Which Headset? £70 limit.PS4 

England
England
kilesa4568
I've been shopping around (and looked at umpteen reviews) for a headset for the PS4 but I'm having a nightmare deciding which one to get. *Maximum price of £70.

*I know there's slightly better choice at £80 but I started at £50 and kept asking the missus to add a bit. Two £10 increases later, she's growling at me when I hint at £10 more so for my safety's sake, I'm sticking to £70 before she drops me back to £50. Please don't say..."for £10 more...".:lol:

My shortlist is down to those listed below but if you know of a headset for the same price, let me know so I can look for reviews please? If you've got experience with any of these headsets though, I'd love to hear a small review off you. Sound, build, mic, features. That sort of thing.

90% of the time, they'll be used with the PS4 and 10% for listening to music on the PC. I'm prioritising console sound but I'm still hoping for a decent sound stage for my music. Too much to ask for from a headset at this price?

SONY PS4 Gold Wireless 7.1
HYPERX Cloud II Pro 7.1
HYPERX Cloud Alpha
RAZER Kraken Pro V2
CORSAIR HS60 7.1
ASTRO A10

Regarding the 7.1, is it worth getting for the PS4 and does it have to be the Sony Gold or Platinum headsets to get the surround sound? Kinda confusing with all the 3D Audio, VSS and/or losing surround connecting with 3.5mm over USB stuff.

I've been shopping around (and looked at umpteen reviews) for a headset for the PS4 but I'm having a nightmare deciding which one to get. *Maximum price of £70.

*I know there's slightly better choice at £80 but I started at £50 and kept asking the missus to add a bit. Two £10 increases later, she's growling at me when I hint at £10 more so for my safety's sake, I'm sticking to £70 before she drops me back to £50. Please don't say..."for £10 more...".:lol:

My shortlist is down to those listed below but if you know of a headset for the same price, let me know so I can look for reviews please? If you've got experience with any of these headsets though, I'd love to hear a small review off you. Sound, build, mic, features. That sort of thing.

90% of the time, they'll be used with the PS4 and 10% for listening to music on the PC. I'm prioritising console sound but I'm still hoping for a decent sound stage for my music. Too much to ask for from a headset at this price?

SONY PS4 Gold Wireless 7.1
HYPERX Cloud II Pro 7.1
HYPERX Cloud Alpha
RAZER Kraken Pro V2
CORSAIR HS60 7.1
ASTRO A10

Regarding the 7.1, is it worth getting for the PS4 and does it have to be the Sony Gold or Platinum headsets to get the surround sound? Kinda confusing with all the 3D Audio, VSS and/or losing surround connecting with 3.5mm over USB stuff.

Hyper X's are great value for the money. I was amazed when i saw the quality and build of the product and the packaging is something youd expect from really expensive headsets double the price.

Mic is fine, no complaints from friends online. Its detachable also, And the boom is flexable. Sound is good on the gaming side of things, Directional audio Etc. Actual sound quality wise im not much of an audiophile so i cant go into too much detail but i find them fine for music also.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.👍

All the reviews say the same so that's a good nod to the Hyper's. The Cloud II Pro comes with a mini USB DAC that should increase the sound quality on the PC too. Will I have 7.1 (virtual) on the console though?

Thanks for the reply.👍

All the reviews say the same so that's a good nod to the Hyper's. The Cloud II Pro comes with a mini USB DAC that should increase the sound quality on the PC too. Will I have 7.1 (virtual) on the console though?

*Twitches*

For the love of sanity, do not buy surround sound headphones. I can go into a whole thing of why you shouldn't because psychoacoustics, but get yourself some good stereo headphones, like the HyperX's. I think the overall design is still a repackaged Takstar Pro80 so they're great.

I used to have some Logitech G933's that did surround sound pretty good in PC games and that's the main reason I want to try it out on the console. Music's a small part of it but I'll be able to switch to stereo for that. The drivers look (and review) like they're decent in the Cloud Pro so they can't sound that bad for music anyway. As long as it's not a muddy sound, I'll be satisfied.

Id go with a second hand astro mix amp which will do up to 7.1 surround sound. Then you can use any headphones you want, preferably ones with 50mm drivers for better sound quality. There you go. Make sure your cable 3.5 jacks have 3 rings to support microphone aswell. Shop around and this is all under £70.

I have the Logitech G430 headset and I love it. The only bad part is you need to buy one of these adapters so you can use the mic on PS4, it comes with a USB adapter for PC. The cord is also very long and gets tangled very easily, but that's not really a big deal.

