes most of the time, if you need to brake hard from the rear, then use your ebrake...
sometimes you need to slowdown your front tires only to correct or maintain angle. Especially when initiating drifts too, brake hard to dip the front end down and take the weight off the rear so you can break traction easier

consequently i think i now know where i'm having trouble, it's my wheel-work. my hands are slow at countersteering using the G25. but when i'm playng with a pad, i can drift relatively better.
Perhaps, but if you can learn how to feint/weight shift, you only need to use short, quick snaps of the wheel, and it's not like you need to go full lock on the wheel when counter steering

Perhaps, but if you can learn how to feint/weight shift, you only need to use short, quick snaps of the wheel, and it's not like you need to go full lock on the wheel when counter steering

i use feints, mostly on the first corner coming from straights or high speed corners. i'll try it again with the wheel on the same car and see how it feels.

Back