Which had the rear taillights of the R34, R33, etc. first?

If you mean the four round tail lights, corvettes had them starting in 1960 I believe.

edit: that may have just been a concept, but they definitely had four round tail lights in the 80s.
After google imaging some pictures though, I'm pretty sure they had them in 60s, in the first generation.
 
alright.. thanks!

I don't know anything at all about the skylines though. If it was just in the past 2 generations, the corvette had them first.

However, there no doubt was a car before the corvette that had 4 round lights in the back. It's not all that unusual.
 
I believe in 1963, the Prince Skyline 1500 deluxe (S50D) was the first Skyline to have the signature circle tail lights.
 
I believe in 1963, the Prince Skyline 1500 deluxe (S50D) was the first Skyline to have the signature circle tail lights.
THANK YOU MA MEN!!!!!!!!!! NOW I WON THE ARGUMENT! HHAHAHAHA.. THANKS BRO!:sly::sly::sly::sly::sly::sly::sly:
 
Corvette C2 came out in 1963 too and it had the round tail lights.

793975106_c7389bf56f.jpg


Further research shows that latter C1 models (1961-1962) also featured rounded lights.

l-1165722989-03.jpg
 
Last edited:
THANK YOU MA MEN!!!!!!!!!! NOW I WON THE ARGUMENT! HHAHAHAHA.. THANKS BRO!:sly::sly::sly::sly::sly::sly::sly:

Well... wiki says 1961 for the vette.. just saying.

"For 1961, a complete redesign was made to the rear of the car; a "duck tail" with four round lights. The light treatment would continue for all following model year Corvettes"

Unless you were trying to prove the Vette had them first.
 
Last edited:
Well to be fair, both the Corvette and Skyline with round tail lights were released to the public in the same year, 1963. It's a tie! :lol:
 
Well to be fair, both the Corvette and Skyline with round tail lights were released to the public in the same year, 1963. It's a tie! :lol:

:cheers: We can all get along.
Next challenge, find the first car of any make to have 4 round tail lights :)
 
Well to be fair, both the Corvette and Skyline with round tail lights were released to the public in the same year, 1963. It's a tie! :lol:

The post above yours has something to say about that.
 
:cheers: We can all get along.
Next challenge, find the first car of any make to have 4 round tail lights :)

Haha, that's going to take some real research.


The post above yours has something to say about that.

It may have been designed and/or showcased in 1961, but it was only purchasable in 1963.

EDIT: I've done some more research and the S50 Skyline was also designed in 1961. And both the Corvette and Skyline began production in 1962. This is actually pretty interesting.
 
Last edited:
Someone say 4 round tail lights? 1958 Ford Thunderbird.

mufp_0709_05_z+1958_ford_thunderbird_convertible+taillight.jpg
 
Last edited:
I got 6 on a '60 ferrari. I think 8 would be over-kill. :o

2unyoti.jpg
 
Then eat some of this!

jimsgrn1949-91.jpg


1949 VW Beetle

Ford-Model-T-Sedan-in-Black1.jpg


^ Ford T :dopey:
 
Good find on the C1 Corvette dark_ruffo. 👍
I guess the 'Vette wins it.
 
He never said dual taillights.
Everyone said 4 round tail lights. Which equates to 2 on each side.

I'm racking my brains trying to think of something from the 50s that might have had such a configuration.
 
Ahh yes, sorry, it most certainly does.

I was just playing, I'm still looking for more (can you tell I'm bored at work?). I found several that have round smaller round lights stacked, but they're not really the same style.
 
Depending on your acceptance of indicators as taillights, at least one of these has four taillights:
large_1960+Datsun+Fairlady+roadster+-+white+red+-+rvr.jpg

1966_Datsun_SPL311_Fairlady_Roadster_Rear_1.jpg

Both 1960 Datsuns, according to Google images. I'm not sure if the second one is the stock styling though.

Also, the Corvette may be the first to phase out those taillights, with this:
2012-corvette11.jpg

being a concept for the 2012 C7
 
Last edited:
Hmm, do you mean the iconic round taillights that has being on every Skyline since the 2nd Gen, or just simply dual pair taillights overall?
 
This is a 77 skyline I think datsun/nissan stole the idea like they did all their ideas :)
digiads_car_ads_136098_1.jpg
 
Back