514r7X5xNxL._SY450_.jpg

Amazon link

Last edited:
My empressions above were based on the first model Hyper X clouds. I have been contemplating purchasing the Hyper X II's for a while as my originals are a bit worse for wear. So inspired by this thread i have decided to purchase a pair.:)👍

£70 on amazon. Only £10 more then my pair of originals cost.

Last edited:
Id go with a second hand astro mix amp which will do up to 7.1 surround sound. Then you can use any headphones you want, preferably ones with 50mm drivers for better sound quality. There you go. Make sure your cable 3.5 jacks have 3 rings to support microphone aswell. Shop around and this is all under £70.

The cheapest 2nd hand Mixamp I could find was £25, or some 2nd hand A40's with included Mixamp for £85. Looking at the cans, they deserve a guest appearance on NCIS. Lots of unknown substances on them. Why people don't clean things before taking a picture is beyond me..

Good idea with the Mixamp but I'd probably struggle to find cans that could do it justice with the money left.

I have the Logitech G430 headset and I love it. The only bad part is you need to buy one of these adapters so you can use the mic on PS4, it comes with a USB adapter for PC. The cord is also very long and gets tangled very easily, but that's not really a big deal.

I looked at the newer G433's but they didn't review too well for music. 'Muddy' gets mentioned a lot and they couldn't EQ it out. Logitech's Pro G's looked good but they recently had a price cut (to £60 from £85) and seem to be sold out everywhere.

Top choices are the Cloud II or the Alpha. The Alpha's analogue but I've no DAC to plug them into. I'd need a sound card (or Mixamp...) to justify them. Or the Cloud II which have a DAC but slightly compromised sound quality from a lack of bass.

They're both stocked in a shop near me and I'm wondering if they'll let me test them before I choose.

My empressions above were based on the first model Hyper X clouds. I have been contemplating purchasing the Hyper X II's for a while as my originals are a bit worse for wear. So inspired by this thread i have decided to purchase a pair.:)👍

£70 on amazon. Only £10 more then my pair of originals cost.

Picking mine up on Friday. I dithered over the Alpha's with their better sound quality but with me using onboard (Realtek) sound, I doubt I'd be able to do them justice. The Cloud II's DAC swung it for me in the end. It might not be that good compared to a cheap sound card like a Xonar DGX but it should still be an improvement. I'll at least get more volume.

Just for info, as long as you have 50 mm drivers in the cans to maximise quality and clarity, the amp/mixamp/sound card will be responsible for 5.1, surround, 3d and amount of volume, not the headphones themselves. I personally Really struggle to tell any difference between cheaper 50 mm driver cans and top of the range 50mm driver cans when powered with amps or cards. Your amp/card is key here. Hope this has made things a little clearer.

I bought an Audigy Pro not long after it came out and the difference between onboard and sound card blew my socks off. Nothing fancy for cans (Sennheiser HD505's) but they had the most detailed sound I'd ever heard after switching to the Audigy. Jaw dropping listening to classical. Lots of "I never noticed that before..." moments.

Tempted to pick up a DGX for its amp now. The missus isn't going to be happy...

I bought an Audigy Pro not long after it came out and the difference between onboard and sound card blew my socks off. Nothing fancy for cans (Sennheiser HD505's) but they had the most detailed sound I'd ever heard after switching to the Audigy. Jaw dropping listening to classical. Lots of "I never noticed that before..." moments.

Tempted to pick up a DGX for its amp now. The missus isn't going to be happy...

Dont forget to do this if you want the 7.1 surround on PS4.

https://www.hyperxgaming.com/us/sup...ame=HyperX_Cloud_II_Firmware_Updater_Rev_0010

Only for PS4 functionality, No need if using on PC.

Picked them up today and thanks for the heads up on updating.👍

Seriously comfortable headset and great build quality. Decent sound stage out of the box for PC music but it should improve when they loosen up. The surround sound in GT Sport sounds good, especially inside car. Plenty of detail coming through.

The main drawback I've found is the mic's noise cancelling is too severe if you use the DAC on console. My voice was clear but it lost a lot of volume. Switched to analogue with the 3.5mm jack and pad, crystal clear and plenty of volume after that.

I'm happy with them.👍

Picked them up today and thanks for the heads up on updating.👍

Seriously comfortable headset and great build quality. Decent sound stage out of the box for PC music but it should improve when they loosen up. The surround sound in GT Sport sounds good, especially inside car. Plenty of detail coming through.

The main drawback I've found is the mic's noise cancelling is too severe if you use the DAC on console. My voice was clear but it lost a lot of volume. Switched to analogue with the 3.5mm jack and pad, crystal clear and plenty of volume after that.

I'm happy with them.👍

Great news, How was the update procedure? Ill need to do that when mine arrive in a few days.

Back