Which console to buy?

• Thread starter AlPh4Kil1
  • 24 comments
I'm looking to buy either a PS3 or an Xbox 360, for Forza 4 or GT5. Now I am happy with either game but I have trouble deciding because I have a G25, the shifter won't work but I can do without it because its not a great shifter anyway.
So do I go with the Xbox + Forza and give the G25 to a family member? Or should I keep the G25 and buy a PS3 + GT5?
I'm also pretty interested in kinect for the family to play aswell...
How well does Kinect go with Forza?

360 all the way. I use to be on the PS3 side, but with the way GT5 let me down, and how much better I think xbox live is, I haven't played a PS3 game in months. My wife even got me uncharted 3 for christmas and it's still in the wrapper. If you have real friends that you want to play with, the 360 is the way to go also. Party chat is just so nice, for any game. The idiots online drive me crazy and party chat fixes that problem. Every person I know in real life that has both consoles never turns their PS3 on. They either have them in the closet or just use them for the blue ray player.

You do have a G25 though, so if it's just for racing games it would be hard to recommend the 360 unless your going to buy a fanatec wheel to use with forza.

Really though, you must have a decent PC since you have the G25, so why do you want a console for racing games? There are new Rfactor and GTR games on the way, Plus the C.A.R.S game and they will blow away GT5 and Forza. I've played every racing game consoles have, and PC sims are where it's at. The consoles can't even come close to them. I can't even play GT5 because of the screen tearing and frame rate drops. After getting use to playing super smooth PC sims I just can't take it in GT5.

This thread is going to be a nightmare:)

If it's down to the racing game alone, it depends what you want in a racing game. GT5 offers better driving physics.

Forza 4 offers more in-depth customisation, a better career mode, closer community interaction with the developers, a greater range of cars (Even if they have less overall) etc.

If Forza 4 had better driving physics i'd be playing that right now, it is such a big factor that can not be ignored. Forza offers fun/relaxed gameplay whereas GT5 is a little more serious, to get a lot out of GT5 you need to put in more effort.

The consoles are very evenly matched both in performance and cost. Xbox Live offsets the cheaper console price it has over the PS3 and in terms of cross-platform games the performance is usually to the lowest common denominator, so no console has an advantage unless the developer clearly favours one over the over without spending time to test and optimise the ported version (e.g. Bethesda with Skyrim).

I've never used Kinect but if you're serious about playing Forza 4 I would say it's a no go. If you're happy playing the the controller, you could get Kinect for the family and everybody will be happy.

Get a PS3 Slim - it's much more reliable than the 360.

Both of the current iterations of consoles are very reliable. It was only the early generation Xbox 360s that were unreliable because of problems with overheating; problems which have since been rectified because of the use of improved manufacturing processes, resulting in lower nm chips which give off less heat for the same processing power. I think the early iterations used 90nm or even 120nm chips, now they use 45nm chips or lower.

In short, the current Xbox 360s do not suffer from the same design fault that caused the infamous Red Ring of Death.

Compare how many friends you have on either PS3 or Xbox. Will you get other games for each console eventually? E.g If your thinking of getting Battlefield, get the PS3 because map packs come a week early and I think the graphics are slightly better on the PS3. If you're a COD person then get the Xbox because DLC comes a month early. Personally, I'm not a very serious racer so I prefer Forza because of its customisation, car selection etc. If you want something really serious, then upgrade your PC for rFactor or C.A.R.S. There're also the console exclusives apart from GT and Forza. You like Halo? Get an Xbox. ModNation or Uncharted? Get a PS3.

I got a PS3 firstly for GT5 but grew bored of it. But most of my friends all have PS3s so that's another reason. Another main reason why I got the ps3 was because of the exclusives. WipEout is an amazing game, I loved ModNation when I was borrowing it and I can't wait to get The Last of Us (new Naught Dog game).

Good luck choosing 👍

theotherspongey
Well...

PS3 = Gran Turismo 5, Black Ops

Xbox 360 = Forza Motorsport 4, Modern Warfare 3

Pretty much.

Black ops and modern warfare arent exclusives?

theotherspongey
I know they aren't. That's just what games people tend to play.

Oh. Well I'm not your average console guy then.

I own both consoles but neither B3 or MW78.

Be nice for the OP to state what he uses at present. I imagine PC. If so, stick with that.

If it's down to the racing game alone, it depends what you want in a racing game. GT5 offers better driving physics.

Forza 4 offers more in-depth customisation, a better career mode, closer community interaction with the developers, a greater range of cars (Even if they have less overall) etc.

If Forza 4 had better driving physics i'd be playing that right now, it is such a big factor that can not be ignored. Forza offers fun/relaxed gameplay whereas GT5 is a little more serious, to get a lot out of GT5 you need to put in more effort.

Could not disagree more, but this is not the right place to discuss it.....

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6657163#post6657163

this however, if you interested.

Scaff

Depends on your individual preferations. In general, GT5 has very good driving physics, awesome graphics but ****** engine sounds. Forza 4, however, stands for badass engine sounds, good graphics and mediocre driving physics. Furthermore, if you'd like to play online then I would recommend to buy a PS3 because Sony doesn't charge you money whereas Microsoft does.

Could not disagree more, but this is not the right place to discuss it.....

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6657163#post6657163

this however, if you interested.

Scaff

Fair enough, we disagree on the physics, neither is quite a sim but both are far beyond arcade, I wasn't insinuating that Forza was in the same boat as Need for Speed, as it is not the case 👍. Forza 4 is the overall better game but you can't play it with a G25 (Or a G27... :(), hence my recommendation to go with the 360 if he is ok with using a controller (Or willing to sell the G25 and invest in a Fanatec wheel).

-

By the sounds of it an Xbox 360 may be a better option. It may be worth looking at what sort of games your family will play, and whether they would prefer Kinect or PS Move.

I'm struggling to find any reason to go for the PS3 at this point, beyond you owning a G25.

Buy a PS3. No matter what you hear, the xbox 360 is a piece of ****.

incorrect, I used to hate xbox with a passion. I only bought one for forza and now I find myself using my xbox more then my ps3. both have their goods and bads.

..............imo get the xbox for forza, or do what I did and just buy both.

if you can not buy both, then get the one that most of your friends have so you can play with them.

I'm thinking of just buying a cheap used xbox just to use for Forza, because I didn't really plan to play a lot of games. I used to own an xbox and eventually got bored of it and sold it off to get a new PC.
My PC is pretty decent, 2500k @3.3ghz, 8gb ram and a GTX 560.

I'm thinking of just buying a cheap used xbox just to use for Forza, because I didn't really plan to play a lot of games. I used to own an xbox and eventually got bored of it and sold it off to get a new PC.
My PC is pretty decent, 2500k @3.3ghz, 8gb ram and a GTX 560.

Your PC is good enough to run anything. Why not just get the 360 for the family fun games, and skip forza and GT5 all together. They really can't compare to the PC sims. With the 4 new sims coming out soon, and iracing, there's no reason to waste your time with any of the console racers. Keep your G25 and get an iracing subscription, then when the new sims start rolling out later this year, you will be in sim racing heaven.

Get a used console. Unless you want the factory warranty, a used console should suffice.

I'd say PS3 because its gaming is really hitting its stride and you don't need a subscription service to play games online. Unless Microsoft changed that.

Back