Which Apple (iMac) to PC remote access software?

• Thread starter AMG.
  • 7 comments

AMG.

Staff Emeritus
Netherlands
NL, Leiden
GTP_AMG
SITUATION:
My 85 year old dad resides in the UK and I live in the Netherlands.
His computer skills are ok to browse the web and do some emailing but I notice he’s getting a bit forgetful – e.g. he forgot what the ‘Enter’ key was.
He’s on a PC with I believe Windows 10 (but it could be an older version).
I’m on an iMac with Apple’s latest OS.

QUESTION:
Which software would you recommend that allows met to remotely connect to his PC so IF needed I can help him out.
I’m looking for something simple that works and is safe. I don’t plan to use if often and it doesn’t need to be able to send a rocket to the moon either.

Your thoughts and advice appreciated!

SITUATION:
My 85 year old dad resides in the UK and I live in the Netherlands.
His computer skills are ok to browse the web and do some emailing but I notice he’s getting a bit forgetful – e.g. he forgot what the ‘Enter’ key was.
He’s on a PC with I believe Windows 10 (but it could be an older version).
I’m on an iMac with Apple’s latest OS.

QUESTION:
Which software would you recommend that allows met to remotely connect to his PC so IF needed I can help him out.
I’m looking for something simple that works and is safe. I don’t plan to use if often and it doesn’t need to be able to send a rocket to the moon either.

Your thoughts and advice appreciated!

Your best bet would be the try Microsoft's own Remote Desktop App which is free from the Mac App Store.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/microsoft-remote-desktop-8-0/id715768417?mt=12

RDP is no good. It would not be an interactive session and port 3389 will need to be forwarded to his PC (which would also be a security risk).

I would suggest he installs TeamViewer.

I would suggest he installs TeamViewer.

Yeah, whilst googling for info TeamViewer was in the results and I had a brief look at it.

Just to clarify your comment above if I may.
Dad installs teamviewer
I install teamviewer
We both install it?

Cheers,
Rob

Yeah, whilst googling for info TeamViewer was in the results and I had a brief look at it.

Just to clarify your comment above if I may.
Dad installs teamviewer
I install teamviewer
We both install it?

Cheers,
Rob

Correct. Both clients can be used as the connector or receiver. You will both get an ID and a password. Put his ID and password in to your client and voila.

Dang, just reread my post. I meant to write Dad or I or both but yeah it makes sense we both need to install. Thx!

Teamviewer.

Tell him to download the quicksupport version which is a double click thing, he gives you the ID number and password(randomly generated each time)
You just install the normal version and you just punch those in and connect.

Back